Find me "S.S.SOLUNTO"

Piero Casiglia
18th October 2005, 18:47
Dear friends,

I'am research plain,pictures,photos or other informations regarding
S.S. SOLUNTO - Italian flag
Launched in Sunderland U.K. on 1872 by shipbuilding W.Watson- iron hull n.419 - official No 62670
Propulsion : North East Marine Engine Co.Ltd. - Power : nom.225 - reg.80
Measures : feet 285 x 35
Tonnage : gross ton 1869 - net 1582
Owner : 1872/1877 La Trinacria Società di Navigazione - Palermo.
1877/1881 I.& V. FLORIO – Palermo
1881/1900 Navigazione Generale Italiana N.G.I. - Genova
1900 scraped.

Info : on friday June 8th,1877 leaves from Palermo direct to New York , arrive on 29th. Capitan is P.Pirandello. and on July 14 1877 sail from NewYork to Bremen.
In a article in the New York Times, on May 27 ,1879 it describes the ship as having arrived from "Pirandello Italy" on May 9th 1879 at New York with fruit .

Thanks in advance for your cooperation, best regards : Piero Casiglia - Genova,Italy.

P.S. Of course , refund expenses

Doug Rogers
19th October 2005, 04:45
Hi Piero, I am sure that other members will be able to assist you in your quest.

Piero43
19th October 2005, 09:04
Ciao!
I received by mistake this mail from Fred Henderson on 30th of June:

"Hi Piero. I have posted onto the working gallery site of watercolour picture, all of my data on two Italian ships named Solunto. I hope it is of interest

Best regards

Fred"

I didn't imform you 'cause I was sure that going thru the gallery you would find the pics of Solunto.
Scusa il ritardo!
Piero

Doug Rogers
19th October 2005, 10:13
Thanks Piero, my error I didnt make the connection...glad though that you got some input!!
Caio...

Piero Casiglia
19th October 2005, 11:53
Hi Piero, I am sure that other members will be able to assist you in your quest.
First of all thank'you ,my dear Doug: I've followed your advice and I hope
to receive good news.

Piero Casiglia
19th October 2005, 13:12
Ciao!
I received by mistake this mail from Fred Henderson on 30th of June:

"Hi Piero. I have posted onto the working gallery site of watercolour picture, all of my data on two Italian ships named Solunto. I hope it is of interest
Best regards

I didn't imform you 'cause I was sure that going thru the gallery you would find the pics of Solunto.
Scusa il ritardo!
Piero
Ciao omonimo, No problem ! - I send message at my friend Fred, shipbuilding.
"Find me Solunto also you" Thankyou my dear Piero.

Piero43
21st October 2005, 15:52
A good deal of informations about italian shipping (ships and owners) is given in an old book that maybe you know: "Navi a vapore ed armamenti italiani dal 1818 ai giorni nostri" ("I giorni nostri" are the late Thirties!) by Tomaso Gropallo, edited by Istituto Grafico Bertello in 1958. I don't know if this book is still edited;but it seems unlikely.
In it there is also a story of Florio and his ships (Solunto included) but only a pic of "Solunto II" (of La Veloce) that I include, if of your interest.
According this book:
- tonnage of Solunto was 1933 GRT
- she carried emigrants as well as general cargo in her first journey to NY
- the journey to Europe was via UK to Palermo carrying coal.

Ciao
Piero DM

Piero Casiglia
23rd October 2005, 18:53
A good deal of informations about italian shipping (ships and owners) is given in an old book that maybe you know: "Navi a vapore ed armamenti italiani dal 1818 ai giorni nostri" ("I giorni nostri" are the late Thirties!) by Tomaso Gropallo, edited by Istituto Grafico Bertello in 1958. I don't know if this book is still edited;but it seems unlikely.
In it there is also a story of Florio and his ships (Solunto included) but only a pic of "Solunto II" (of La Veloce) that I include, if of your interest.
According this book:

Ciao
Piero DM

Caro Piero, thanks for your informations. I've this book ( one and only ed.1958) since 1978. Nothing image unfortunately of the Solunto.
I have received by Immigration Office New York the passengers list of the
first voyage (dep. from Palermo June 8th ,arr. N.York 29th :three weeks).
In any case I thank you again.
Ciao, Piero.

Piero Casiglia
4th November 2005, 07:56
#10 Today, 09:40
Piero Casiglia [ONLINE]
Senior Member Join Date: Mar 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"FOREWARNING"
One of these days you will partecipate to a competition : I will show you the image
of a steamboat and you will have to express your judgment approximately the com-
patibility between this image and steamboat "SOLUNTO".
I must construct the model as possible.
Thanks for your attention. Regards - Piero Casiglia

Piero Casiglia
13th November 2005, 11:47
Allo everyone: "SOLUNTO" Comparison

Dear friends,
After a year of extensive research, I still have not been able to find image
of the “SOLUNTO”.
The only possibility that could be of help is from a painting called :
One of the first transatlantics from the “Navigazione Generale Italiana-
(N.G.I.) Flotte riunite Florio & Rubattino “ while leaves the port of Palermo. Of wich I enclose a copy.
The artist , Francesco Lo Jacono (1841-1915) from Palermo, was very
close to the family Florio and was recognised for his artist merit in many
of his other paintings.
I would like to know if your expertise on the subject could tell me if
the structure of the ship (shown be low), could be compatible with this
reprodution of the painting :
A)- The operating period was around 1872 – launch at Sunderland UK –
to 1900.
B)- The tecnical characteristics exstracted from the U.K.Naval Registry
were :
“SOLUNTO” 1886
“Official Number 11
“Regging : iron single screw Brigantine-2 decks, 3 bulkheads,water “ballast aft & forward.
“Tonnage : 1908 tons gross and 1242 tons net.
“Dimention : 280.1 feet long, 34.4 foot beam and holds, 25 feet deep.
“Bridge 49 tons ; Deckhouse 25 tons.
“Propulsion : steam engine with 2 cylinder of 41 & 73 inches diameter
“respectively, stroke 39 inches , 427 horsepower, engine by North East
“Marine Engine.

If I receive a positive confirmation on your part , I will follow by begging
all of my friends who are modellists, to create a working plan for a model on the scale 1/95, that can be constructed in my own laboratory.
Regards and thanks in advance. Piero Casiglia

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/data/509/544navefloriopiccola.jpg

danube4
15th November 2005, 17:31
Piero. Sorry I can not help you In your search for Solunto. Wish I could. good luck. Barney.

michael james
15th November 2005, 18:56
Piero,
Sorry but I have been unable to find anything relating to your ss Solunto, if something crops up I will let you know. Good luck. MikeJ

Bruce Carson
15th November 2005, 20:26
Hi Piero:
I dug out "Passenger Liners of the Past & Present" By Eugene W. Smith (Boston, 1963).
There is a small amount of information on the 'Solunto' under the ownership of I & V Florio.
Smith describes the ship as having "Two masts and one funnel" and your information from the UK Naval Registry uses the term "Brigantine". The painting is of a three masted ship, barque rigged, which does not conform to the above two descriptions.
Smith gives the tonnage as 1,933.
There is also the following paragraph:
"Note: vessel made an experimental Atlantic crossing with 23 passengers in June 1877.
Began regular service for the line in 1880. Service: Palermo-New York."
Not much, I know, but I thought I'd post it.

Bruce C.

Piero Casiglia
24th January 2006, 10:19
Dear Bruce, please see my message in Forum/Historic shipping. Much appreciated any observation ,best regards, piero casiglia

Piero Casiglia
24th January 2006, 10:23
According this book:

Ciao
Piero DM
Dear Piero, please see message in FORUN/Historic shipping. Much appreciated eny obseravation.
Best regards, Piero Casiglia.

thunderd
24th January 2006, 10:24
Oh dear he's off again.

Piero Casiglia
24th January 2006, 10:28
According this book:

Ciao
Piero DM
Dear Piero, please see message in FORUN/Historic shipping. Much appreciated any obseravation.
Best regards, Piero Casiglia.