Sevonia Team

pentlandpirate
28th January 2010, 15:40
Does anyone have any idea where the name ' Sevonia' comes from? Google it and all you are likely to find is a legal case regarding a cargo Sevonia Team carried....but nothing else. I suspect a Scandinavian connection given that the other boats were Gothia Team, Suecia Team, Norvegia Team, .....er, ...Anglia and Britannia Team

Skye Sierra
2nd February 2010, 19:10
Does anyone have any idea where the name ' Sevonia' comes from?

No idea really PP but I can remember having the same query discussed when I was on the Sevonia Team. One of the solutions I remember being put forward was that it was a mis-spelling of the historical province of SAVONIA in Finland, but that's the best I can come up with.

Regards Roger

Tom McNeill
1st March 2010, 17:19
She was named after the Sevon Investment Company one of the partners in the original Seateam Group but I don't know what the Savon company was named after though there is definitely a Swedish connection!
TCM

Malky Glaister
2nd March 2010, 02:27
Hi Tom,
Thought you would come up with the answer. I couldn't remember it
Regards Malky Glaister

Tom McNeill
2nd March 2010, 17:58
Good to hear from you Malky. Trust you are well and still thriving!

Rgds

Tom

Malky Glaister
2nd March 2010, 18:17
Good to hear from you Tom too. I am not exactly thriving but am ok. Had a great job with Sulzer pumps in Leeds last year working on the test bed with huge pumps and large hammers and spanners. Got laid off due to lack of orders but it was great whilst it lasted,
regards Malky

xdenholm
5th March 2010, 08:46
Good to hear from you Tom too. I am not exactly thriving but am ok. Had a great job with Sulzer pumps in Leeds last year working on the test bed with huge pumps and large hammers and spanners. Got laid off due to lack of orders but it was great whilst it lasted,
regards Malky

hi malky, yes i just had an e- from mark wager telling how bad things are at sulzer pumps , seems the ship manning amd ship breaking and now the pumps have gone to india, apoligies to all, this is nothing to do with the thread (Thumb) ps if still looking try camerons..in leeds they are looking for engineers , albeit christmas trees...for the oil and gas that is(Thumb)

Malky Glaister
10th March 2010, 15:51
Hi xdenholm,
Have tried Camerons but they have no vacancies. Life is tough for anyone in engineering in Leeds these days. Hope it picks up soon. Camerons were to have had an open day on march 15th but that,s been cancelled for no apparent reason. Even power stations of which there is no shortage in this area don't want to know.
With regard to Seateam. I wonder if there are any of the original standbye crews members of this site.
Best regards
Malky Glaister

oldman 80
9th May 2012, 06:40
Does anyone have any idea where the name ' Sevonia' comes from? Google it and all you are likely to find is a legal case regarding a cargo Sevonia Team carried....but nothing else. I suspect a Scandinavian connection given that the other boats were Gothia Team, Suecia Team, Norvegia Team, .....er, ...Anglia and Britannia Team

The Original Denholm Managed Team Ships were :- Norvegia Team, Anglia Team, Sevonia Team, Suecia Team, London Team, and Scandia Team.
The first five built at tha Arundel Ship Yard in Gothenburg,(1972/73), but Scandia was built by / at Oresundvarvet AB., Landskrona in 1974.

All 2nd generation OBO's - a big improvement on the first generation, for sure.
Nice colour scheme too - all orange and grey - with some cream.
Scandia Team became my first command.
I had Served as 2/O on Anglia Team ( Builders yard & Maiden Voyage) and C/O on both Anglia and Sevonia Team prior to my promotion.
Seateam the owners, I recall, were pretty good clients of DSM.- amongst the better ones, for sure.

Malky Glaister
9th May 2012, 12:56
Hi OLDMAN 80!

Is that your handle Gerry?

Scandia Team was launched. All the others built in drydock and floated out.

Great times in Gothenburg, I loved it.

regards
Malky

oldman 80
9th May 2012, 13:22
Hi OLDMAN 80!

Is that your handle Gerry?

Scandia Team was launched. All the others built in drydock and floated out.

Great times in Gothenburg, I loved it.

regards
Malky

Thats it Malky, but with a J not a G.
Gothenburg was great - The Mucky Duck, and all that, I'm sure you remember it well.
We sailed together on the Bern also you as 2/E; me C/O .
How are you these days.?

Malky Glaister
9th May 2012, 13:50
I am fine Jerry.

Bern was a serious nightmare. I have never seen anything like it since!!

Spent some years as Chief with Maersk and a few others befor becoming disillusioned and then retiring.

Do you recall Hakaan the guarantee lecky on Anglia. I met him in Gothenburg a few later and had quite a lot of beers.

Nice to hear from you mate

regards

Malky

oldman 80
9th May 2012, 13:56
Good to hear from you again after all these years.
The Bern - I paid off in Tennerife 1978 so it's 34 years since we last met.
Do you remember the mess that steering gear was in when I left
She was a nightmare for sure - but I sailed on worse later on - HK fleet.
Will pm you if I can find out how to do it.
Regards Jerry.

Tom McNeill
9th May 2012, 15:44
Hello Folks.

Sevonia Team was named after the Sevon Investment company, a Swedish finance outtfit that arranged the finance for the original Seateam ships.
Good to hear the fleet mentioned and Seateam were certainly among the best clients DSM had.
Hapag Lloyd did their best with Bern and Bilbao. Spent millions trying to restore them after they were taken back from the Greeks. Every time something was found and dealt with, something else crawled out of the woodwork!

Rgds

Tom

Malky Glaister
9th May 2012, 20:49
Sad about that explosion on Bilbao, Tom, very sad. I had some hairy moments indeed on Bern.
Got some pics of the Seateam newbuildings. Must look them out and get them posted.
Great times, I learned a lot holding me in good stead for the rest of my days.

Lets hear from some other Seat Team fellows.

regards Malky

grahamw
5th September 2012, 01:03
Sailed as sparks on the Sevonia and Anglia Team,always remember the Christmas presents from Seateam for everyone and the great food,HK Chinese crew I think

oldman 80
5th September 2012, 01:30
Sailed as sparks on the Sevonia and Anglia Team,always remember the Christmas presents from Seateam for everyone and the great food,HK Chinese crew I think

Yes indeed, H.K. Chinese is correct. Even of greater relevance in my view, was the fact that Seateam must have rated as amongst the very best of denholm clients.
Therein lies the reality of being employed by a management company, it is not only your employer which makes all the difference, it is very much the client as well.
It is reasonable to expect that the worlds premier ship management company, which Denholm were without doubt, can maintain such a rating when the clients are as good as were Seateam, and indeed a few others - but not all.
When the client turns out to be a scumbag, then unfortunately the manager is downgraded accordingly.
Thatcherism attracted the scumbags - it was either that, or have no clients at all.
A great Maritime Tragedy - no more and no less.
What a let down, what a disgrace, - for a once great Maritime Nation.
(Sad)

Adrian Goodwin
25th November 2012, 23:37
Sailed on the Anglia Team as 3rd Engineer then promoted to 2nd.
Team boats were a big improvement on the earlier OBOs. Preffered tankers or straight bulkers. OBOs had all the vices and none of the plusses.
Adrian Goodwin