My Worst Job Ever

kwg
29th January 2010, 11:48
Just left what-ever port down W. Africa, full steam ahead, Apps lumbered with hosing out hawse pipes after 'Crew Boys' been using them as toilets. Daft Mate wouldn't listen...Bridge thought it was hilarious, until they got some of it, there was Sh** everywhere, OM went ballistic.

kwg
30th January 2010, 10:21
I think the second worst job we apps had was 'red-leading' inside cofferdams, same daft mate nearly killed us with that one, nothing but a 4 inch brush and a pot of red-lead in a space too small to turn round or stand up. The 1st tripper was very ill for a couple of weeks, I had the grand-daddy of hang-overs for days...

rcraig
30th January 2010, 11:55
Never much liked cleaning out strum boxes full of rotten copra, dead Bombay canaries (by hand of course), and live ones trotting around above me in the confined space.

And doing that on my own with one cargo cluster in a completely empty hold at sea, especially in hold no.2 got to my imagination at times.

Had a thing about these canaries. Opening up the 'tween deck chilled rooms and seeing them in their thousands shimmering and rustling as they scattered, and then having to clear the rooms out was not a pleasure.

rabaul
30th January 2010, 20:03
Rats - cleaning holds around the coast of west africa after discharging general cargo from the bay of bengal. As the rubbish was removed from the lower hold the rats would start to appear - I was impressed by one sea cunnie who was working with us - the mate was master of minds and used to add some competition between the appies and the crew by getting the cadets to clean out number two hold with a couple of sea cunnies, while the serang and his boys cleaned out number three. of course an element of competition would kick in - certainly in number two hold - they were probably smiling away in number three. Anyway this sea cunnie used to sprint across the hold like an australian fielder on the boundary and in one movement pick up the live running rat and throw it at the bulkhead - killing it instantly. I hated rats then and I still do to this day.

John Dryden
30th January 2010, 21:49
Did most of the tasks already mentioned,strum boxes,Bombay canaries and rats and I know for a fact the mate sent us 2 first trip appies down to the steering gear compartment and had us painting the bulkheads soon as the ship started pitching in Biscay just to see what we were made of!Out of all the worst jobs we did I hated being dragged from my slumber in a storm to fasten down the metal lifeboat covers that were always ill-fitting and for ever blowing about.How we didn,t get blown overboard I don,t know.

Johnnietwocoats
31st January 2010, 02:01
Rats - cleaning holds around the coast of west africa after discharging general cargo from the bay of bengal. As the rubbish was removed from the lower hold the rats would start to appear - I was impressed by one sea cunnie who was working with us - the mate was master of minds and used to add some competition between the appies and the crew by getting the cadets to clean out number two hold with a couple of sea cunnies, while the serang and his boys cleaned out number three. of course an element of competition would kick in - certainly in number two hold - they were probably smiling away in number three. Anyway this sea cunnie used to sprint across the hold like an australian fielder on the boundary and in one movement pick up the live running rat and throw it at the bulkhead - killing it instantly. I hated rats then and I still do to this day.

Used to get a carton of ciggies from Old Man Williamson on the "Streambank" for every 10 rats I produced to him......

Loved the buggers......Used to watch as a cargo of Gunnies were discharged in West Africa from Calcutta and the bay of Bengal. The rats had nests all over the place with the little babies....LOL

Five babies equalled one Daddy Rat....TC(Smoke) (Smoke)

rabaul
31st January 2010, 11:36
Being in the lifeboat as it was raised or lowered on board the Forresbank, particularly if she as lightship.The overside discharges were positioned directly below the lifeboat davits - say no more .......

mil511mariner
3rd February 2010, 10:03
Cement washing feed water tanks Maplebank Port Klang 1977 - still have the burn marks on the inside of my fingers.

John Dryden
5th February 2010, 22:49
This was a particulary horrible job because I brought it on myself.First trip appie I wandered to the bridge and told the third mate that I,d spotted a ship flying distress flags.Now thanks to Nobby Clarke at Hull Trinity House I knew this to be true,so old man was called and sure eneough the vessel was in distress.Anway we stood by and two more IC flags were raised and we sent a Shermully rocket over and took her in tow.
I got the night shift job greasing the wires and ropes,two ropes and an insurance wire parted on my shift,we eventually fastened the wire to a length of anchor chain and after 4 days got the ship to Port London.
I know you tug men may laugh but the sound of the rope and wire straining was scary and like I say I copped for the night shift.
Got it written down too,if my appies journal is correct the stricken vessel was flying the IC flags KLB and when she accepted the tow the flags were LJ.
Anyway as the lowest of the lowest after months I got 3.00 salvage money for my labours.
The ship I was on was the Olivebank and the ship we rescued was called Sonrisa but never found a photo of the Sonrisa.

jimthehat
5th February 2010, 23:22
Most horrible job,yes cement washing tanks I used to hate doing the FW tanks situated in no 4 t/d on the old/original maplebank9sam boat.White crew but it was us apps that the bosun had do the job.

jim

John Dryden
5th February 2010, 23:33
Maybe because we were skinny and fitted in but also did it right as the chief kept is eye on us to make sure.

IRW
7th February 2010, 00:27
I still remeber mine almost 60 years later. First trip appy on Nessbank (April 57) Second day onboard going round the top stringers of the after deep tanks,feet going in all directions in oil, to open steam blanks. Then losing fingernails while bailing bilges. Pleasant though tiring 3 appys and chippy on holds 1 to 3 while crew on 4 & 5 - best when allowed to use bilge pumps on our own.

dick burrow
7th February 2010, 12:11
loaded 10,000 tons of raw sugar on Rosebank1968 in Guyaquil, south america and wharfies pumped in and buried tween deck beams with sugar, us appys stood waist deep in sugar to shovel them clear, what a clarty job, sugar was every where, trodden in to cabin carpets, alleyways etc. this was biggest cargo they,d had out of there and we were grounding all the way down river on highest tide, made it though, happy days!!

Charlie Stitt
7th February 2010, 18:13
As 2nd Mate of the Foylebank, Medical locker duties. Having to examine the Bhandarry's Rectum(EEK) when he come to me in great pain, saying he accidentally sat on the handle of a large wooden spoon.(==D) and pigs can fly. Yes it was 0930 hrs, just had breakfast. I know I should'nt have, but he got from me, the same medicine I dished out for all complaints. Black Jallop. Some Doc eh.:cool:

John Dryden
7th February 2010, 19:02
Black Jallop?Sounds digusting whatever it is,hope it cured him!

Johnnietwocoats
7th February 2010, 20:09
As 2nd Mate of the Foylebank, Medical locker duties. Having to examine the Bhandarry's Rectum(EEK) when he come to me in great pain, saying he accidentally sat on the handle of a large wooden spoon.(==D) and pigs can fly. Yes it was 0930 hrs, just had breakfast. I know I should'nt have, but he got from me, the same medicine I dished out for all complaints. Black Jallop. Some Doc eh.:cool:

(==D)

Charlie Stitt
7th February 2010, 21:06
John Dryden, did you not have the PRIVILAGE of being in charge of the Medical Locker ? Black Jallop, otherwise known as black draught, a very strong laxatave, carried by the gallon in Bank Line Medical Lockers. Guaranteed to shorten the queue of lead swingers waiting at the locker each morning. If you had the reputation of being a Black Jallop disher outer 2nd Mate, then you usually only got the guinuine sickies. Saved a lot of time. I picked this trick up from Dougie Christie 2nd Mate of the Laganbank, when I was 3rd Mate.(Thumb)

Santos
7th February 2010, 21:49
Worst job I ever had was in the duct keel. No 1 hatch had been washed out after a particularly bad passage through the Bay of Biscay on our way to Brazil & the River Plate. On arrival in Buenos Aires it was found that some drums of creosote in the shelter deck has burst, the contents had gone below into the tween decks and lower hold onto cardboard cartons of lamp black. You can imagine the mess. It was decided that it was too dear to have shoreside cleaners to do the job so the Mate set us cadets and the crowd to do the job instead. We cleaned it all as best we could then it was washed down. When we came to pump it out, it worked well for a bit then the the pumps stopped as the pipes were blocked. No ammount of use of Chippies Worm would shift it, so Chippie and I were sent into the duct keel to strip out the piping and clean it. The piping for about 100 feet was blocked with rubber. We had a manhelper with a chisel lashed to it to clean out the pipes. Working in a box shaped tunnel approx three feet by three feet for four days removing each length of pipe, cleaning it making new rubber flanges and then reconnecting it all. Fortunately Chippie had blocked the strum box end with a wooden plug so we did not get flooded.

The heat was awful and we got quite badly burnt by the creosote and no reward at the end. Apparantly she had carried latex at one time which had leaked and been pumped out via the bilges. This had coated the inside of the pipes with latex which had hardened. The creosote had lifted it and blocked the pipes.

Chris.

Alistair Macnab
7th February 2010, 23:25
The good ship "Laganbank" (1955) has had her name sullied about by victims of rotten job assignment aboard that illustrious vessel. Here's one to add to the list!
After heavy pounding forward en route light ship from the Continent to the U.S. Gulf in mid-Atlantic, Chippy discovered seawater in No,1 DB tank. Pumping and physical inspection showed sprung rivets in the keel to garboard strakes over several bays abaft the forward manhole so decided to fix a cement box over the entire area. Several days later, tank again full of sea water so back down to fix with a cement box over the cement box. Working in confined spaces covered in cement as the ship rose up and crashed down like an express lift with ears constantly popping and the gag reflex tested. Didn't work the second time until we tommed off the cement box against the underside of the tanktop floor. Spent five or six days in this operation and as far as I know, the "Laganbank" eventually went to her new owners with this huge hunk of cement inside her No.1 DB tank!

John Dryden
8th February 2010, 00:02
Sh**,red lead,white lead,Bombay Canaries,copra and sticky sugar,not to mention a creosote and lamp black cocktail and rats.You,d do it all again probably but you would never go to Charlie Stitt with a wooden spoon inflicted injury!

simomatra
8th February 2010, 02:13
John Dryden, did you not have the PRIVILAGE of being in charge of the Medical Locker ? Black Jallop, otherwise known as black draught, a very strong laxatave, carried by the gallon in Bank Line Medical Lockers. Guaranteed to shorten the queue of lead swingers waiting at the locker each morning. If you had the reputation of being a Black Jallop disher outer 2nd Mate, then you usually only got the guinuine sickies. Saved a lot of time. I picked this trick up from Dougie Christie 2nd Mate of the Laganbank, when I was 3rd Mate.(Thumb)

I remember that queue of a morning and remember one 2nd mate who will remain nameless. He used to dish out the black draught but his real good one to get rid of lead slingers was to get them to put there tongue out and he would pop the fizzy pills straight on the tongue, no water allowed. That shortened the queue by a long way. :sweat: :sweat: :sweat:

Johnnietwocoats
8th February 2010, 02:51
Sh**,red lead,white lead,Bombay Canaries,copra and sticky sugar,not to mention a creosote and lamp black cocktail and rats.You,d do it all again probably but you would never go to Charlie Stitt with a wooden spoon inflicted injury!

Four year Apprenticeship with Bank Line....

Five different Ships...

Two miserable Old Men and ....

One nasty Mate (most of the time. Sailed with him twice. Total of 2 and a half years)

Not one sick day......(Odd hangover)

Loved the food....

Did every one of the jobs described on this Thread...And More...

And I am one happy Sonofabitch here in Vancouver.....

That's where the Winter Olympics start next week....

TC(Smoke) (Smoke)

jimthehat
8th February 2010, 12:26
Re black draught,yes always shortened the queue.A doc in sydney fed up with all the bank line indian crews being brought up to him frequently told me to order vials of vit c and inject that up their rear,would make them feel better and with bumps on their rear would make them visit the med locker less frequently,so always kept it in stock the rest of the trip,

jim

lesbryan
8th February 2010, 12:52
The worst i evef had to do clean and paint the cable locker whilst we were in dry dock

China hand
8th February 2010, 18:18
On a wierd converted bulkie in Port Everglades. Boilerman lets the kettle go Yuck. 3rd engineer and Ch.Mate (me) smallest guys on the ship. In we go expanding tubes. It weren't arf ot ma. Job done. burns treated. Pats on back. Beer.
One week later. Same boilerman lets kettle go Yuck. Before we went back in, 3rd engineer had to be shut up in cabin until said boilerman was shipped put back home to Barbados (or possibly homicidal tendancies would occur). Then we did it all again.
Laugh was, the experiment with the cement carrier failed, but it was 1973, we tried.(Jester)

JOHNKITTO
23rd February 2010, 14:58
The worst job ever? As a Bank Line apprentice all the jobs were the worst, would I do it again. You bet your life I would. Best four years of my life. (good job the wife doesn't read this)

R58484956
23rd February 2010, 15:34
Worst job on the QE was clearing number 3 stbd sewage pump of whatever was inside jamming the impellor and making the tank over flow. The things that were found inside the pump was at times quite surprising e.g. mans jacket, ladies thick skirt,underwear how the hell they got them through the toilet only they knew plus of course all the usual stuff. we had 8 sewage units and this one was the only one that ever gave trouble. By the way it also smelt.