Freebird

Coastie
16th October 2005, 14:56
My first job as a Coastguard was a Belgian fishing vessel called the Freebird which had caught fire 12 miles south of the Calf of Mann. We got the crew off safely, the fire eventually burned itself out and she was towed to Liverpool for insurance inspection. I never heard any more about her and was just wondering if anybody knew what became of her, I presume a total loss, but would like to find out.

Best wishes.

Coastie

ruud
16th October 2005, 17:08
Ahoy Coastie,

Here the report of that accident:

http://www.portstmarylifeboat.org.im/calls/alb/ab130901.htm

This was the latest news, I heard about her, so maybe they can tell you more about her, but that's a while ago.
FREE BIRD

The fire damaged Belgian trawler FREEBIRD is currently berthed at Canada #1 Branch Dock, Liverpool

Coastie
16th October 2005, 17:28
Thanks Ruud.

As this incident happened about 4 years ago, I doubt whether she is still in Liverpool, however, I don't know how long insurance surveyors take! (Thumb)

Gulpers
16th October 2005, 17:56
Coastie,

Picture of Freebird from rescue helicopter in Gallery/Shipping Accidents.

Coastie
16th October 2005, 18:05
Thanks Gulpers.

Gulpers
16th October 2005, 18:12
Coastie,

Have a look at this link http://www.angelfire.com/ab7/issnewsarch/news/2002/092002/092002.htm

In the "Fishing Vessels In The News" section, there is a photograph of the Freebird being towed from Liverpool on 27 September 2002.

Where to - that's the question? (Thumb)

Coastie
16th October 2005, 18:24
Thanks Gulpers, but for some reason it's just showing up a lot of gobbledegook and computer speak :-( however, will persevere. Maybe if I shut the pc down and refresh it!

Best wishes.

Coastie (Ouch)

Coastie
16th October 2005, 18:41
Nope!

Have shut down and rebooted but still computer speak!

Will try another time, thanks anyway/ (Cloud)

Gulpers
16th October 2005, 18:46
Coastie,

I’ve tried two PCs and both open the link successfully. Get a large hammer and try some serious ‘percussive maintenance’ on your machine!

Alternatively, try some (Pint) maintenance on yourself!

Coastie
16th October 2005, 18:49
Am tempted to give it the "Swansea soak test"! (*))

Maybe a little of the amber nectar too, but that's NOT for the confuser!

Coastie
23rd October 2005, 09:55
Have at last been able to open that page!!

Amazing, you leave it a few days and it gets well all by itself!! (Applause)