James Watt Memorial College, Greenock

NZSCOTTY
14th January 2010, 21:44
Whilst I am aware of members on Ship Nostalgia for the year I went to pre-sea training at James Watt Memorial College in Greenock it would be good to find any others who did pre-sea training there or studied for certificates there.

jimthehat
14th January 2010, 22:28
i studied for second mates at the james watt college somewhere circa 1957,that is the old school ,not that big brash multi floored building and actually stayed at the house where I was born and still go back up to Greenock to see relatives.

jim

NZSCOTTY
14th January 2010, 23:06
Yes it was the old James Watt I was talking about. I was there for pre-sea training 62/63 and back for 2nd Mates in 67 before being moved to Glasgow for mates.

John Cassels
15th January 2010, 09:08
Yes it was the old James Watt I was talking about. I was there for pre-sea training 62/63 and back for 2nd Mates in 67 before being moved to Glasgow for mates.

Jeez , are you THAT old ??.

NZSCOTTY
16th January 2010, 06:16
Jeez , are you THAT old ??.

I am sure I remember a little fresh faced Gourock boy there. Was that you??

John Cassels
16th January 2010, 09:42
I am sure I remember a little fresh faced Gourock boy there. Was that you??

Possibly someone who looked very like me.

John Cassels
16th January 2010, 09:45
You're not getting much response here John. Strange as there must be
enough out there who went through the Watt school.

Am trying to remember who took the 2nd.mates class. It wasn't Pearson or
Davidson. Can remember what he looked like but the name ................?.

jimthehat
16th January 2010, 17:08
When i was there in the late 50s the lecturer for second mates also worked as a football commentator .cant remember his name

jim

gwzm
16th January 2010, 17:11
I was at the James Watt Memorial College September '61 - February '63 for 2nd/1st Class PMGs and MoT Radar Maintenance Certificates then joined Brocklebank.

gwzm

John Cassels
16th January 2010, 18:58
When i was there in the late 50s the lecturer for second mates also worked as a football commentator .cant remember his name

jim

Yes Jim , that was George Davidson , as mentioned.

Used to give us some compass work . If it was on a monday morning you
first got a complete re-run of saturdays Ibrox natch.

Surveillancepilot
16th January 2010, 20:00
I did my PMG there between 1962 and early 1964 before joining the RFA. the standard of lectures excellent. I remember Matt Rogers ? think I have the spelling right and 'Pop' can't remember his second name, may have been MacDonald and Mr Corcorran ' use a meter ' I look back on those days fondly and with gratitude

gwzm
17th January 2010, 15:04
Yup, Matt Rogers (Theory), Pop MacDonald (Handbook), Robert (Bobby) Corcoran (Practical), Tony McElroy (Theory), Henry Bolton (Electical), Ron Carney (Morse). There was also one "new boy) whose name is now totally lost in the sands of time. I've also forgotten the name of the Principal of the Radio Department who taught the MOT Radar courses.

gwzm

Surveillancepilot
17th January 2010, 21:36
Thanks for filling in the blanks, great days swatting Q codes on the train commute from Glasgow with guys such as Andy MacKay, Rob Johnston, wish I could remember more. Lunch time was usually spent in Rossini's cafe feeding the juke box to listen to Susan Maughan ?? and Sandi Shaw etc There was a fair bit of study I had to work at it but great help on hand . Thanks for starting the thread it has brought back memories..Cheers

Gulpers
17th January 2010, 22:22
For those of you who can't get back to Greenock easily, this link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Watt_College) will let you compare the old and new Watt Colleges.
I know which building I prefer! (EEK)

John Cassels
18th January 2010, 08:49
Thanks for the link Ray.

saw the old school when I was over back in October last year.
Spent the afternoon in the pub opposite , in William street.

Gulpers
18th January 2010, 10:03
Being slightly younger than you John, I was generally home from school before you got back from the Watt College in the afternoons. I vividly remember that I used to see you walking proudly past our house wearing your uniform and overcoat! It was quite a procession because, as you will recall, there were a number of Clyde Pilots who also lived along the road from us and they always wore full uniform too! (Thumb)

I never attended the James Watt, all my college time was in Glasgow College of Nautical Studies and some of the lecturers previously mentioned in this thread transferred to GCNS when the Watt closed. By coincidence though, the site of the "new" Watt College, shown in the previous link, is where I started my schooling at the "old" Greenock Academy. That was a year or two ago - eh! (Jester)

NZSCOTTY
19th January 2010, 01:46
Being slightly younger than you John, I was generally home from school before you got back from the Watt College in the afternoons. I vividly remember that I used to see you walking proudly past our house wearing your uniform and overcoat! It was quite a procession because, as you will recall, there were a number of Clyde Pilots who also lived along the road from us and they always wore full uniform too! (Thumb)

I never attended the James Watt, all my college time was in Glasgow College of Nautical Studies and some of the lecturers previously mentioned in this thread transferred to GCNS when the Watt closed. By coincidence though, the site of the "new" Watt College, shown in the previous link, is where I started my schooling at the "old" Greenock Academy. That was a year or two ago - eh! (Jester)

Funny that I also went to Greenock Academy before the Watt College. John Must have been proud of his battle dress uniform!! I hated the bloody thing. Forgot that prospective R/O's went to Watt School as well. New there was something odd about the place which must have got to George Davidson. As was said before he used to give us a re run of the Rangers match before getting on to lessons.

NZSCOTTY
19th January 2010, 07:47
Wonder why this thread was shifted to here? Didn't know us fellows at Watt College were so important!

John Cassels
19th January 2010, 09:38
Sure it was me Ray ?. Don't remember being "so " proud.

When up for 2nd.Mates used to drive along Broomberry Drive on my
Honda 50 ( thing was so knackered that I could'nt get up John Street) and
after a quick call in at the Vic has to go back along Shore st. to the
roundabout and then along BD.

This was the good old days in the "Vic " - no women allowed , shorts poured into the measure and allowed to overflow and you could still have a smoke
without going outside. Paid a number of recreational visits to the Vic back
in October ( only for sentimantal reasons I may add ).

JimC
19th January 2010, 12:25
Hello all you young lads!

I went there in January,1952. Charlie Adams (Ginger hair, red face and glasses) took the Apprentices and Mates. George Davidson (Big, lumpy, smelled of chalk and talked at a rate exceeding 40 knots (wrote maths on the board at thr same speed) taught mates and Masters. remember his Ibrox tantrums! Captain Pearson ('wee pearie') Started teaching Apprentices that year (I think).
I went back there in 1956 for my second Mates but went to the Glasgow Tch for Mate and Master. The Nav. school was in John Street then (I was at the 'Tech' when it got it's charter as Strathclyde University).
funnyly enough - I rememebr the James Watt lecturers much better than the later ones.

charles henry
19th January 2010, 18:23
Radar ticket March 1953

de chas

NZSCOTTY
20th January 2010, 00:34
Hey cass what about that big Vauxhall car you had when going for Mates. It went better than your scooter.

Does not look as if many of the Watt boys are in Ships Nostalgia looking at the reply's!

John Cassels
20th January 2010, 08:48
Hey cass what about that big Vauxhall car you had when going for Mates. It went better than your scooter.

Does not look as if many of the Watt boys are in Ships Nostalgia looking at the reply's!

You mean the "chocolate bomb" , the Vauxhaul cresta . Now that was a
wagon. Mates was one long orgy of fun. Amazing I got the thing.
Remember the Playtex weekends ?.

lysergius
18th July 2010, 09:19
I was at the WMC from 1964 - 1967 for PMGs. Tried it every way but never managed to get a handle on the morse. (Make a fist of it?). I remember lunching in the seaman's institute across the road... And the rain... Lost contact with all but one of my classmates.

gclarkie1
9th December 2010, 12:15

jim

Davidson

gclarkie1
9th December 2010, 12:17
You're not getting much response here John. Strange as there must be
enough out there who went through the Watt school.

Am trying to remember who took the 2nd.mates class. It wasn't Pearson or
Davidson. Can remember what he looked like but the name ................?.

GEORGE DAVIDSON

John Cassels
9th December 2010, 18:26
No , George Davidson took Mates , not 2nd.Mates.

Somebody else. Can see the face but the name is gone.

jimthehat
9th December 2010, 22:55
No , George Davidson took Mates , not 2nd.Mates.

Somebody else. Can see the face but the name is gone.
i know that 57 was a long time ago ,but i was up for second mates and george davidson definitely took us for one of the subjects cos i used to look forward to his little football chats.

jim

Gulpers
9th December 2010, 23:54
Did Capt Whiteford, from Greenock, teach Navigation at JWMC before moving to GCNS? (?HUH)

John Cassels
10th December 2010, 08:32
i know that 57 was a long time ago ,but i was up for second mates and george davidson definitely took us for one of the subjects cos i used to look forward to his little football chats.

jim

George D did take the 2nd.mate class for compass work but that was
all.
And Ray , don't remember a Capt Whiteford - not the guy I'm
thinking of.

Gulpers
10th December 2010, 10:05
And Ray , don't remember a Capt Whiteford - not the guy I'm
thinking of.

Ho Hum John, I'll put my thinking cap on again! (Sad)

RHL
11th August 2011, 13:41
Looking at the date of the last entry, this thread might have gone cold, but as I was at James Watt 1964 thru 1965 with the following, Robert Madden, Robert Goodwin, Neil White, Malcolm MacKinnen, David Boyd, Ian Miller, David Wright, Dougie Pierce, Hamish MacGowan, Sandy Reid, Colin Dorran, Duncan MacKinnen, Gorden Patterson, Robin Lewis and Fraser Sprought, thought I would post to see if any of the above is still around. Captain Pearson was our leader who prepared us for life at sea and a grand job he did. Cheers.

jimthehat
11th August 2011, 14:09
Looking at the date of the last entry, this thread might have gone cold, but as I was at James Watt 1964 thru 1965 with the following, Robert Madden, Robert Goodwin, Neil White, Malcolm MacKinnen, David Boyd, Ian Miller, David Wright, Dougie Pierce, Hamish MacGowan, Sandy Reid, Colin Dorran, Duncan MacKinnen, Gorden Patterson, Robin Lewis and Fraser Sprought, thought I would post to see if any of the above is still around. Captain Pearson was our leader who prepared us for life at sea and a grand job he did. Cheers.

How many posting here were actually born in greenock?I was born in holmscroft street and went to east shaw street school before moving to Dunoon.

jim

RHL
11th August 2011, 16:44
Jim,

Robert M was from Port Glasgow, Bob Goodwin = Gourock as was Hamish, David Wright = Greenock, Neil, Malcolm, Duncan, Colin, Gordon & myself travelled daily from Dunoon, Ian from Glasgow, Dougie & Sandy somewhere in darkest Ayrshire, David Boyd from Largs, Fraser from Lochwinnoch if my grey cells still function!

jimthehat
11th August 2011, 17:04
Jim,

Robert M was from Port Glasgow, Bob Goodwin = Gourock as was Hamish, David Wright = Greenock, Neil, Malcolm, Duncan, Colin, Gordon & myself travelled daily from Dunoon, Ian from Glasgow, Dougie & Sandy somewhere in darkest Ayrshire, David Boyd from Largs, Fraser from Lochwinnoch if my grey cells still function!
well it was wartime when I was in Dunoon,lived in Alfred street and went to ST.Muns and Kirn public school

jim

John Cassels
11th August 2011, 18:36
For the life of me still can't remember the name of the guy who took us for
2nd.mates 1968. Can see his face clear as a bell but the name ????????????.

RHL
12th August 2011, 11:14
Jim,
I lived in Kirn - living in Glasgow now so I know the street and schools you mentioned very well, though the place you lived in will probably be the same, I think St Muns has gone and Kirn public is now a primary school.

Basil
12th August 2011, 11:34
Studied engineering subjects there '57 - '59 on day release from TEE.

jimthehat
12th August 2011, 11:53
Jim,
I lived in Kirn - living in Glasgow now so I know the street and schools you mentioned very well, though the place you lived in will probably be the same, I think St Muns has gone and Kirn public is now a primary school.

Thanks for the update,we liveed cottage called gartnamore in Alfred street and from my bedroom window I could jump over a small wall and I was in the playground.

jim

madrob1948
1st February 2012, 08:57
Well, I am still alive and kicking, at my own pace ??!!
RM

Bobmac
11th June 2013, 03:21

jim

Sorry Jim you've misremembered. The Football Commentator was George Davidson who took Masters & Mates, Richard "Charlie" Adams was the 2nd mate lecturer and J.A.P. Pearson the pre sea. I was at pre sea in 1952 then at the Watt for 2nd Mate 1st Mate & Masters. A great little college with lecturers who got us through "nae bother"

John Cassels
11th June 2013, 07:08
That's the name I've been trying to remember all this time ; Adams.
Thanks Bob.

Tony Selman
11th June 2013, 08:31
Brocklebank's sent all their R/O's there for their radar tickets in the 50's and 60's I think. I went there in April 1965 for mine along with the late Frank Fallon and Ian Hamilton. It is still a thing of wonderment to me that I passed with all the drinking and general debauchery that went on. Our watering hole of choice was called the Gordon Bar, can't remember the street it was in, as it was owned by the parents of two other Brock's R/O's. Must have spent a bob or two in there over 3 months and met a few ladies of the parish. (Pint) Ten weeks of doing nothing and two weeks of furious work and the midnight oil got me through it. Those were the days. [=P]

williamg
9th October 2013, 22:38
I was at the James watt 1956/1957 for PMG. I wasn't the brightest light on the mast but lady luck fell my way - I passed eventually and in "Jig time" I was with Siemens and then a Company R/O with Clan Line who had just started recruiting their own RO's and were paying oodles of money. The radar ticket and the Gordon bar do not go well together!.
I had a great time there Biff McLaughlan, Jack Dowson, Ian Hay,plus many other pals and of course the ladies of the Secretarial School in Cathcart St.