Hello from New Zealand....

Jess_B
25th January 2010, 03:17
Hi all :-)

Just joined up and having a look around. Actually to be sneaky I am looking for information regarding a particular subject. My great grandfather was the cabin boy on a ship named the 'Dundonald' that was shipwrecked and spent 9 months as a castaway on Dissapoinment Island in 1907. I am particulary interested to hear from anybody who may know some information about this subject or know anywhere where I can find any info.

Thanks heaps and have a great day :-)
Jess

Gulpers
25th January 2010, 03:22
Jess,

A warm welcome aboard from the Isle of Anglesey, I guarantee you will thoroughly enjoy the SN experience!
I am also sure that someone will be able to help with your query in the meantime have a good look around. (Thumb)

billyboy
25th January 2010, 04:01
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to offer

Doug Shaw
25th January 2010, 08:39
Hi Jess,

If you haven't visited this site (http://www.nzetc.org/tm/scholarly/tei-CowHero-t1-body-d37.html), it's worth a look.

This site (http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/%7Enzbound/dundonald.htm) has better information, including a list of the survivors. Albert Roberts is listed as the cabin boy.

There is a good deal of information available from a variety of sources if you use the search terms "Dundonald Disappointment Island 1907" (without the quotation marks).

Good luck with your search.

Regards
Doug

R58484956
25th January 2010, 09:32
Greetings Jess and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

bert thompson
25th January 2010, 09:33
Jess welcome. Pleased to see that you are getting information already
Best wishes
Bert.

K urgess
25th January 2010, 12:39
Welcome aboard from northern England, Jess.
Find your way around and get to know the crew.
Have a good voyage.

benjidog
25th January 2010, 19:31
Welcome from Lancashire and thank you for pointing us at that interesting story. I wish you good luck with your research.

billyboy
25th January 2010, 22:07
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to offer

robingail
26th January 2010, 00:15
Hi.
In forums go down to "ships no more" click on "wrecks" go to page 5.
A quicker way is "search forums" & type in dundonald top right corner
of forums page.
Regards.
RGW.

GWB
26th January 2010, 02:07
Welcome aboard Jess from across the ditch in Brisbane enjoy the trip.

Glenn Milnes
18th April 2010, 04:41
Hello Jess,

The Dundonald story is why I too joined this forum (Just today). I posted some information on another thead on here that you may or may not have seen (put this in the search forums box) - Wreck of the Sailing Ship Dundonald. Iain's post tells the story very well. One of the quotes I made from the book mentions a 'Roberts - the cabin-boy' - amazing if this is your Great Grandfather mentioned in the book!

I'm not sure if you live in Christchurch but if you do, visit the Museum. In a glass case by where the Maori Whaka's are, is one of the boats the castaways built to try to get off of Disappointment Island and over to Auckland Island itself.

Anyway best of luck with your search - G.

gdynia
18th April 2010, 11:01
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage