Royston grange 1972

shelagh
7th February 2010, 13:38
My husband alastair Macdonald was lost at sea with all hands on 11th may 1972 on Royston grange I wondered if there is any one out there who remembers him he was in the mercahnt navy from about 1948

K urgess
7th February 2010, 13:48
Welcome aboard from East Yorkshire, Shelagh.
I'm sure there are several who will remember your late husband. If you search the forums you will find numerous mentions of the Royston Grange. An event we all remember with sorrow.
Find your way around and get to know the crew.
Have a good voyage.

fred henderson
7th February 2010, 14:49
A warm welcome Shelagh. There are a lot of Houlder Brothers people on the site and I am sure some will remember your late husband, as we all remember the tragic event.

Fred (Thumb)

MARINEJOCKY
7th February 2010, 14:51
Hi Shelagh,

Those of us who worked for Houlders before or after the 11th of May 1972 will never forget and although some of us may never have met your husband his memory and those of all of the others lost that day will forever be with us.

There are numerous threads on this site all about Houlders and their ships and obviously including the Royston. If you do a search you will find them that way or if you click down the forum page you will find the different shipping companies and Houlders is right in there. Maybe a better computer expert or a moderator can give you a link to the site.

Hope you enjoy the site and there are many Houlders guys on here.

R58484956
7th February 2010, 15:08
Greetings Shelagh and a warm welcome to SN. As already written plenty of ex Houlders men on board. Bon voyage.

non descript
7th February 2010, 17:52
Shelagh,
Firstly a very warm welcome to you; whilst I am very sorry that it is a tragedy that brings you to the SN Site, I do hope that the warmth, comfort and support that you will find on here, goes in some small way to counter the dreadful loss; a loss that many of us on here share in our different ways, but all through a common bond do most definitely understand, even if we cannot forget the dreadful events of the night of the 11th May 1972.

There are numerous threads on this ship and many valuable postings, which hopefully you may find of some interest; equally hopefully there may well be folk on SN who met and will be able to recall your late husband and to this end, if it helps, there were two seamen by the name McDonald who were lost in the tragedy:
Alexander MacDonald, Able Seaman
Eugene MacDonald, Able Seaman

If my logic is correct, your late husband is the latter and some may remember him with that name?
(Thumb)
Mark

vasco
7th February 2010, 18:41
her, though I cannot remember either MacDonald I am sorry to say..

As previously mentioned there are other threads, if you click here http://picasaweb.google.com/v3asco/R...eNewsCuttings#
there are some newspaper cuttings about the incident.

Vasco

billyboy
7th February 2010, 22:30
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to offer

benjidog
8th February 2010, 00:42
Welcome from Lancashire - I hope you will enjoy the site.