David Campbell R.O.

Fa's that?
16th January 2010, 14:44
Does anyone remember my brother, David Campbell who sailed with Crusader line ( late 60's early 70's ) as an R.O. He was on the SARACEN and the CRUSADER and loved it. On one home leave two of his ship mates met up with him at home, that was some week. If I remember right one was the ships lecky, ALEC from Glasgow and the other was 'Neddy' the 4th Eng. from New Zealand. It would be great for him to hear from anybody who knew him.

Malcolm Campbell

Spikesdad
29th January 2010, 16:24
Geoff, or Jeff, Brown (Neddy) lived in Panmure, Auckland, and I last saw Alex MacGlocklan (The spelling's bound to be wrong) in Wellington a few years back--he was working for the Harbour Board

Fa's that?
30th January 2010, 09:46
Thanks Spikesdad, I will pass that on to my brother.

Malcolm Campbell

Malcolm S
6th February 2010, 07:38
Does anyone remember my brother, David Campbell who sailed with Crusader line ( late 60's early 70's ) as an R.O. He was on the SARACEN and the CRUSADER and loved it. On one home leave two of his ship mates met up with him at home, that was some week. If I remember right one was the ships lecky, ALEC from Glasgow and the other was 'Neddy' the 4th Eng. from New Zealand. It would be great for him to hear from anybody who knew him.

Malcolm Campbell

I joined the Saracen 6th May 1970 in Oslo as 3rd Mate, and left her as the Langstone in Melbourne 16th March 1971. Worked my passage home via the Britannic and the Northern Star.
For the life of me can't honestly remember who the Sparky was, but if it was David say hi - thanks
Malcolm

Fa's that?
6th February 2010, 17:43
Hi Malcolm,

Thankyou for your response about my brother. I have spoken to David today and he tells me that he paid off in Rotterdam on 29th April 1970 and would have missed you. A few of the names he remembers are ; Bob Sand 2nd mate,-- Steve Border 3rd mate, --ch/eng Norman ????? ,--3rd eng Hoss ????? ,--fridge eng. Newton ????? , --Charlie Mc Intosh, --cadets Geoff Noonan, Tony ?????

You may have relieved Steve Border. Hope this sparks some old memories.
David has bought a new laptop so he should be active on the the web soon.

Thanks again

Malcolm Campbell

Malcolm S
12th February 2010, 05:46
Hello again Malcolm,
Bob Sands I knew, but not from the Saracen. I was with Captains Mike Clark and John Street. Chief Mate O'Driscol and Adrian Cope. 2nd Mate Don Williams - an Aussie from Brisbane. I forget who the Chief Engineer was but I do recall he hated Mates of any description.
I joined with a few new engineers including a new Freezer Engineer.
Malcolm

Fa's that?
12th February 2010, 11:42
Hi Malcolm

Thanks again for the response. I will pass on the details to Dave. He has just bought another laptop and is still getting to grips with it. I also sailed with a ch/eng. who did not like mates -- or us his engineers!! He was a right old moan. Take care.

Malcolm Campbell

Brian Brown
11th June 2013, 11:32
Hi Malcolm,

Thankyou for your response about my brother. I have spoken to David today and he tells me that he paid off in Rotterdam on 29th April 1970 and would have missed you. A few of the names he remembers are ; Bob Sand 2nd mate,-- Steve Border 3rd mate, --ch/eng Norman ????? ,--3rd eng Hoss ????? ,--fridge eng. Newton ????? , --Charlie Mc Intosh, --cadets Geoff Noonan, Tony ?????

You may have relieved Steve Border. Hope this sparks some old memories.
David has bought a new laptop so he should be active on the the web soon.

Thanks again

Malcolm Campbell

Chief Eng was Norman Bent, 3rd Eng Graham (Hoss) Thompson who married a very pleasant young lady from New Plymouth, who, coincidentally was related to Newton Inch the Fridge Eng.
I also recall the Mate *****? O'Driscoll and of course Bob Sands
Sailing with most of them over a two year period or so on the mighty Saracen
Regards
Brian (Joe) Brown