Hi interest in coasters

Michael one
20th January 2010, 13:58
Hi
I'm interested in coasters 1900-1968 and would like to join the 'threads'.

I am researching a book on the history of the British Channel Island Shipping Company Limited (known as BCI or BCIS) and was part of Coast Lines Company Limited. My father was a master on their ships.

Ships or staff that i'm looking for, from or associated with:
Mountstewart, Olivian Coast, Southern Coast, Alderney Coast.

Also Sark Coast (Antrim Coast 1936), Guernsey Coast 2 (Welsh Coast 1938)
Jersey Coast 2(Moray Coast 1940), and Coast Lines Norfolk Coast 1938, Devon Coast 1935, and Dorset Coast 1936.

Devon Coast was 'lost' at Bari Dec 1943.
Ive not seeen any photos for Dorset Coast (Devon Coast has images at Mersey Maritime Museum and National maritime Museum)

BCIS was also known as the London and Channel Islands Steamship Company from 1899 to 1937 (ok 1936, is the date Coast Lines took over majority shareholder), and before that as Cheeswright and Ford....

Whatever, I'm after information and will acknowledge any information used.

cheers

Michael

K urgess
20th January 2010, 14:02
Welcome aboard from East Yorkshire, Michael.
Find your way around and get to know the crew.
Have a good voyage.

Gulpers
20th January 2010, 14:43
Michael,

A warm welcome to the site from the Isle of Anglesey, I guarantee you will thoroughly enjoy the SN experience!
I am also sure that someone will be able to help with your query in the meantime have a good look around. (Thumb)

R58484956
20th January 2010, 15:52
Greetings Michael and welcome to SN. Good luck with your search. Bon voyage

benjidog
20th January 2010, 17:48
Welcome from Lancashire - I hope you will enjoy the site.

billyboy
20th January 2010, 23:01
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to offer

tell
21st January 2010, 02:26
I was a ordinary seaman on the Mountstewart doing the cattle run from Belfast to Birkenhead,and loading general cargo at the west trafalger dock in Liverpool, we also used to run up to the Pomona dock In Manchester, that was in 1947 , I cant remember any of the crew names though. I was also in the Greypoint of the same company running to Cork. the company was called Belfast Mersey and Manchester s/s company, owner JJ Mack of Belfast Terry

bert thompson
21st January 2010, 10:30
Michael welcome to this great site and sure you will get great help with your query
Best wishes
Bert.

tell
22nd January 2010, 03:35
I was a ordinary seaman on the Mountstewart doing the cattle run from Belfast to Birkenhead,and loading general cargo at the west trafalger dock in Liverpool, we also used to run up to the Pomona dock In Manchester, that was in 1947 , I cant remember any of the crew names though. I was also in the Greypoint of the same company running to Cork. the company was called Belfast Mersey and Manchester s/s company, owner JJ Mack of Belfast Terry

Further to this I remember the Reynolds brothers, abs on the mountstewart also the craneman called Locky?

Michael one
26th January 2010, 18:08
Hi Alll,

Thank you for the Welcome.

Hi Tony, I think the Mountstewart your talking of was an earlier one. But thank you for adding your comments, Pomona Dock...go there now and wonder...same with Liverpool.
I'm glad Time team of channel 4 mentioned Liverpool's original dock (uk's first). Till then London and other ports had docks for ship-fitting or building - my has time changed.

cheers

Michael