Catherine Ethel

Weyport
11th February 2010, 09:28
On 6th December 1951 the sand dredger CATHERINE ETHEL burst through the inner lock gates on the Glamorgan Canal destroying the gates and emptying the canal......does anybody know anything about the Catherine Ethel herself, where she dredged and exactly where along the Glamorgan Canal she discharged her cargo?....were there perhaps other dredgers also running to the canal?.........thanks in anticipation. Paul

Billieboy
11th February 2010, 11:19
I remember it well, caused quite a stink! I was about 11 at the time and later, aged 16 I went to work on Cardiff docks, There was a swing bridge across the canal near James street station,(a hundred yards up from the pool), the bridge was supplied from the Docks Hydraulic main. I had to go over to the bridge with my fitter and his mate and remove one of the control valves. The was no water, or ships in sight!

roverj
2nd August 2014, 14:39
Catherine Ethel dredged at the flatholme in the Bristol channel discherged just before James St bridge I think for sessions I lived at 12 harrowby St next to where the sand dredgers discherged