carol tarr

carol tarr
20th January 2010, 10:51
Hello. I've joined to try and find out about my grandfather. Captain Andrew Harvey. 1875-1963. He was born in Ireland, went to sea, first ship was the Silver Stream. He always described himself as one of the last Cape Horners. Other ships he eventually was Captain of were Allerton, Clearton and Innerton. He settled in Tyneside for all his working life, I have his Master Mariners Certificate. His ship Clearton was the first foreign ship to enter the harbour of Shiogama in Japan, in 1934. Any info gratefully received

non descript
20th January 2010, 10:59
Carol, a warm welcome to you on your first posting - let's hope someone cann assist with news and comment on Captain Andrew Harvey and the Allerton, Clearton and Innerton. In the meantime, thank you for joining the community, do enjoy the site and all it has to offer, and we very much look forward to your postings. (Thumb)

K urgess
20th January 2010, 11:43
Welcome aboard from East Yorkshire, Carol.
I'm sure someone aboard will be able to help.
Meanwhile find your way around and get to know the crew.
Have a good voyage.

Michael Taylor
20th January 2010, 11:55
Carol....Good luck with yr. request. My God Mother's husband was also one of the last Cape Horners and I remember listening to him as a youth talking about his voyages and meetings they used to have amongst themselves (I think in London). His name was John Lyth (maybe with an ' e' on the end....its been a long time since he died).
I look forward to reading yr results and then maybe I can follow up about him.

Gulpers
20th January 2010, 13:45
Carol,

A warm welcome to the site from the Isle of Anglesey, I guarantee you will thoroughly enjoy the SN experience!
I am also sure that someone will be able to help with your query in the meantime have a good look around. (Thumb)

R58484956
20th January 2010, 14:53
Greetings Carol and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

benjidog
20th January 2010, 16:48
Welcome from Lancashire - I hope you will enjoy the site.

billyboy
20th January 2010, 22:00
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to offer

bert thompson
21st January 2010, 09:41
Carol welcome to this great site
Best wishes
Bert.

bert thompson
21st January 2010, 21:40
Carol welcome Do enjoy all that this wonderful site offers
Best wishes
Bert.

GWB
21st January 2010, 23:38
Welcome aboard Carol from Brisbane in Oz. good luck with your quest and enjoy the trip.

Denise Bonner
31st January 2010, 20:40
Hello. I've joined to try and find out about my grandfather. Captain Andrew Harvey. 1875-1963. He was born in Ireland, went to sea, first ship was the Silver Stream. He always described himself as one of the last Cape Horners. Other ships he eventually was Captain of were Allerton, Clearton and Innerton. He settled in Tyneside for all his working life, I have his Master Mariners Certificate. His ship Clearton was the first foreign ship to enter the harbour of Shiogama in Japan, in 1934. Any info gratefully received

The last Cape Horn cargo ships were owned by Ericcson of Aaland in Finland. I think they stopped trading under sail in 1954, and probqbly have an archive of seamen - they employed many European nationalities. Good luck with the search.

GALTRA
31st January 2010, 22:16
Hi Carol, check out this thread it has some info that might be of interest = http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=26794&highlight=silverstream All the best, Charley