Crew Lists 70s

ALAN TYLER
30th January 2010, 11:52
I,ve got these crew lists from the 70s, maybe some of the members will remember being on these ships at these times.

tim frary
30th January 2010, 22:01
hi i was deck boy on the faraday with the crew list for 1-5-72 which you have posted but my name is not on the list but the rest of the crew are why is this. also on the same list is the orenda bridge my twin brother sailed on her 1-5-72 but his name is also not on the list but the rest of the crew he sailed with are.or is it that deck boys were not all ways put on the lists......tim(Thumb)

Bombersman
31st January 2010, 11:37
Splendid!!!

It was good to see who was still at sea and on which ship, people that I had sailed with prior to coming ashore in 1966. There were lots of familiar names here that conjured up many memories.

Perhaps I should look through these lists again, as I failed to pick out my old mate Alan Lowery, but that may be due to dwelling on memories of names and ships and not paying attention to my search.

Kind regards and thank you for this contribution.

Bob W.

marinero
31st January 2010, 12:09
Thanks for that Alan, another piece of history for the Family Tree.
Trust the family is all well.

Regards Leo

marinero
31st January 2010, 14:08
Further to your crew lists Alan, image No. 3 contains the list of Crew Members on board the "Royston Grange" at the time of the accident.

Regards (Thumb)

ALAN TYLER
31st January 2010, 14:41
hi i was deck boy on the faraday with the crew list for 1-5-72 which you have posted but my name is not on the list but the rest of the crew are why is this. also on the same list is the orenda bridge my twin brother sailed on her 1-5-72 but his name is also not on the list but the rest of the crew he sailed with are.or is it that deck boys were not all ways put on the lists......tim(Thumb)

Hi Tim, Sorry you,re not on the list were you on the Permanent Employment register at the time, as I think they only named those on PER and contract.

ALAN TYLER
31st January 2010, 14:45
Further to your crew lists Alan, image No. 3 contains the list of Crew Members on board the "Royston Grange" at the time of the accident.

Regards (Thumb)

Hi Leo,Hope alls well with you, I,ve just come across an article about the Royston, I,ll put it on the site soon. I,ve some more crew lists to post as well.

Bombersman
31st January 2010, 16:09
Alan said
I,ve some more crew lists to post as well.

I look forward to this Alan.

Bob W.

MARINEJOCKY
31st January 2010, 16:46
Hi Bob W.

I wonder how we could find out what Alan Lowery is up too, as I have said previously I sailed with him a number of times from cadet, junior, 5/E, 4/E, 2/E and even took over from him as Chief when he had to rush home to his wife in Santos when she had problems giving birth. Thankfully all turned out well but then I left Houlders and lost touch with Alan.

I can hear his voice to this day telling me I was a hopeless welder until I pointed out that he was my teacher and then him calling me a F---ing Wa-ker which being 17 yrs old I could not disagree with him (*))

anyway that is one guy I would like to meet again.

I did note on the crews list the lack of engineer cadets ?, Deck cadets were listed but not us lot

Regards, ME

marinero
31st January 2010, 19:13
The more crew lists the merrier. All well over here. Off to the UK on Thursday for two weeks. Driving back to the UK in June as there is a new grandchild due. The wife's knitting needles haven't stopped since she found out.

Regards (Thumb)

Leo

tim frary
31st January 2010, 20:14
i went contract just after paying off the faraday so thats why not on the list.....tim

Bombersman
31st January 2010, 21:36
Good day Marinejockey, nice to be in touch again. You said: -

Thankfully all turned out well

I wondered about that, and thought that if this hadn't been the case then it might have been the end of his sea career. You have put my mind at rest on that score, thank you. What year would that have been?

Further crew lists (which I look forward to) might show where Alan was.

Like you I would love to get in touch with him again but am at a loss as to know how.

Kind regards

Bob W.

MARINEJOCKY
31st January 2010, 21:39
Are you sure it is the "wife's knitting needles" Leo, I seem to remember C/E Jackie Scotlands wife on the Cumbria teaching us all how to knit or was that when you were enjoying an enforced vocation in Las Palmas (*))

MARINEJOCKY
31st January 2010, 21:47
Hi Bob,

I left the Cavendish in November 1979 for the last time so I am guessing it would be about 2 or 3 months before that, that baby that he flew home to see would be about thirty now.

I am guessing Alan would be about 70 / 75 now. Did you know any of his family in Newcastle. I can ask my parents if they have any family left there but I think the Hope's (Fish Cake Factory) have all left now with my cousins now living in the Bahama's. I think Alan had at least 3 kids.

Bombersman
1st February 2010, 10:54
Alan is about the same age as me, Malcolm, possibly a few months older. He started serving his time the same day that I did and I remember my first introduction to him when I was in the gauge box and he was in the blade shop. That was in September 1956. As I am 69 he would also be 69 or possibly 70.

Did you know any of his family in Newcastle.
He had an older brother called Fred, and that might be a starting point if I can locate him and assuming that he still lives in the North East. He also had a younger brother whose name I don't know. Unfortunately, unlike my name, his name is fairly common in the North East. Thinking back now, he also had a cousin called Les Cummins and an uncle who had a garage on Church Street actually called "Lowery's". Les Cummins used to work at that garage during school holidays. I will first try and locate Fred and Les Cummins via the telephone directory.

Kind regards,

Bob W.

marinero
1st February 2010, 12:23
Are you sure it is the "wife's knitting needles" Leo, I seem to remember C/E Jackie Scotlands wife on the Cumbria teaching us all how to knit or was that when you were enjoying an enforced vocation in Las Palmas (*))

Not me Malcolm. I was in Las Palmas as you say, at the time. I must tell you about that sometime. You and your two wotsits would have been in heaven.

Regards (Thumb)

MARINEJOCKY
1st February 2010, 22:19
Bob, I will ask the folks to see if they can find out anything from those names you mentioned.

Leo, there I was thinking you where flat on your back in Las Palmas and now by the sound of it you were (*))

Best regards to you both, ME

ALAN TYLER
2nd February 2010, 13:05
Heres my others and hopefully a movement sheet! No movement sheet, got to resize!

marinero
2nd February 2010, 13:52
Thanks Alan. Have you any more?

Regards

Leo (Thumb)

ALAN TYLER
2nd February 2010, 14:03
Hi Malcolm, Heres a few Eng Cadets on lists to come.....1/4/71 W Evans St Merriel, S Brown, R Stephens, B Cambridge, T Buckley, Stolt Tudor. M Imrie Oswestry G. I Wilcox Orotava B. W Mc Coubrey Hardwicke G. D Barnes Joya McCance D Taylor, F O,Connell Brandon Priory,
1/9/71 W Jones Tewksbury, P Tucker Orotava B, C Campbell Stolt Tudor, C Carter Edenmore, G Reeves Sagamore, P Ellis, W Bradley St Margaret, and finally G Brown on the St Merriel. Hope you don,t feel so left out now, only joking. Alan.

Bombersman
2nd February 2010, 15:01
Thanks again Alan.

Only two of my earlier shipmates showed this time Alan Lowery showed this time and Pat Cafferty. Pat was my second senior engineer (getting chiefs steam time) on the 12-4 on the Brandon Priory in 1961 when I was a first trip junior. Pat pointed me in the right direction for my future at sea and was held in deep respect by me.

Regards

Bob W.

Bombersman
2nd February 2010, 15:19
Malcolm, I found an A Lowery at Cramlington in Northumberland, but drew a blank. Fred Lowery and Les Cummins no luck either. Fred also served his time at Hawthorn's and the last I saw of Les was in 1961 when he had just got his HNC (elec). Alan and Les both went to Heaton Tech. Alan from passing the 11+ and Les as a recommendation at 13 years old from Wharrier St. Sec Mod.

Another long shot was an A. Lowrey at Ponteland but I got no answer.

Kind regards

Bob W.

digger58
2nd February 2010, 21:11
Heres my others and hopefully a movement sheet! No movement sheet, got to resize!

Hi Alan,
thanks for posting the crew lists,my name is on there,asst steward dg culver,oswestry grange.
Brings back memories!
Regards
Duncan

norsea
8th February 2010, 00:18
Many thanks Alan for posting the Movement Sheets. I was 1st Mate on Camarina with the late Magnus Tulloch as Master. I finished up in Oregis before medical retirement but scanning the crew lists jogged my memory of many of the men I was happy to serve with during my 25 years with Houlders.
Regards and Best Wishes
Angus Davidson

veste
8th February 2010, 21:04
Alan,
Thanks for posting these lists, see myself in the first set on the Orotava Bridge then later on the Joya McCance as deck cadet, very useful for remembering people you sailed with.
Kind regards veste.

LOCKER
9th March 2010, 03:37
Hi Bob W.

I wonder how we could find out what Alan Lowery is up too, as I have said previously I sailed with him a number of times from cadet, junior, 5/E, 4/E, 2/E and even took over from him as Chief when he had to rush home to his wife in Santos when she had problems giving birth. Thankfully all turned out well but then I left Houlders and lost touch with Alan.

I can hear his voice to this day telling me I was a hopeless welder until I pointed out that he was my teacher and then him calling me a F---ing Wa-ker which being 17 yrs old I could not disagree with him (*))

anyway that is one guy I would like to meet again.

I did note on the crews list the lack of engineer cadets ?, Deck cadets were listed but not us lot

Regards, ME

HI Yall, :- ME, Alan and Bob W.
Alan Lowery went to live in Santos in Brazil.

He joined or started up Metalok Do Brazil or one of the sub branches. His company could do all sorts of repairs besides metal stitching and we even had a motor rewound by him. He was a good contact for anything you needed doing in Rio.
However we lost touch with him and he might have stopped that area of work.
Possibly somebody researching Metalok in Brazil might turn up something.

Thanks everybody for putting these crew list on the site.
Invaluable. keep up the good work.

rgds
Locker

michael higgins
14th March 2010, 22:37
hi alan,thanks for putting the crew lists on the site.i joined cymbeline in march 78 and sailed on her until june 1980.great ship great crews,i remember capt kirkby very well he was relieving the regular skipper john potter the regular chief steward jimmy potts must also have been on leave.i had forgot about the chinese cook until i saw the crew list and another name is assitant stewrd joe phillimore who was a real good shipmate.there was one A/B who done a few trips on cymbeline called charlie skillicorn a right character does any one know him by any chance.

Bombersman
15th March 2010, 12:51
Alan Lowery went to live in Santos in Brazil.

Thanks Locker, That's the latest sighting we have so far. (Thumb)

Kind regards

Bob. W

Old Bakelite
16th March 2010, 21:39
He joined or started up Metalok Do Brazil or one of the sub branches...

I know some of the people at Metalock and have asked them if they know this name.

Bombersman
17th March 2010, 10:12
I know some of the people at Metalock and have asked them if they know this name.

Good on you Old Bakelite(Thumb)

Regards

Bob W.

MARINEJOCKY
21st March 2010, 17:41
I know Alan Lowery was living in Santos at the end of 1979 as he was C/E and I was 2/E on the Cavendish and then he had to rush home when his wife was having problems giving birth and I took over from him for a few weeks until I left in November 1979.

I never knew he worked for Metalok so that may be a way to make contact again.

Old Bakelite
29th March 2010, 19:53
Unfortunately no one recognizes the name. Paul Barton is in charge down there and he and some others do not, and Paul's Dad who ran it before him and may have known, passed away a few years ago. Looks like a dead end I'm afraid.

Bombersman
30th March 2010, 15:36
Thank you for your efforts Old Bakelite, even though it resulted in a dead end.

Much appreciated.(Thumb)

Kind regards

Bob W.

billy vokes
28th December 2012, 19:27

Hi Alan
seen my name on the Dunster grange crew list, 2nd trip as engine room boy, what a trip yhat was, run out of fresh water in Rosario while anchored off waiting to load, no water barges available & everyone had to visit the water tanks in the engine room every night and fill their bucket to have a wash, when we eventully got along side going ashore was a nightmare as the grain berth was overrun with the biggest rats I have ever seen and once ashore things did'nt inprove, myself, andy Lynskey (AS) Ian potter (2nd cook) and the catering boy decided to take a taxi ride without the driver, needless to say we did'nt get far, about 20 yards infact, before it stalled and blocked all the other traffic, obviously we all done one but the cops caught Andy and we did'nt see him again for another 2 weeks when he rejoined us in B.A were we went to top up. the good ole days eh.

ALAN TYLER
29th December 2012, 12:55
Hi Billy Glad it brought back the memories for you. I occasionally have a look at the crew lists and wonder where all the ship mates ended up. Though this is a great site to look into as you never know who might pop up from your past. One thing I never sailed with an Engine room Boy, I presume this was the equivilant of a deck boy. Alan.

Lucky John
29th December 2012, 14:15
Hi Alan,
Many thanks for posting those, I find myself on sheets 2&4 as 2nd mate on the Sagamore and the Cerinthus, brings back a lot of memories but shows how bad my memory is, there seems to be far more names forgotten than remembered unfortunately.
Regards
John Ireland

ALAN TYLER
30th December 2012, 14:52
Hi Alan,
Many thanks for posting those, I find myself on sheets 2&4 as 2nd mate on the Sagamore and the Cerinthus, brings back a lot of memories but shows how bad my memory is, there seems to be far more names forgotten than remembered unfortunately.
Regards
John Ireland
Hi John, Just checked the discharge book and find I signed on/off on the 24/26/5/72 (due to fathers death) after bringing the Cerinthus round from Stanlow to the Tyne I did a deep-sea trip the previous year on her, many of the crew the same. I and many others on the site have many happy memories of the old girl. All the best for the New Year Alan.

Lucky John
30th December 2012, 15:57
Hi Alan,
Just checked my discharge book and I joined the day you left on the Tyne, I was there until December and flew home from Dar es Salaam, was a good trip with a good crowd. She was also my first trip to sea as a 16yr old cadet in 1964, another good trip, always chatty but happy it seemed.
All the best
John

billy vokes
30th December 2012, 20:27
Hi Billy Glad it brought back the memories for you. I occasionally have a look at the crew lists and wonder where all the ship mates ended up. Though this is a great site to look into as you never know who might pop up from your past. One thing I never sailed with an Engine room Boy, I presume this was the equivilant of a deck boy. Alan.

Hi Alan
yes, er boy was the equivilant of a deck boy, I believe there were only 3 of us, although I never went to sea school as the deck & catering boys did, I managed to slip in thru the back door but before I actully went deep sea I was sent to Liverpool to work by on the Ocean Transport & the Westbury as a sort of induction, I can tell you, 4 weeks spent cleaning the inside of boilers and scrapping out scavengers nearly put me off boats for life but I perservered and went on to have ten of the best years of my life deep sea, although not all spent in the engine room, after 4 years I went back to Liverpool and took my AB's & lifeboat ticket and spent the remaining 6 years on deck.

Met some great guys and had alot of great times along the way and thanks to this site have managed to make contact with a few old ship mates, probabley a few more on here but with some preferring to go by their user names it's hard to tell.

ALAN TYLER
31st December 2012, 14:26
Hi Billy, Yes the user name can be a bit frustrating but maybe some individuals like to keep their identities private for personal reasons. Happy New Year Alan