Owners Cabin.

John Dryden
15th January 2010, 03:52
I remember the owners cabin the first time I walked past it on my way up to the bridge and thought,where is he then?Of course as the weeks went by I realised the owners were not on board.I also remember the first time I actually went in it,sneaking in behind a guy who was cleaning the cabin.I was amazed by such opulence and space,armchairs and no end of luxury.
Things became clearer during the trip and passengers arrived on board but the question is did any of you have the owners actually in the cabin on a trip?

Winebuff
15th January 2010, 09:11
The suite was rarely used but seemed to require a lot of cleaning, I think the Cabin Steward used to hide away from everyone for an hour or so every morning.
Occasionally a visiting Super, unfit to return home after a night on board would use it, otherwise the Master's wife would make use of the extra space.

NoMoss
15th January 2010, 09:44
The only people who ever used owner's cabins I saw were pilots and shore office staff. We had a super-cargo on one ship put on board by the charterers. He was trying to stop the crew broaching the cargo of booze - without success, I am afraid.
Oh, I did use it myself on occasion when travelling as a 'passenger' on cross channel ferries.

McMorine
15th January 2010, 15:11
When we were on the PNG/South Pacific run, the owners cabin and hospital were used for carrying pasengers.
Regards Mac.

Alistair Macnab
16th January 2010, 04:54
Spare berths were used for passengers from the USA out to Australia and from the Islands back to the UK before Bank Line went into formal passenger carrying on the "Corabank" class.
Spare berths were:
Owner's Suite (2 berths)
Pilot's Cabin (1 berth)
Hospital (2 berths)
Customs Cabin (2 berths)
Total: 7 passengers.

spongebob
16th January 2010, 07:51
The best owner cabin that I have ever been into was aboard the Niarkos tanker "World Integrity".
She was berthed at Balboa awaiting canal transit and we were invited on board by the second mate.
This magnate's ships were all built with luxurious quarters for the owner should he need to put his head down anywhere a ship might be and in this case the almost new vessel had been finished with provision of an officers smoke room overlooked. Greek architecture I guess.
The Master had approached the owner and obtained permission to use the private drawing room as a smoke room providing they slung protective dust covers over the brocade upholstery etc.
It was luxury to the Nth degree with inlaid timber floors and original water colours on the wall etc.
You could not say deck or bulkhead in a room like that.

Bob

Gareth Jones
16th January 2010, 14:59
The best owner cabin that I have ever been into was aboard the Niarkos tanker "World Integrity".
She was berthed at Balboa awaiting canal transit and we were invited on board by the second mate.
This magnate's ships were all built with luxurious quarters for the owner should he need to put his head down anywhere a ship might be and in this case the almost new vessel had been finished with provision of an officers smoke room overlooked. Greek architecture I guess.
The Master had approached the owner and obtained permission to use the private drawing room as a smoke room providing they slung protective dust covers over the brocade upholstery etc.
It was luxury to the Nth degree with inlaid timber floors and original water colours on the wall etc.
You could not say deck or bulkhead in a room like that.

Bob

I think that must have been the practice in that company. i sailed on two Niarchos Tankers (World Enterprise and Spyros) indeed, they both had lavish owners cabins. On the W.enterprise the mate and I used to use it for watching Walport films in comfort !.