Do you beat on land crabs here?

otek
29th January 2010, 16:09
Hello all,

Let's get it out there: I am a certified land crab, and most of you have probably forgotten more about ships than I will ever learn. Yet I have a long standing fascination with big ships, particularly tankers.

I was born in Göteborg, Sweden, and one of my earliest memories of childhood is that of my dad taking me down to Eriksberg and watching the construction of the M/S Svealand OBO carrier. I remember my awe and fascination with the sheer size of the steel plates being welded together, and I can still remember the smells and sounds. In my young mind, the ship was a huge, benign leviathan, a sea creature with a heart and a soul.

As I grew older, that image never quite left me, and is probably the reason why now, as a grown man with mostly unrelated pursuits taking up my time, I am returning to browse these fora today.

So thank you for a beautiful and fascinating forum! Hopefully, if I ask questions later, I will be able to pose them in a reasonably intelligent (read: non-annoying) fashion, and you will be able to review them with a modicum of patience.

Thanks,

otek

joebuckham
29th January 2010, 16:15
hi otek, everyones welcome here, even land crabs. enjoy(Thumb)

non descript
29th January 2010, 17:03
otek, a warm welcome to you on your first posting. Thank you for joining the community; do enjoy the site and all it has to offer, and we very much look forward to your postings. (Thumb)

K urgess
29th January 2010, 17:41
Welcome aboard from northern England.
Find your way around and get to know the crew.
Have a good voyage.

quietman
29th January 2010, 17:59
All welcome on this site mate. Most of us are shore side now and after all if no one was shoreside ships would never exist to transport stuff around.

Frank P
29th January 2010, 19:29
Welcome onboard otek, enjoy the site.

Cheers Frank

TonyAllen
29th January 2010, 19:47
Otek welcome.but at this moment in time they can beat on anybody, but its great fun to be part of both the receiving and the giving and, improving your education to the wide world of ex seamen. The past masters of the world. Regards Tony Allen

billyboy
29th January 2010, 21:42
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to offer

benjidog
29th January 2010, 23:29
Welcome from Lancashire - I hope you will enjoy the site.

otek
31st January 2010, 05:29
Thanks for that warm welcome!

Seeing as how I mentioned it in the original post, is there anyone here who happened to sail on the Svealand at some point? Stories welcome of course! (Thumb)

otek

Gulpers
1st February 2010, 20:55
otek,

A warm welcome aboard from the Isle of Anglesey!
I hope you thoroughly enjoy your time on SN and get many happy hours entertainment from your membership. (Thumb)

bert thompson
2nd February 2010, 09:34
Otek welcome to this great site
Best wishes
Bert.