apprentices with reardon smith

jlmart
3rd February 2010, 20:51
I was wondering if there is anyone out there who served with reardon smith s.c.as apprentices(cheap labour) during the period 1955 t0 1959 & specifically on Cornish City,Madras City,& Fresno City.
R.S.C. did use the apprentices as cheap labour & never gave you any proper training, I still enjoyed my time with them even though it was far harder to get your 2nd Mates certificate at the end of your apprenticeship.

eriskay
3rd February 2010, 21:25
I worked on several of Reardon Smith's ships when they were in for annual overhaul/survey in Elderslie Drydocks and was always impressed on how well kept their ships seemed to be - down below. So much so that I wrote to the Company (and spoke with their Shore Super) to see if they would take me at the beginning of the 5th Year of my apprenticeship.

The response was that they would take me if I was really determined to go to sea, but they strongly advised against it and encouraged me to see my time out in the Yard as in their view that would serve me better, then speak with them once my time was out. It therefore surprises me that you considered them not the best when it came to apprentices as I got the impression they had the apprentices' best interests at heart based on my personal experience.

billyboy
3rd February 2010, 21:57
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to offer

K urgess
3rd February 2010, 22:51
A belated welcome aboard from northern England.
You seem to have found your way around and got to know the crew.
Enjoy the rest of the trip.