Alledged accident at lifeboat drill on Arcadia.

ian keyl
10th February 2010, 15:27
I remember my uncle harry who was all tears telling me about an accident whilst at sea on the Arcadia . He told me that he was bosun at the time when they were told to lower a boat with a crash crew on board . He made his feelings about this and the dangerous swell but was over rulled .
Iam not sure as to my recollections but i thought he had saidthe boat was lowered and was caught by the crest of a wave in the heavy swell.
there may have been sailers injured but Iam not sure.
Does anyone remember this incident this may have been in the sixties possible pacific or indian ocean.

Rgds ian.

Pompeyfan
11th February 2010, 00:58
I remember my uncle harry who was all tears telling me about an accident whilst at sea on the Arcadia . He told me that he was bosun at the time when they were told to lower a boat with a crash crew on board . He made his feelings about this and the dangerous swell but was over rulled .
Iam not sure as to my recollections but i thought he had saidthe boat was lowered and was caught by the crest of a wave in the heavy swell.
there may have been sailers injured but Iam not sure.
Does anyone remember this incident this may have been in the sixties possible pacific or indian ocean.

Rgds ian.

I don't recall hearing about this, but it was not during my time aboard Arcadia. We often lowered the lifeboats including the accident boat which you could be referring to.

David

Bill Miller
1st March 2010, 16:57
In 1955 we lossed a man overboard. The Arcadia was in the Australian Bight and boat drill was in progress, the boats were lowered a short distance and when they were being brought up one jammed. The bosun climbed up and kicked the boat free but it jammed again and he went back up to free it. He slipped and fell into the water, I still remember seeing him in the water with his hands up. When the rescue boat was lowered it almost flipped, I believe no one was injured. The bosun was not found his hat was, he was wearing a duffle coat and he had taken off his lifejacket. I was an elevator boy and I was told to take the elevator to the boat deck and stay there until he was found. The bosun I was told later was torpedo twice during the war. Bill Miller