Furness Withy Lines

brian seward
6th February 2010, 06:30
I sailed on the Pacific NorthWest in 1954-5, But what I want to find out is Which Pacific ***** ship ran aground just north of San Franccisco in 53 or?

billyboy
6th February 2010, 07:45
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to offer

non descript
6th February 2010, 08:22
Brian, Firstly a warm welcome to you, thank you for joining and do enjoy SN and all it has to offer; now, as for that ‘other company’ to which you refer, I have to confess that I know next to nothing about them, but I suspect the ship you are after is one of these six:
Pacific Fortune
Pacific Unity
Pacific Reliance
Pacific Northwest
Pacific Envoy
Pacific Stronghold

As far as I know all of them ended their days in the breaker’s yard and it is interesting to see the buyer of that first one… clearly he liked the ship so much he bought the company. (Jester) .. Did TBFW put her aground in a spectacular fashion, or was it just normal (by their standards)

K urgess
6th February 2010, 12:16
Welcome aboard from northern England, Brian.
Find your way around and get to know the crew.
Have a good voyage.

R58484956
6th February 2010, 14:41
Greetingsa Brian and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

benjidog
6th February 2010, 16:24
Welcome from Lancashire - I hope you will enjoy the site.

Trader
6th February 2010, 18:14
I cannot help you there Brian but I sailed with an AB who was on her. Danny Iremonger, I was with him in Manchester Liners.
Welcome to the site.
Alec.

brian seward
9th February 2010, 03:59
trying to find my way around these threads, So if you see this question somewhere else forgive me,
trying to find out the name of the Pacific ship that went aground just north of San Francisco in 1954 or so Could be the Reliance or Envoy or??? I sailed on the Pacific NorthWest. paid off Vancouver 1955.

non descript
9th February 2010, 07:18
Brian, as you have maybe not seen the six replies you got to your original request, we have merged your second request with that thread and its associated replies.

bert thompson
9th February 2010, 09:14
Welcome Brian to this great site
Best wishes
Bert.

GWB
9th February 2010, 09:42
Welcome aboard Brian from Brisbane in Oz enjoy the trip.

brian seward
10th February 2010, 01:47
I was looking through my discharge book and seeing all the ships I had been on, When I left Vindicatrix I joined the T124T serving on D S Rescue Tugs "Jaunty" and Assiduous" Sfterthat my first Merchant ship was the :Fort Ash: to B Aires bringing back thousands ofAnimal pelts. Boy did the ship ever smell when we reached Liverpool. Got to sail on Trampship from Shaw Saville "Gothic" to Tankers and One owner ships that you never knew where your next port was. I did 10 years all told and went everywhere even behind the iron curtain China Russia Rumania which was a story in its self. I even got a UN Korea Medal!
Thanks for your welcomes.

liverbob
10th February 2010, 03:12
hi brian,the ship that went aground was the pacific liberty,i no becuase iwas a
catering boy on that trip.
we went aground at the entrance of coos bay and alot of us were a mite worried as it was a liberty ship and we heard about a few of them spitting in half forward of the bridge.
after we were pulled off by the tugs we docked the next day and the news
people were all over the place.
after we left coos bay we went up the coast to all the usuall ports in the pacific coast and canada.
on the way home we had a three week stay in cristobel the USA navel dock yard,some damage from the grounding.
altogether it was a 6 month trip,from the 20-11-53 to9-5-54
there is agood photo of the pacific liberty on this site,it is very rare as the ship got sold shortly after i was on her.

non descript
10th February 2010, 07:51
Bob, well done for that one - as you say, the picture of Pacific Liberty (http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=177847)is very rare.

backsplice
12th February 2010, 04:01
these "Pacific " boats my pal did a couple of trips on the "UNITY"around 56/57 has anybody noticed that all the sisters spell F U R N E S there should be another starting with S just a small piece of nautical trivia ......Backsplice

non descript
12th February 2010, 10:21
these "Pacific " boats my pal did a couple of trips on the "UNITY"around 56/57 has anybody noticed that all the sisters spell F U R N E S there should be another starting with S just a small piece of nautical trivia ......Backsplice

Yes, a missing "S" was always an odd one... Being well brought up and not given to unkind comments, I will moderate my comments and merely suggest that at least HOULDER BROTHERS who invented the scheme of naming their ships after the initial letters of the Company, did manage to be able to spell… (Some folk in the ‘senior service’ suggest that TBFW tried to copy, but ran aground on the reef of misspelling… (Jester) )

Allan Wareing
13th February 2010, 08:59
Hi,all. Them Pacific boats.
I sailed as A/B in the Pacific Exporter in 1947/48 when Furness Withy was considered a reputable company but looking at comments on this site it seems they fell upon hard times.
We sailed from Manchester for the West coast of the States and Canada loading bananas in Guyaquil on the way and discharged in San Francisco,Seattle and Vancouver. Then loaded sawn timber in Chemanus and Nanaimo on Vancouver Island for the trip home. As I recall she was a happy ship and a good feeder, would have stayed for another trip but I left to sit for 2nd Mates Ticket. (Which I got )
Just an old fart going back down memory lane! Regards Allan

TOM ALEXANDER
8th March 2010, 00:30
Pacific Northwest was my first ship - joined her as an apprentice in Salford Docks in 1956, and spent 2 years on her. It's my understanding that the last "S" in "Furness" wasn't built because of the general slowing of trade with the competition from foreign flagged vessels, although there had been plans afoot to build with even a name having been chosen. Can't for the life of me remembere what it was though. Anyone else know? The "Northwest" always seemed to have a full cargo, both ways, when I was on her.

Cheers,

Tom.