Hello

dcross
21st January 2010, 14:31
Hi all and i look forward to having loads of fun on here.
I am from fleetwood in the UK and now live in the USA and i am landlocked!!
no salt air to clear my head in a morning!!!

My reason for joining this site is pretty simple.......I am on a mission to build a scale model of 'Viking 66' the ferry boat that ran between Fleetwood and Knott End on sea in the late 60's to the early 90's ME THINKS!

So, that is why i am here and look forward to some interesting topics and memory stimulating discussions.
I was very fortunate to live in Fleetwood and Knott end for over 40 years, watching the steam packet boats, trawlers and the birth of the Pandoro in fleetwood in that time......seeing the brand new bison and buffalo arrive.

Viking 66 though has a special place for me........the butt of so many local Jokes yet i loved it, it was my adventure everyday for the best part of 8 years...first travelling to school and then travelling to work on her.
Every trip was fun especially if a little rough......breakdowns, groundings etc.....it was never bad it seems, just another memory for long stories of my daily sea adventures (ok over the top i know)
Anyway.look forward to getting to know everyone

R58484956
21st January 2010, 15:01
Greetings dcross and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

Gulpers
21st January 2010, 16:24
dcross,

A warm welcome aboard from the Isle of Anglesey, I guarantee you will thoroughly enjoy the SN experience!
Since you share common interests with many of our members you will undoubtedly be exchanging messages before long. (Thumb)

K urgess
21st January 2010, 16:55
Welcome aboard from northern England.
Find your way around and get to know the crew.
Have a good voyage.

bert thompson
21st January 2010, 17:32
dcross welcome. Sure you will enjoy this great site
Best wishes
Bert.

dcross
21st January 2010, 18:12
My Name is Derek by the way....thank you so much for the nice welcome

Anglesey eh Ray?
I was recued by the Moelfre Lifeboat at school camp in the early seventies, we were so popular with the lifeboat crew i recall, 5 13 yearolds in a rowing boat....not sure if they wanted to rescue us or throw us overboard!!

Gulpers
21st January 2010, 18:31
Derek,

As you can see from my SN Profile (http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/member.php?u=2613), I have frequent contact with the RNLI at Moelfre.
Don't worry, you are not the only group of schoolboys to be rescued - they are still launching to similar scenarios in the 21st Century! (==D)

benjidog
21st January 2010, 20:42
Welcome from Lancashire - I hope you will enjoy the site.

GWB
21st January 2010, 23:42
Welcome aboard from Brisbane in Oz. enjoy the trip.

billyboy
22nd January 2010, 00:24
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to offer

dcross
22nd January 2010, 15:05
thanks again to all of you for the welcome.

DMA
22nd January 2010, 16:01
Welcome Derek

Some nostalgia here for you if its the same ferry!!
Crossed on the ferry lots of times as a youngster,a great adventure back then.
Oklee,Minnesota ? if so a far cry from Fleetwood & The Victoria on Dock St.

http://www.francisfrith.com/fleetwood/photos/the-ferry-c1955_f33026/

Cheers Dave A

dcross
25th January 2010, 18:14
Nice photo
but what you have there is the Wyresdale alongside and the Lunevale on her way in.
Wyresdale not long after this photo (1957) had a boiler explosion killing 3 and the lunevale was on her own till the arrival of Viking 66

thanks for that.
Derek

Welcome Derek

Some nostalgia here for you if its the same ferry!!
Crossed on the ferry lots of times as a youngster,a great adventure back then.
Oklee,Minnesota ? if so a far cry from Fleetwood & The Victoria on Dock St.

http://www.francisfrith.com/fleetwood/photos/the-ferry-c1955_f33026/

Cheers Dave A