Exotic Ports with Houlders.

ALAN TYLER
12th January 2010, 12:01
As I sit here in the depths of winter my thoughts turned to all the "Exotic" ports I visited with Houlders. The ones that come to mind were St Croix in the Virgin Islands, Venice (passing by), the Panama canal and going under the Golden Gate bridge. Oh nearly forgot the Tyne!!! No doubt some of you will be able to improve on my short list.

tell
12th January 2010, 23:54
was In Engineero White in the Langton Grange, also up the creek to Quatreros

B.Bass
13th January 2010, 03:24
Was in Coatzacoalcos,Mexico,on the "Kayeson",then Loch Striven on the "Coastal Corpus Christi"Now that's exotic(lol)

tsell
13th January 2010, 08:25
tell

Now that was really an exotic port! I was there in 51 or 52 and will never forget Kitty! Was she there when you were there?

Taff

Nova Scotian
13th January 2010, 12:46
Mine would have to be Miyako in Northern Japan on the Shaftesbury in 1966. Helped alongside by about six of the local fishing boats under the guidance of a tiny wizened old pilot (nobody saw him come aboard) and the questioning eye of Captain Belton! Disharged phosphate using shovels and canvas slings. A far cry from the ports in the south where we were to load a general cargo for the States.

George Simpson
13th January 2010, 13:40
How about Haugesund in Norway on the UJ, it was so good 12 of the guys missed the sailing. The Elec made it back by the skin of his teeth on bike then pilot boat.

ALAN TYLER
13th January 2010, 14:09
How about Haugesund in Norway on the UJ, it was so good 12 of the guys missed the sailing. The Elec made it back by the skin of his teeth on bike then pilot boat.

Hi George, Its a wonder they could afford to go ashore in Haugesund!! Happy New Year Alan.

George Simpson
13th January 2010, 14:16
Alan it was divers so say no more! And a very Happy New Year to you and your family. George

Archie NS
13th January 2010, 15:23
Mine would be Gotthab, Holsteinsborg and Thule in Greenland, Grise Fiord and Pond Inlet in what was then the North West Teritories, Cartwright in Labrador,and Churchill Manitoba. Very exotic places

non descript
13th January 2010, 16:20
Mine would be Gotthab, Holsteinsborg and Thule in Greenland, Grise Fiord and Pond Inlet in what was then the North West Teritories, Cartwright in Labrador,and Churchill Manitoba. Very exotic places

They sound exotic indeed, almost too exotic for Houlders and a wonder that we had the charts... I could add Workington to the list and if pressed Port Vila in what was then the New Hebrides.

ChandlerBird
13th January 2010, 17:04
I was 17 and sailed into Reo de Janeiro, what a view, and what and experiance.

notnila
15th January 2010, 22:48
We got FIVE DAYS in Teneriffe,on the"Beauval"!Mind you the port before was Tripoli,Lebanon, and the port after was Bonny,Nigeria.

Robinj
19th January 2010, 12:39
I don't suppose you can call Narvik exotic, or any that the Ore carriers called at.

marinero
19th January 2010, 12:53
I don't suppose you can call Narvik exotic, or any that the Ore carriers called at.

Robin.
I was on the "Oremina" and we went to Vittoria in Brazil which was quite exotic enough for me. Or Tabangao in the Phillipines on the "Joya McCance"

Now Santos has to be one of the most exotic ports for anyone interested in the finer things in life, such an educational place if indigenous customs are your forte.

Regards (Thumb)

MARINEJOCKY
19th January 2010, 13:40
Arriving in Rio de Janerio on December 28 and then ringing in the New Year at the outer anchorage. There are certain "members' on here who will definately remember how exoctic that experience was on the Cumbria, John & Leo please be discreet. (*))

NINJA
19th January 2010, 18:23
Santos as a regular run on the gas tankers and actually paying off there once.

marinero
19th January 2010, 19:41
Arriving in Rio de Janerio on December 28 and then ringing in the New Year at the outer anchorage. There are certain "members' on here who will definately remember how exoctic that experience was on the Cumbria, John & Leo please be discreet. (*))

MJ.
I am, as you know the essence of discretion but as my memory is not what it was, could you enlighten me and did I enjoy it? (Jester) (Jester)

Regards (Thumb)

marinero
19th January 2010, 19:44
Santos as a regular run on the gas tankers and actually paying off there once.

NInja
Is that the same time that Dai paid off, dressed in Margaret Mitchells dress?

Regards (Thumb)

MARINEJOCKY
19th January 2010, 23:46
Leo, suffice to say that if you were there you would definately have remembered, were you not there after we joined in Skaramanga and ended up in Rio for a few weeks, let me throw out some hints, ME - Hookers - Marriage - blood & ME again.

Exotic & hiliarious all in one and would have been even better if I was not involved. What can I say except I was a first tripper !!!

NINJA
20th January 2010, 08:00
NInja
Is that the same time that Dai paid off, dressed in Margaret Mitchells dress?

Regards (Thumb)

You are quite correct Leo and a good time was had by all.

marinero
20th January 2010, 10:39
Leo, suffice to say that if you were there you would definately have remembered, were you not there after we joined in Skaramanga and ended up in Rio for a few weeks, let me throw out some hints, ME - Hookers - Marriage - blood & ME again.

Exotic & hiliarious all in one and would have been even better if I was not involved. What can I say except I was a first tripper !!!

Of course I remember MJ, but my lips are sealed, and who could ever forget you as a first tripper, you were like a dog with 2 wotsits. John Glover as Captain and I think Tom King as Chief and your mate Big Barney Rafferty(2nd).
I got landed sick in Tenerife on the way back to Europe and had the time of my life in the seamans ward of the local hospital, of which I shall not recount on this family thread.

Regards (Thumb)

marinero
20th January 2010, 11:01
You are quite correct Leo and a good time was had by all.

Morning Ninja.
This site is well named "nostalgia" I think the times I spent on the "Cavendish" were some of the most enlightening I have ever experienced. Do you remember a tall 3rd Mate we had on there whose name I think was Brian Wilson (his Dad was someone at Scotland Yard) He did a mean impression of Donald Sutherland as a Hippie Tank Commander in the movie Kelly's Heroes. Putting it politely "he was as daft as a brush"
Were you there when we had all those false fire alarms, people started ignoring them until Roy Southgate issued a directive that everyone had to turn out, and one middle of the night alarm he himself was missing, and little Alfie Tudor (AB) dragged him out of bed saying " If we are out so are you"

Regards (Thumb)

non descript
20th January 2010, 12:32
Brian Wilson, a nice chap, and as you say, his father was in the Met and was somewhat involved with George Blake (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Blake) (not involved in getting him out, more in wondering why he got out (*)) ), who on Saturday 22nd October 1966, escaped from Wormwood Scrubs prison with the assistance of three men who he met in jail, Sean Bourke, and two anti-nuclear campaigners, Michael Randle, and Pat Pottle.

If my memory serves me well, Brian’s dad was a bit fed up with how easy it was for George to escape… Brian on the other hand was, in those days, married to a girl from Brixton, but he went out to Ecuador on the Houlders-Gazocean LPG project and ended up marrying a local girl.

Klaatu83
20th January 2010, 12:59
"Ports of Call": The Dooley and The Flying Boat at Felixstowe, the Red Lion at Southampton, and various pubs at Barry, Wales and Leith, Scotland. Ports of Call don't get much friendlier than those.

MARINEJOCKY
20th January 2010, 13:48
Marinero,

I think Jackie Scotland was chief with Rafferty as 2/E. Glover was definately old man. I had forgotten Rafferty, was he the one from Sunderland and yes he hated me.

Was it Roy Southgate or the C/E from Hartlepool (John) who got stuck in the lift on the Cavendish just before a black out. I can still hear the noise that the elevator made whenever somebody opened and closed the lift door beside my cabin.

We ended up using the board of trade issued condoms (un-lubricated) and covering up the smoke detector heads all around the engine room and that helped with the false alarms.

Little Alfie, now that is a name from the past, what ever happened to him. If I remember he was a tiny wee fellow from Liverpool who was as brown as a berry. He was going to be arrested in the Suez Canal after the Suez crowd came on board the Cavendish but the rope to secure the gangway had not been tied off on the winch just forward of the accommadation and when the officials came onboard the gangway slipped and some ended up in the water. Hiliarious and something out of a slap stick movie, not so funny for Alfie at the time but nothing a few bottles could not fix.

Do you remember Vernon Dukes, 3/E on the Cumbria, I often wonder what happened to him.

marinero
20th January 2010, 14:42
Brian Wilson, a nice chap, and as you say, his father was in the Met and was somewhat involved with George Blake (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Blake) (not involved in getting him out, more in wondering why he got out (*)) ), who on Saturday 22nd October 1966, escaped from Wormwood Scrubs prison with the assistance of three men who he met in jail, Sean Bourke, and two anti-nuclear campaigners, Michael Randle, and Pat Pottle.

If my memory serves me well, Brian’s dad was a bit fed up with how easy it was for George to escape… Brian on the other hand was, in those days, married to a girl from Brixton, but he went out to Ecuador on the Houlders-Gazocean LPG project and ended up marrying a local girl.

Thanks for that Tonga.
Amazing really about Brian's Dad as I am extremely interested in the shenanigans surrounding the Soviets spies we had in those days, Blunt,McClean etc. I find that a fascinating part of our history, although I wont hold my breath waiting for the release of the papers.
Have you any idea where Brian is these days?

PS Have we transgressed with this thread as it started out as "Exotic Ports with Houlders"

Regards (Thumb)

marinero
20th January 2010, 14:58
Marinero,

I think Jackie Scotland was chief with Rafferty as 2/E. Glover was definately old man. I had forgotten Rafferty, was he the one from Sunderland and yes he hated me.

Was it Roy Southgate or the C/E from Hartlepool (John) who got stuck in the lift on the Cavendish just before a black out. I can still hear the noise that the elevator made whenever somebody opened and closed the lift door beside my cabin.

We ended up using the board of trade issued condoms (un-lubricated) and covering up the smoke detector heads all around the engine room and that helped with the false alarms.

Little Alfie, now that is a name from the past, what ever happened to him. If I remember he was a tiny wee fellow from Liverpool who was as brown as a berry. He was going to be arrested in the Suez Canal after the Suez crowd came on board the Cavendish but the rope to secure the gangway had not been tied off on the winch just forward of the accommadation and when the officials came onboard the gangway slipped and some ended up in the water. Hiliarious and something out of a slap stick movie, not so funny for Alfie at the time but nothing a few bottles could not fix.

Do you remember Vernon Dukes, 3/E on the Cumbria, I often wonder what happened to him.

Hi MJ.

Yes I do remember Vernon although I have no idea where he ended up. Jackie Scotland ended up as Chief on the "Oregis" Offshore, he was back to back with a chief called "Steamkettle"(Cant remember his name, Eric ??).
You are right about Little Alfie, he was a brilliant bloke and if my memory is correct he was one of the survivors off the battleship that got sunk by the Japanese near Singapore (might have been the "Prince Of Wales) Do you remember his oppo Suntory John Houghton, another Scouser. Couldn't wish for better mates for a run ashore.
Now that might have been John Coates(The Hartlepool Hangman) getting stuck in the lift and what a bloke he was, he was as laid back as Roy Southgate.

Regards (Thumb)

non descript
20th January 2010, 15:01
Thanks for that Tonga.
Amazing really about Brian's Dad as I am extremely interested in the shenanigans surrounding the Soviets spies we had in those days, Blunt,McClean etc. I find that a fascinating part of our history, although I wont hold my breath waiting for the release of the papers.
Have you any idea where Brian is these days?

PS Have we transgressed with this thread as it started out as "Exotic Ports with Houlders"

Regards (Thumb)

I've lost touch with him, but I vaguely remember someone said he was still out in Ecuador, so maybe his new wide has him tied down...

Yes, we do seem to have gone 'off-piste' and as a couple of posts are not even Houlders, maybe it needs some sorting... I will look at it later and try not to cause offence to the good folk who have posted off-topic in all innocence.
(Thumb)

MARINEJOCKY
20th January 2010, 15:41
John Coates, great chief & great crib player.

Exotic ports with Houlders, Glasgow terminal one and a quick ferry ride over to Betty's bar on the Northside of the clyde, 50 pence for a quickie or a pound with her teeth out or a brazilian beauty, that was hard to decide so I ended up staying well away from the small ore boats and went with the fiery kipper to such places as BA, Rio, Maracaibo, Portsmouth - Maine, Riga etc etc. I do not think there was one port out there that I did not enjoy especialy with my "two wotsits" (*))

NINJA
20th January 2010, 15:50
Hello Leo,

Yes I remember Brian Wilson, one film that I will forever go hand in hand with the Cavendish was Kelly Heroes, the countless time we watched it, then someone had the bright idea where they had played working on the railroad from a loudspeaker on one of the tanks when they shot up the railway yard on the film we would have music playing full blast from all quarters as we sailed into Santos, think it was March of the Valkyries. Had some good pairings on that ship Roy Southgate, Tom Woolcott, Michael Mitchell and John Coates not forgetting your top man John Ronicle.

Regards

Ninja.

marinero
20th January 2010, 17:35
Hello Leo,

Yes I remember Brian Wilson, one film that I will forever go hand in hand with the Cavendish was Kelly Heroes, the countless time we watched it, then someone had the bright idea where they had played working on the railroad from a loudspeaker on one of the tanks when they shot up the railway yard on the film we would have music playing full blast from all quarters as we sailed into Santos, think it was March of the Valkyries. Had some good pairings on that ship Roy Southgate, Tom Woolcott, Michael Mitchell and John Coates not forgetting your top man John Ronicle.

Regards

Ninja.

My God Ninja, mentioning that music took me back. I remember it well, that was some experience and boy did we get some looks from shoreside. Whoever came up with the idea epitomised the whole culture on the "Cavendish" although speaking to other Gas Tanker Men it seemed to prevail throughout the fleet.
They even mentioned it in the bars(not that I ever frequented them you understand) I was told about it by those who had been in them.
As for J.Ronicle, say no more.

Regards (Thumb)

BOB.WHITTAKER
24th January 2010, 20:25
Try this one,St.Johns in Newfoundland,we were on the Orotava Bridge on the way in ballast to Sept Isle and had to put in for storm damage repairs.We berthed about 13.00 hrs on Christmas Eve 1971 and left about 18.00 on New Years Eve.What a "thrash", discovered friendly natives and "Newfoundland Screech",a bright red concoction that some said was a form of rum. Some of the crew were John Coates on his first trip as Chief Eng. ,Matt Dillon Chief Off. and if my memory is correct the two deck cadets were Jim Gilchrist and Brian WIlson .There were stories about "games" that were played on the chart room table whilst alongside St.Johns,however it is all some 40 years ago and Iwill leave it to others with a better memory to elaborate.

tell
25th January 2010, 13:04
anyone remember the chanticleer bar, not sure if it was in santos or recife, I bagged off there good and proper

Robinj
27th January 2010, 12:40
Robin.
I was on the "Oremina" and we went to Vittoria in Brazil which was quite exotic enough for me. Or Tabangao in the Phillipines on the "Joya McCance"

Now Santos has to be one of the most exotic ports for anyone interested in the finer things in life, such an educational place if indigenous customs are your forte.

Regards (Thumb)

Hi, Remember going to Vittoria anchored in the middle of the river for about a week had to get a boat to go ashore. When we did get berthed it was in the middle of nowhere, but found a great bar in the Jungle?.

Jim Mclaughlin
27th January 2010, 13:13
Exotic port with denholm!
Caracas Venezuela. Local hostilary called the green house.
Basically lived there for a week or so.
Wasnt green when I left.
Jim

BOB.WHITTAKER
18th February 2010, 21:29
George/Alan One of the party left behind in Haugesund when Uncle John sailed was Mike Baker ,the welder, who made a shore to ship call , which was taken by Jerry Puckett with Mike saying we have nowhere to sleep and J.H.P. responding with "there are plenty of beds on here."

BOB.WHITTAKER
18th February 2010, 21:44
VITTORIA Got "locked up" there when on The Orotava about 1970,three of us. The 3eng. , a German bloke called Manfred Mohr,myself and Dave Allen who was 2 Off. (Later to be Captain Allen) It was obviously all a misunderstanding and we just made it back to sail down the river to Tubareo to top off . We were signed in the lock up as " Three Gringos "

ALAN TYLER
19th February 2010, 11:22
VITTORIA Got "locked up" there when on The Orotava about 1970,three of us. The 3eng. , a German bloke called Manfred Mohr,myself and Dave Allen who was 2 Off. (Later to be Captain Allen) It was obviously all a misunderstanding and we just made it back to sail down the river to Tubareo to top off . We were signed in the lock up as " Three Gringos "

A "Misunderstanding" Bob, sounds a likely tale in there somewhere!
Regards Alan.

NINJA
19th February 2010, 14:57
Bobs tale is very true given that I witnessed the event, also did Manfred Mohr's night on board so he could go ashore therefore setting the chain of events in motion leading up to the Three Gringos being thrown in the clink.