Jimmy Andrew /SS Runic

Jimmy Andrew
11th January 2010, 01:15
I logged on to this about 5 years ago, but seem to have lost the threads.
I welcome any contact regarding the above vessel, and any other Shaw Savill
vessels from 1957 to 1965.

John Crossland
11th January 2010, 07:05
Hi Jimmy,

Welcome back to SN. (Thumb)

I enjoyed your photos of the Runic on the reef, posted recently by GWB.

Would you have any more ?

GWB
11th January 2010, 07:49
G'Day mate welcome back I may get back to Free'o later this year just depends on shore Bosun's plans. Have the SSA reunion in April in New Plymouth maybe you could be there.

Cheers
GWB

non descript
11th January 2010, 08:38

Welcome back Jimmy. (Thumb)

R58484956
11th January 2010, 09:55
Greetings Jim and welcome back, try to stay this time. Bon voyage.

bert thompson
11th January 2010, 10:23
Belated welcome. Hope you stay and enjoy all on this great site
Best wishes
Bert.

billyboy
11th January 2010, 23:10
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to offer

ernhelenbarrett
12th January 2010, 05:54
Welcome back Jimmy. I was Sparks on the Alaric/GWRQ who took the salvage gear up to the reef along with bunkers for the tug and the Salvage expert and we drifted off the reef for about a week transferring the gear by lifeboat. We were in Brisbane with the Runic and got the word just after midnight, had all hands checking the charts and the decision was made to load the salvage gear and sail for Middleton. You could still see the part wreck of a sailing vessel on the radar when approaching the reef. Once the salvage gear etc was discharged we sailed for Sydney/Melbourne/Adelaide/Fremantle/Genoa and London. The R/O on the Runic had to dismantle all the radio/radar gear
himself and transfer it by lifeboat to another vessel. I believe the last blokes to leave the Runic also had a scare on the charter aircraft going home and had to make an emergency landing due to engine trouble or something
Regards Ern Barrett

jimmymc
21st April 2012, 14:57

Hi. Jimmy
My name is Jim Mc Shane i sailed with you on the Runic & was onboard when she ran aground. I am new to this site so i'm not sure how it works. However if you wish to get in touch i will follow this thread.
Regards
Jim

chief's daughter
29th June 2012, 14:17
My dad, Eric Deverell, was an engineer on the Runic when it ran aground. I don't know what rank I'm afraid, by the time I was old enough to have memories of him sailing he was chief engineer, but don't think he was back then. I see you live in Freo. I live in Rockingham. Dad will be 100 years old in January.

Colin Harrison
8th December 2012, 08:10

Hi Jimmy
Colin Harrison 5th engineer SS Runic when she was grounded it was great working with you in the weeks we spent trying to float her. I still have a laugh about the distress rocket incident.
Make contact Jim
Colin

robert the bruce
9th December 2012, 22:01
Hello Jimmy.
Welcome home again. Gothic, Dec 64------ April 65

Vindi Phil
17th December 2012, 12:21

Hi! Jim, I've just seen your message regarding the "Runic" and was going to send you some photos of her wrecked on the Middleton Rock, Australia but I see someone has beaten me to it. The stern section laies a way from the bow section in them. I was in Brisbane at the time of the grounding on the "Port Napier". Glad no-one lost their lives on her.
Vindi Phil.

Brian Brown
6th March 2013, 11:57
Hi Jim
Re your note of 11 Jan 2010
I am retired and live in Mandurah. I sailed with SS and A from 1960 - Persic until 1974 - Northern Star.
Time served on the following ships
Persic, Suevic, Gothic, then transferred to Crusader Shipping Company with service on Saracen, Crusader, Amalric and Knight Templar...back to the home fleet serving on Britannic, Amalric, Akaroa, Arawa, Megantic, Iberic, Zealandic, Ionic, Medic, Durango and finally NS.
I believe I met you at some stage either Persic, Suevic, or Gothic...Persic being most likely, I was 4th Eng...2nd Engineers were Bill Gray/Alan Bacon/Donald McDonald.
I would appreciate an opportunity to have a chat maybe in one of those nice coffee shops in Freo.
Regards
Brian (Joe) Brown
Contact details on site...

Brian Brown
6th March 2013, 12:17
My dad, Eric Deverell, was an engineer on the Runic when it ran aground. I don't know what rank I'm afraid, by the time I was old enough to have memories of him sailing he was chief engineer, but don't think he was back then. I see you live in Freo. I live in Rockingham. Dad will be 100 years old in January.

I was 4th Engineer aboard TSS Persic (Sister to Runic) during that sad period. After leaving Persic I sailed on the Gothic with Alan McDiarmid as C/Eng and Donald McDonald as Second.
I am retired and live in Mandurah.
My contact details are available on this site
Regards to your Dad
Brian (Joe) Brown

Colin Harrison
24th March 2013, 03:41
Hi Jimmy
It would be nice to connect and mull over some of the things that happened while we were on the reef.
Colin

Colin Harrison
24th March 2013, 03:47
Hi. Jimmy
My name is Jim Mc Shane i sailed with you on the Runic & was onboard when she ran aground. I am new to this site so i'm not sure how it works. However if you wish to get in touch i will follow this thread.
Regards
Jim
Hi Jim
I was an engineer on the Runic when it went aground what position did you hold
Colin

jimmymc
20th April 2013, 15:19
Hi Jim
I was an engineer on the Runic when it went aground what position did you hold
Colin

Hello Colin,
This is very strange as I was discharged as 5th engineer of SS Runic on 27/03/1961 in Sydney.
The only thing i can think of that may account for this was I was acting 4th as the original 4th was transferred to another vessel in Brisbane. Cant remember his name but he was a Geordie.
Jimmy Andrews published a photograph of some of the crew outside the Hotel Cecil I am the one holding the camera.

Regards
Jim

Colin Harrison
21st April 2013, 05:28
Hello Colin,
This is very strange as I was discharged as 5th engineer of SS Runic on 27/03/1961 in Sydney.
The only thing i can think of that may account for this was I was acting 4th as the original 4th was transferred to another vessel in Brisbane. Cant remember his name but he was a Geordie.
Jimmy Andrews published a photograph of some of the crew outside the Hotel Cecil I am the one holding the camera.

Regards
Jim

Jim
My Discharge book shows I was signed on the Runic in Southampton as Jun 5th Eng if my memory serves me right it was because of your intended promotion to 4th. I was on the 4-8 with the 2nd and a junior you I believe were on the 8-12 as 4th don't remember the other 4th, I might even have that wrong. Intrigue aside we were both on the Runic when she went aground. I would love to see that photo you mentioned.
Colin

jimmymc
23rd April 2013, 14:23
Jim
My Discharge book shows I was signed on the Runic in Southampton as Jun 5th Eng if my memory serves me right it was because of your intended promotion to 4th. I was on the 4-8 with the 2nd and a junior you I believe were on the 8-12 as 4th don't remember the other 4th, I might even have that wrong. Intrigue aside we were both on the Runic when she went aground. I would love to see that photo you mentioned.
Colin

Hello Colin
If you go into the Gallery, select Search & enter Runic, the photo can be found on the second page along with some others taken on the Reef.
Regards
jimmymc

Colin Harrison
25th April 2013, 04:24
Hello Colin
If you go into the Gallery, select Search & enter Runic, the photo can be found on the second page along with some others taken on the Reef.
Regards
jimmymc

Thanks Jim
I have seen the photo and of course recognize the Chief and Second I think the chap in the front and the one with bushy hair were re-fridge engineers not sure though. my wife produced a photo of what we believe to be us in a park some where in Australia. I was encouraged by one of her Aunts to document what happened to us on the reef and have done so it's not completed yet.
I think you are still not sure who I am so I will correct this problem for you. Come back to me.
TAFFY

jimmymc
28th April 2013, 15:00
Thanks Jim
I have seen the photo and of course recognize the Chief and Second I think the chap in the front and the one with bushy hair were re-fridge engineers not sure though. my wife produced a photo of what we believe to be us in a park some where in Australia. I was encouraged by one of her Aunts to document what happened to us on the reef and have done so it's not completed yet.
I think you are still not sure who I am so I will correct this problem for you. Come back to me.
TAFFY

Hello Colin,
From the right looking at the photo, its the Marconi Radio Operator, Jimmy Edwards (3rd eng), Jim McShane (4th eng), Deck Officer (unknown), Chief Sparks (he did an interview I think on U-Tube some time ago), another Deck Officer (could be 2nd or 3rd) and finally an engineer who joined us on the reef to assist in the salvage attempt).
Hope this helps.
Regards
Jim

Colin Harrison
29th April 2013, 04:16
Hello Colin,
From the right looking at the photo, its the Marconi Radio Operator, Jimmy Edwards (3rd eng), Jim McShane (4th eng), Deck Officer (unknown), Chief Sparks (he did an interview I think on U-Tube some time ago), another Deck Officer (could be 2nd or 3rd) and finally an engineer who joined us on the reef to assist in the salvage attempt).
Hope this helps.
Regards
Jim

Jim
Your memory of these people is obviously better than mine so sixty four thousand dollar question is do you r ember the non smoking welsh engineer
Taffy

jimmymc
29th April 2013, 16:47
Jim
Your memory of these people is obviously better than mine so sixty four thousand dollar question is do you r ember the non smoking welsh engineer
Taffy

Hello Colin,
Im sorry to say I cant remember you and I should if you were a non-smoker in those days. I find that a photograph helps to stimulate the memory sometimes as it does in that particular one. Did you look at any of the other photos in the Gallery. If so do you remember any of those people?
Regards
Jim

Colin Harrison
30th April 2013, 05:55
Hello Colin,
Im sorry to say I cant remember you and I should if you were a non-smoker in those days. I find that a photograph helps to stimulate the memory sometimes as it does in that particular one. Did you look at any of the other photos in the Gallery. If so do you remember any of those people?
Regards
Jim

Hi Jim
For me the plot thickens I'm coming up to 74 years of age so it is entirely possible I am having a senior moment. I thought ,in an earlier contact, you said you took that photo of seven men posted in the gallery. If so do what I did and access the photo and press CTRL Print.
This will bring up not just the photo but an extension which is not there unless you try to print the photo. The extension is a record from the 3rd Eng. So are you Jim McShane.

LenT
14th June 2013, 02:02
Hi Guys,

Seem to remember Peter Miller (during the Seamans strike of 66) waxing eloquently on the subject of Runic on the Rocks

I joined SSA in 64 and after a period in the overlanders sailed on Corinthic as
4/E with Old Pappy as Chief and Ted Dann as Frig and Matt Rankin as Leccy Was later 2/E on Suevic with Stan Ledger and N.Star