Bank Line Participation in SN.

Alistair Macnab
21st January 2010, 21:59
Today is the first time I have seen 10 separate entries in the Bank Line section. Yesterday there were 6!
Does this mean that a record number of ex-Bankies are now members of Ships Nostalgia. I use the word 'Bankies' rather than 'Weirdoes' advisedly!
Are you all members of the Bank Line Association? I'm almost afraid to ask, but is this site and its activities more popular than the Association and is, in fact, the prefered 'Bank Line association (with a small 'a')?

Cisco
21st January 2010, 22:43
When you look at the number of Bank Line posts compared with all other companies combined I reckon this place should be renamed "Bank Line Nostalgia'.
Was it the long voyages and the fact that your work was your life while people on shorter regular runs with frequent leave were more inclined to look on sailorising as just a job?

Johnnietwocoats
21st January 2010, 22:50
Today is the first time I have seen 10 separate entries in the Bank Line section. Yesterday there were 6!
Does this mean that a record number of ex-Bankies are now members of Ships Nostalgia. I use the word 'Bankies' rather than 'Weirdoes' advisedly!
Are you all members of the Bank Line Association? I'm almost afraid to ask, but is this site and its activities more popular than the Association and is, in fact, the prefered 'Bank Line association (with a small 'a')?

Very Good Post Aliatair...

I made inquires regarding the official Bank Line Association...Wasn't impressed with their style....

I live too far a way to attend and gatherings and don't know that they have a regular web site...

This is more fun....we can express ourselves openly and talk about the good old days...

Seems we all done the same things and cleaned the same tanks and bilges....

Love it on here....TC(Smoke)

K urgess
21st January 2010, 22:55
I once sent an email to the Bank Line Association enquiring about membership. Never got a reply.
Being a mere mad Marconi interloper I wasn't expecting to be admitted anyway.
There definitely seems to be a lot of Bankline participation of late.
Keep it up. (Thumb)

Pat bourke
21st January 2010, 23:23
I have to agree with Kris, Marconi Sahib. As another Marconi interloper this is the place to get together. Bankline certainly shaped many lives throughout their history. The trips, the ships, the crews and don't forget the food all have lasting and wonderful memories.
Keep it going guys.(Thumb) (Pint)
Cheers Pat

kwg
22nd January 2010, 08:44
I looked at the BL Association, they took months to reply and did so by asking for a membership fee of 20pa. They have sent a couple of their newsletters....not impressed, glad I hung onto my 20.

Alan Rawlinson
22nd January 2010, 09:02
Alistair, I think these exchanges on line are much more immediate, and convenient, and without the travel. It's fun. Could it be a 21st Century thing?

Attended a Bankline reunion once in Birmingham and was disappointed. ( Had to join the Association first, as a condition) I had persuaded some other ex shipmates to attend and they also were disappointed, and what's more, they blamed me for the experience afterwards. I did try to be positive and constructive, suggesting ways of improving things, but to no avail. Then there is the 20 for the association annually as mentioned above.....

Re CISCO's posting - I think you have it exactly in one. It was a way of life, with the added intrigue of getting to unusual places from time to time.

There are many other Forums on line, of course, and I enjoy myself on a couple of them dealing with hobbies and my portrait painting passion. (Started in the Bankline, probably, with a 5 gallon drum of paint and a ' man help ' )

rcraig
22nd January 2010, 10:38
In fairness to the Association, I suspect that it suffers from the usual problem of lack of volunteers with the devotion needed to make things work.

The Newsletter is an example. If the members are not prepared to participate, and they don't appear to be, then the result is a very limited letter which I personally found not of great interest much of the time.

And if like me your time within the company was short, you would not know anyone at the annual dinner which seems to absorb much of the annual sub.
Even in this forum I have met no one I knew which is hardly surprising 55 yrs on from a short 4 yr stint.

Many will be dead and even I have to pinch myself now and again just to make sure.

Now Alan, how about sticking on an attachment to one of your entries here just to show how you moved on from the difficult art of a straight line on a chipped rusty surface to the difficult art of portrait painting? I think it must fall into the thread heading. Bank Line participation....

Alan Rawlinson
22nd January 2010, 12:20
Ray, Never was much good at the ' straight line ' in the bankline, and remember being reduced to tears by one mate on the Ernebank after being bawled out for a wavy line in the accommodation.

Anyway, here's a quick pastel sketch of Mick Jagger.......

McMorine
22nd January 2010, 12:32
For what its "worth" I think the Bankline Association membership is now 25.00
Regards Mac.

Winebuff
22nd January 2010, 14:15
Didn't even know there was a "Bank Line Association" until I found SN.
I'm with Groucho Marks on that one, Never join a club that would have me as a member.
I like the spontaneity of these forums, you remind me of things I had even forgotten I'd forgotten.

Joe C
22nd January 2010, 14:25
Ray, Never was much good at the ' straight line ' in the bankline, and remember being reduced to tears by one mate on the Ernebank after being bawled out for a wavy line in the accommodation.

Thats brilliant Alan,you've been kind to him,he's nearly as old as us!

rcraig
22nd January 2010, 14:27

Many thanks. Very impressed!

What do you mean by quick pastel sketch?

Have only done one self portrait (unbelievable I know, given that I am my greatest admirer...perhaps the only one) and was rather pleased that my grandson identified me. But I think it was because of the distinctive size of the nose rather than any artistic skill.

Alistair Macnab
22nd January 2010, 14:43
So far, the response has been in favour of this Ships Nostalgia site over the 'official' Bank Line Association. I am inclined to agree with this verdict. I shall, however, retain my membership in the Association, as well if only for the Obituaries!
This SN site is much more immediate but it shares the fundamental flaw of the Association too.....we are all getting older and the group is like a Tontine. Inevitably there will only be one of us left! Then none!
SN, however, gives us the opportunity of attracting younger, perhaps, non-Bank Line readers and those Bank Line fellows who were short-time participants in the company, and that, on balance, comes out in favour of Ships Nostalgia Bank Line section.
Keep it up, Boys!
(Aren't we still all boys at heart?)

Alan Rawlinson
22nd January 2010, 16:08
Many thanks. Very impressed!

What do you mean by quick pastel sketch?

Have only done one self portrait (unbelievable I know, given that I am my greatest admirer...perhaps the only one) and was rather pleased that my grandson identified me. But I think it was because of the distinctive size of the nose rather than any artistic skill.

Ray, Thanks..

quick sketch = 20 to 30 minutes plus a bit of remedial work. The work I admire and would aspire to, takes days, but I seem to have trouble with the stamina and or patience. Was ever thus! If you achieved a likeness in your self portrait it is a great milestone , and you can post it on '' artists network ' which is a similar forum to SN with sub divisions i.e. oil, water color, pastel, etc etc. There are so many great mediums nowadays.

I had better tie this posting to the Bankline in case the site police get me for deviation, hesitation, or whatever......

Can recall Capt. Barry Mitchell on the Eastbank being a bit of an artist and with some talent. He had the easel and canvases up in his cabin quite often, and produced nice work. Who can remember other Masters hooked on this hobby?

rabaul
22nd January 2010, 21:18
Alistair I am not a member of the association although I have thought about it - this site seems to have brought together a growing group who realise that for the majority of us , for the majority of the time we really enjoyed our experiences with Bank Line - and we seem to enjoy revisiting them....

McMorine
23rd January 2010, 15:58
So far, the response has been in favour of this Ships Nostalgia site over the 'official' Bank Line Association. I am inclined to agree with this verdict. I shall, however, retain my membership in the Association, as well if only for the Obituaries!
This SN site is much more immediate but it shares the fundamental flaw of the Association too.....we are all getting older and the group is like a Tontine. Inevitably there will only be one of us left! Then none!
SN, however, gives us the opportunity of attracting younger, perhaps, non-Bank Line readers and those Bank Line fellows who were short-time participants in the company, and that, on balance, comes out in favour of Ships Nostalgia Bank Line section.
Keep it up, Boys!
(Aren't we still all boys at heart?)

Will the last one out, shut the generator down!!!!!
Regards Mac.

Charlie Stitt
23rd January 2010, 16:13
I am celebrating the signing of a new 10 year SN contract, hope you will all join me. Cheers.(Pint)

Alistair Macnab
23rd January 2010, 18:51
Charlie.....
You know, this is the first and so far the only site that is not always on the line to press you to sign up and pay a membership! One can probably stay on SN for years and never pay a penny! But this is wrong and we should all VOLUNTEER to support this excellent site.
If its GBP 25.00 a year for the Bank Line Association, then its a fair indication of what SN is worth and I think we all agree that this is the best site for all Bank Line Boys who have found it.
Tontine-wise, last guy standing, turn off the lights and don't forget to turn off the genny!( Thanks to McMorine for this word of caution!) I think this is an excellent inducement to keep this site going!! Since 'old age' is said to be 10 years beyond where you are now, then I'm good for another ten years!

Alan Rawlinson
24th January 2010, 08:53
Charlie.....
You know, this is the first and so far the only site that is not always on the line to press you to sign up and pay a membership! One can probably stay on SN for years and never pay a penny! But this is wrong and we should all VOLUNTEER to support this excellent site.
If its GBP 25.00 a year for the Bank Line Association, then its a fair indication of what SN is worth and I think we all agree that this is the best site for all Bank Line Boys who have found it.
Tontine-wise, last guy standing, turn off the lights and don't forget to turn off the genny!( Thanks to McMorine for this word of caution!) I think this is an excellent inducement to keep this site going!! Since 'old age' is said to be 10 years beyond where you are now, then I'm good for another ten years!

Good Morning, Alistair,

Was that VOLUNTEER as in '' who would like to clear the strum boxes '' ? The term ' lead balloon ' springs to mind.

McMorine
24th January 2010, 12:11
Quite willing to make a contribution Alistair, how do we go about it.
Regards Mac.

rcraig
24th January 2010, 12:28
I am celebrating the signing of a new 10 year SN contract, hope you will all join me. Cheers.(Pint)

Is there something you know about the future, Charlie, that I don't know about? I am reluctant to plan a bike run a week ahead. If someone asks if I fancy doing something in two months, the answer tends to be no, but what about tomorrow.

Charlie Stitt
24th January 2010, 17:12
Ray, I will let you into my secret.Each week, after a couple of pints of the Black Stuff, I give my dear wife a 20 meter start, then chase her around the hay field. If during the next 30 years it kills me, well I will surely die with a smile on my face.[=P]

Alistair Macnab
24th January 2010, 18:42
McMorine.....
Look in the dark banner line above the Queen Mary in the opening screen for "Support SN" and go from there!
By the way, in my language "volunteer' means just that. There is no form of compulsion in SN! Just the compulsion to sign in each day to see what's going on and to put in your ten cents' worth!
Cheers!

rcraig
24th January 2010, 19:09
Ray, I will let you into my secret.Each week, after a couple of pints of the Black Stuff, I give my dear wife a 20 meter start, then chase her around the hay field. If during the next 30 years it kills me, well I will surely die with a smile on my face.[=P]

If I did that, it would kill me.

John Dryden
24th January 2010, 20:27
Charlie.....

I agree with you there Alistair,most sites now are trying to make us pay.I used to read the Whitby Gazette online,theres nothing in it just the usual burglaries and dog fouling but now they want me to pay for it.
This is by far the best site I have found for Bank Line and all shipping companies.I only joined recently but the knowledge of the members astounds me,not to mention the humour!

mil511mariner
28th January 2010, 12:05
(Thumb) 30 years since I served my time with Bank Line a lot of memories remain quite fresh and even though a lot of shipping companies have employed me over the years the Bank Line forum is where I always look first to see whats up for discussion. As you have all stated - great value on the SN site.

With referrence to the straight lines of paint I still cringe at the word holiday - never used in my household we have always used vacation or break to stop my nervous tic returning.............(Cloud)

rcraig
28th January 2010, 17:01
Holidays? Look at an angle into the light. Look "down" light. Check when finished. Check again next day.

Bugger

kwg
28th January 2010, 17:12
Forgot that old 'Harry Tates' phrase...'Holidays' or 'Sundays at Sea'

"Call that a paint job, there's more holidays than Sundays at sea"

Donald McGhee
29th January 2010, 19:32
A Bosun I sailed with in Donaldsons, Willie Mitchell, had a favourite saying. "Slap it up, slap it up, it's no your paint". The application always had to be copious from Willie's point of view, but the screams when any runs were found were horrific!
You just can't win, what was the lesser of two evils? Runs or holidays?(Thumb)

Joe C
30th January 2010, 15:53
A Bosun I sailed with in Donaldsons, Willie Mitchell, had a favourite saying. "Slap it up, slap it up, it's no your paint". The application always had to be copious from Willie's point of view, but the screams when any runs were found were horrific!
You just can't win, what was the lesser of two evils? Runs or holidays?(Thumb)

Remember the brushes that were trimmed down so much by Cassub that they would only hold enough paint to make one stroke before they needed reloading? And the "WETPA INT" warning signs the crew used to write!

Charlie Stitt
30th January 2010, 18:20
A couple of Lascar crew could get around all the railings ( flush deck ships) in a day, using a piece of jute waste instead of a paintbrush. Some Apprentices used this painting method on the boatdeck rails.

Hamish Mackintosh
30th January 2010, 18:30
A couple of Lascar crew could get around all the railings ( flush deck ships) in a day, using a piece of jute waste instead of a paintbrush. Some Apprentices used this painting method on the boatdeck rails.

Used that method doing the stays on the "British Splendour". Can of white lead on one side of the chair, and stockholm tar on the other, quick job and finish, wound up with one black hand for a month, nobody told me you can't get Stockholm tar out of your skin(EEK)

rcraig
30th January 2010, 20:15
I remember white lead and tallow for stays, rather than white lead on its own. We certainly used cotton waste for painting railings. And of course, "chained" them free of rust with a length of chain first using a round turn.

Often we would have to use poor quality rags as a substitute for good cotton waste, which could be a real pain for soogying

Johnnietwocoats
30th January 2010, 21:38
I remember white lead and tallow for stays, rather than white lead on its own. We certainly used cotton waste for painting railings. And of course, "chained" them free of rust with a length of chain first using a round turn.

Often we would have to use poor quality rags as a substitute for good cotton waste, which could be a real pain for soogying

In my life after Bank Line and Texaco and after emigrating to Canada I became a Skipper on the Vancouver Fire Boat.....

Everyone mucked in when painting etc....

My crew were in awe when I showed them how to chain the rails and paint them with a good cotton rag....TC (Smoke) (Smoke)

Alistair Macnab
10th March 2010, 00:40
Looks like another record day for Bank Line participation in Ships Nostalgia. Keep up the flow, lads! A great range of topics with interesting and informative comments.

Hamish Mackintosh
19th March 2010, 17:56
I have a confession to make regarding Bank Line, I joined the Ivybank in North Shields circa1950 ( or there abouts) the whole crew except for the master "Freddy" Hale the chief Engineer(who never came out of his cabin) and the senior appy, were all pool people.I thought that Bankline only had the one ship, and never thought to enquire further, untill we came across another "Sam" Bankboat loading phosphate at Ocean Island, still the penny never dropped, now they had two ships!It only came to light for me when the senior appy, a John appelby Le Barber, was flown out of Melbourne to sit his ticket in India, then the old man reeled of a list of ships he speculated required a third mate, thats when I found out I was working in a fleet

boatlarnie
20th March 2010, 07:02
In my time with Safmarine I sailed with an ex Clan Line guy who spoke to me yesterday on Skype. I told him about SN and the many comments to be found under the Bank Line Forum. I suggested he look up the Clan Line Forum, maybe he would be able to contact an old friend or two. Logging on this morning I thought 'What the hell' so opened Clan Line. No comments for 2 months, very few threads so I thought maybe us guys ex Bank Line are something else after all.