looking MV Swainsby...

graham beer
30th January 2010, 17:04
Hello everyone, this is my first venture this deep into the website, so excuse any curious happenings! A good friend of mine, Derek Coles, was a motorman on the MV Swainsby during the 1950's, sailing from Hartlepool for Ropners Shipping (amongst many other assignments), and - with some help from me and my computer. is hoping to research some of the vessels he served on.
I'd be delighted to receive any info, e-mails/photos that I can pass on to Derek, and of course will return the compliment if we can. Please note this research is only for personal use and enjoyment - your cherished mementos will not be appearing in an expensive book or an auction!
Thanks in advance
Graham Beer

ian d.cameron
30th January 2010, 17:19
Hello and welcome.
Photos I and 3 of the Swainby
http://www.photoship.co.uk/JAlbum%20Ships/Old%20Ships%20Sl/slides/Swainby-01.html

K urgess
30th January 2010, 17:38
Welcome aboard from East Yorkshire, Graham.
Find your way around and get to know the crew.
Have a good voyage.

fred henderson
30th January 2010, 18:01
A warm welcome Graham. Best of luck on your quest. I see that you have already had a response from Ian. Enjoy the site and all it offers.

Fred (Thumb)

Ian Richardson
30th January 2010, 18:10
mv Swainby was built by Wm.Gray at Hartlepool and completed in 1941 as the Empire Sunbean, for the Ministry of War Transport. She was 6711 Gross Tons.
She was managed by Ropners during the war and taken over by them at Cardiff on 8th October 1945.
Built as a coal burner she was converted to oil at Southbank, Middlesbrough the conversion being completed on 15th July 1950.
She was the last steamer owned by the Ropner Shipping Company and was sold in 1962 to Trafalgar Shipping Co., London and re named Newgate. In 1967 her ownership was changed to Kantana Shipping Co., Cyprus and in 1969to the Newgate Shipping Co. (These companies were all within the Tsavliris Group.)
She was scrapped at Istanbul in 1971.
I hope this information is of assistance.

Regards, Ian Richardson.

bert thompson
30th January 2010, 18:28
Graham welcome and good luck with your searches
Best wishes
Bert.

zelo1954
30th January 2010, 21:12
There's a really great colour photo of her on Shipspotting.com.

http://media.shipspotting.com/uploads/photos/rw/846982/Ship+Photo+SWAINBY.JPG

It may even have found its way on to SN by now.

Ian Richardson
30th January 2010, 21:27
Further to my earlier reply, of course Swainby was a steam ship with 3 cylinder tiple expansion engines. As I said originally coal fired she was converted to oil in 1950.

Her measurements were 419 ft bp 423 ft overall x 56 feet in the beam.

Sister ships also bought by Ropners were:

Empire Cabot - Clearpool
Empire Clarion - Cedarpool
Empire Lionel - Levenpool

Levenpool was sold along with Swainby also to Tsavliris and renamed Newlane before she was scrapped in 1969.

Hope this information is also of use.

Regards,

Ian Richardson.

billyboy
30th January 2010, 22:18
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to offer

R58484956
31st January 2010, 11:39
Greetings Graham and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

Gulpers
1st February 2010, 21:57
Graham,

A warm welcome aboard from the Isle of Anglesey!
I hope you thoroughly enjoy your time on SN and get many happy hours entertainment from your membership. (Thumb)

lakercapt
2nd February 2010, 04:53
S.S.SWAINSBY was in the Aussie coast in 1953/54 and ran coal from Newcastle NSW and iron ore from Whyalla.