Chippy Fleetbank 1960

kwg
10th February 2010, 13:01
When I joined the Fleetbank 1st trip App, the very ancient Chippy was a Mr Wong Sum Hok, god knows how long he had been aboard, The poor devil had a Communist Passport and had problems getting back to China also the Fleetbank on the copra trade never went near the place. His wife and family were still in China and he hadn't seen them for years. Every time the ship went to the USA an armed guard was on-board to make sure the chippy didn't go ashore or abscond, poor old bu***r must have been well into his 70's. We Apps spent a lot of time working with old Wong Sum.

4 or 5 years later I joined the Fleetbank as 3M and who was there, sat on #1 repairing hatch boards but Wong Sum Hok.

Don't know if he ever made it back home, someone here might know...

jimthehat
10th February 2010, 14:16
When I joined the Fleetbank 1st trip App, the very ancient Chippy was a Mr Wong Sum Hok, god knows how long he had been aboard, The poor devil had a Communist Passport and had problems getting back to China also the Fleetbank on the copra trade never went near the place. His wife and family were still in China and he hadn't seen them for years. Every time the ship went to the USA an armed guard was on-board to make sure the chippy didn't go ashore or abscond, poor old bu***r must have been well into his 70's. We Apps spent a lot of time working with old Wong Sum.

4 or 5 years later I joined the Fleetbank as 3M and who was there, sat on #1 repairing hatch boards but Wong Sum Hok.

When i read this piece,i thought ,i have sailed on the Fleetbank,sure enough i checked joined her on 10/5/59 in calcutta and left on the 13/6/59 in birkenhead,NOW why would a bank boat be going from calcutta to birkenhead??

jim

kwg
10th February 2010, 14:39
Sorry Jim should have said I joined Fleetbank Early 1960, Liverpool / Port Sunlight

McMorine
10th February 2010, 16:01
Sorry Jim should have said I joined Fleetbank Early 1960, Liverpool / Port Sunlight

That would have been Bromborough Dock, discharging for Lever Bros (Port Sunlight) I was relieving on the Fleetbank, May/June 1964, joined in Birkenhead and signed off in London (Poplar) Can't remember any Chinese Chippy in particular, all the chippies seemed to be quite ancient. Only sailed with one youngish guy, that was on the Beechbank in '66. Bromborough Dock no longer exists, all filled in.

Johnnietwocoats
10th February 2010, 18:20

I was Senior Apprentice on the Fleetbank all of 62......I can check when I get home as I am in the States at the moment as to my exact dates. I do remember that Howe was the Master. I think I remember an older Chippy. As Senior Apprentice I would have been in close contact with him.....
TC

jimthehat
10th February 2010, 20:45
When I joined the Fleetbank in calcutta for the months trip home to Birkenhead i was signed on as supernumerary 3/0 as i had just finished 2 years as 3/0 on the isipingo.master of the Fleetbank was TS Robertson,still cant remember what the cargo would have been ,unless it was a charter.

jim

Alan Rawlinson
11th February 2010, 08:56
Some of the Chinese Chippies could make excellent cigarette boxes, trick boxes with hidden openings etc, not to mention ' rude ' ciggy dispensers....
Can recall seeing a box produced by the chippy where the join was extremely fine. Could'nt have been dunnage, that one.

Then there was the weird pills and potions, and the drying fish blowing up on the poop.... Ah, the memories...!

Joe C
12th February 2010, 11:22
Some of the Chinese Chippies could make excellent cigarette boxes, trick boxes with hidden openings etc, not to mention ' rude ' ciggy dispensers....
Can recall seeing a box produced by the chippy where the join was extremely fine. Could'nt have been dunnage, that one.

Then there was the weird pills and potions, and the drying fish blowing up on the poop.... Ah, the memories...!

Their skills with wood (and cement) were fantastic but you always stood well clear of their tool box if you were in the lower hold and they had tied the hitch on it to send it down.One Chippy I sailed with on a dry ship would always manage to find a nip of scotch if we had been doing a particularly mankey job.He would always offer us some of his home cured sausage (no innuendo intended)The sausages used to hang around his cabin and looked like old tights stuffed with miscellaneous dubious lumpy things that bulged out like bad varicous veins.Tasted good though!

Joe C
20th February 2010, 15:52
Their skills with wood (and cement) were fantastic but you always stood well clear of their tool box if you were in the lower hold and they had tied the hitch on it to send it down.One Chippy I sailed with on a dry ship would always manage to find a nip of scotch if we had been doing a particularly mankey job.He would always offer us some of his home cured sausage (no innuendo intended)The sausages used to hang around his cabin and looked like old tights stuffed with miscellaneous dubious lumpy things that bulged out like bad varicous veins.Tasted good though!

I recall ariving in New Orleans in the U S of A and having a Pinkerton Agent patrolling the gangway because our four foot nine carpenter had a Communist passport and was a threat to the world.Neurotic or what! Has their attitude changed?

Joe C
26th February 2010, 19:05
A response to your requests for photographs.
Chippy and apprentices c1957, Irisbank, note the spotless boiler suit worn by chippy and the sulphur splattered apprentices.

rcraig
26th February 2010, 23:35
Ah, the sartorial elegance!