SS Spero, Ellerman Wilson Line

michelleaw
13th January 2010, 22:28
Hello

I'm hoping somebody may help me, i'm trying to trace any details on my Great Grandfather, Harry Hastings born in 1884 (abt, i'm currently awaiting his birth certificate for the exact date), he was born in Hull and i'm led to believe he worked on the above and possible may have lost his life there. I know he was alive in 1921 but unfortunately this is all i know.

If anybody has any information regarding the above i would greatly appreciate it.

Michelle

K urgess
13th January 2010, 22:39
Welcome aboard from East Yorkshire, Michelle.
The second Spero was built in 1922 and the previous one was lost in 1916.
Find your way around and get to know the crew.
Have a good voyage.

benjidog
13th January 2010, 22:44
Welcome from Lancashire - I hope you will enjoy the site.

michelleaw
13th January 2010, 23:11
Thank you for your welcome, i was really just looking for info on these 2, not the last one as he definately wasn't on it. I'm not overly sure where to start, it has been suggested there may be a record at Southampton

Michelle

K urgess
13th January 2010, 23:33
Have you checked the Yorkshire BMD site, Michelle?
There's a Harry Hastings died at East Sculcoates in 1936 aged 51.
http://www.yorkshirebmd.org.uk/

michelleaw
13th January 2010, 23:44
Yes i have seen this record but i haven't yet ordered the cert, i'm going to wait for his birth certificate first to make sure the dates are right.

It's just unfortunate my grandma is no longer with us or any of her siblings as i can't ask for any information off them, all i have is off my Aunt who said about the SS Spero, so i really need to check the crew list i think?

Michelle

K urgess
13th January 2010, 23:48
There are research pointers in the SN Directory that will tell you how to access the crew lists and possibly his Seaman's record at Kew.
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/guides/Category:Information_Sources

billyboy
14th January 2010, 03:46
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to offer

R58484956
14th January 2010, 08:44
Greetings Michelle and welcome to SN. Bon Voyage

Gulpers
14th January 2010, 10:29
Michelle,

A warm welcome to the site from the Isle of Anglesey, I guarantee you will thoroughly enjoy the SN experience!
I am also sure that someone will be able to help with your query in the meantime have a good look around. (Thumb)