Wakie wakie rise and shine the Ben Line .

ian keyl
18th February 2010, 18:11
Come on you William Thomson's navy men. Where are you all hibenating for the winter or have you cut off power in your homes to save electricity, its time we had some more tales of the sea out of you salts.

Benships were never lacking in rumour tales or just pure speculation so lets have a revivale of storeis we are lagging behind all our comrades. What ever it might be any tale or story on what ever ship or person you sailed with ,it must be pure NOSTALGIA,So smoko is over lets be having you as all the famous would say the Broon, Willie Daneils ,Willie MacGregor, Davey Drummond, Charlie Sedgewick, the Beast and all the other great and respected men who spurred us on.
Kong ye fat choi.
Rgds Ian.

George Elder
22nd February 2010, 05:56
We are all Shy.

spongebob
22nd February 2010, 07:39
While all you Ben line men are aroused from your slumber by Ian's call can I ask if any of you ever sailed with an engineer from Dunedin NZ called Jim Donn.
He went from NZ Shipping co to Ben line for a few years in the early 50's to get his steam time in and I recall that he had many tales to tell about his time on those ships.
Jim and I were mates and worked together for 30 odd years once ashore but sadly he has passed on now.

Bob

ian keyl
22nd February 2010, 15:04
HI George,
Well some of the ben line srewards (chinese) used to put a fried on top of thier porridge so maybe its better than the face.
George did you ever sail with my cousin ,he was from Aberdeen David Maxwell ,he was a steam man and had been with Broocks then Orient line and P&O before he came to Ben.he laterly went on the supply vessels then packed up.

Your name sound familier ,I did sail with a Tam Elder(or was it Eddie) from way up north he was an AB and permantly on the coast (i think due to his war injuries) Great guy always one jump ahead because they knew the routine inside out.

Thanks for the reply any tales to tell.
Rgds Ian.

George Elder
26th February 2010, 05:13
Ian
If you go into my profile, My Gallery I have a few Photo's that I entered in Tue, 18 September 07, You may reconised some faces.
Ihave never been very good at remembering names but a face I never forget.

EBenarty
26th February 2010, 21:21
HI George,
Well some of the ben line srewards (chinese) used to put a fried on top of thier porridge so maybe its better than the face.
George did you ever sail with my cousin ,he was from Aberdeen David Maxwell ,he was a steam man and had been with Broocks then Orient line and P&O before he came to Ben.he laterly went on the supply vessels then packed up.

Your name sound familier ,I did sail with a Tam Elder(or was it Eddie) from way up north he was an AB and permantly on the coast (i think due to his war injuries) Great guy always one jump ahead because they knew the routine inside out.

Rgds Ian.

Ian.
Fine I remember the Chinese stewards putting fried eggs on their porridge also raw eggs !!
Did you ever come across the Chief Electrician Iain MacIntosh from Buckie he was on the Nevis for a very many years and the Supers would not give him another ship because he knew the winches so well, Eventually he went to the Loyal with Mc Gill and got on well with himl. Also on the Nevis was his pal Jimmy Grey who I heard committed suicide ???

Derek Dunn
27th February 2010, 21:27
Ian.
Fine I remember the Chinese stewards putting fried eggs on their porridge also raw eggs !!
Did you ever come across the Chief Electrician Iain MacIntosh from Buckie he was on the Nevis for a very many years and the Supers would not give him another ship because he knew the winches so well, Eventually he went to the Loyal with Mc Gill and got on well with himl. Also on the Nevis was his pal Jimmy Grey who I heard committed suicide ???

Good evening, I sailed with Ian Macintosh on the 'Attow around 1976, I think.
Ian had a very unusual habit of appearing in the engineroom about 10 p.m. to check round the electric motors. He certainly was a wizard with the old d.c. winch motors. I remember Ian telling me about the time he went down to engineroom on the Ben Loyal in heavy weather and saw the 4th and his junior "sledging" across in front of the boilers. The engineers sat on a bag at one side of the engine-room and when she rolled the donkeyman gave them a push. Maybe somebody reading this was that man???
Derek.

olac
7th March 2010, 19:50
Come on you William Thomson's navy men. Where are you all hibenating for the winter or have you cut off power in your homes to save electricity, its time we had some more tales of the sea out of you salts.

Benships were never lacking in rumour tales or just pure speculation so lets have a revivale of storeis we are lagging behind all our comrades. What ever it might be any tale or story on what ever ship or person you sailed with ,it must be pure NOSTALGIA,So smoko is over lets be having you as all the famous would say the Broon, Willie Daneils ,Willie MacGregor, Davey Drummond, Charlie Sedgewick, the Beast and all the other great and respected men who spurred us on.
Kong ye fat choi.
Rgds Ian.

hi i am new to this but my dad sailed on ben boats .i have a photo of him on the bennevis. no date. his name tommy bannan .sailed out of leith somtimes. would love to hear from anyone who knew him .thank you.

Derek Dunn
23rd March 2010, 01:03
Hi Guys, I want to fling in a couple of names from the past. Stuart Russell and "Spud" Henderson, both engineers who sailed in the 1970's. Anyone remember them?

Ali Bain
23rd March 2010, 08:37
Derek,
Voyaged with Stuart on the 'Lomond in the early seventies and he was a good friend and engineer but have not heard of him since leaving Benline. Think he was from around about Airdrie, remember having some great nights with him and his friends in Glasgow when we were bearthed at Grangemouth. One of his mates owned a pub I think, it was a long time ago.
Regards-Ali. Bain.

tam fairweather
27th March 2010, 02:58
Ali, Stuart is working as control room operator on the Stena Clyde in Australia,he now lives in Spain ,near Alicante i think.
Cheers
Tam Fairweather

Ali Bain
27th March 2010, 08:13
Thanks for that Tam. I found a mention of him on the Merchant navy site the other day along with Tony Whitehead who I think is his O.I.M. Have just posted a photo with Tony doing his engineroom time on the Lomond many years ago, so it obviously did him some good :-) Hope you are well, was having a beer with Mike Young last time home, he was asking for you.
Regards-Ali. Bain.

DRT
28th March 2010, 08:55
Derek,
Voyaged with Stuart on the 'Lomond in the early seventies and he was a good friend and engineer but have not heard of him since leaving Benline. Think he was from around about Airdrie, remember having some great nights with him and his friends in Glasgow when we were bearthed at Grangemouth. One of his mates owned a pub I think, it was a long time ago.
Regards-Ali. Bain.

Did a coast on the Bendearg with Stuart and was on the Atlatic II (Bendoran with him, always a great train ride out of Aberdeen after crew change with him.
Have bumped into him about once evry ten years either on a flight to the Far East or in KLM business lounge in Schipol, as ever entertaining!!

He must like many of us due to retire!

Iain

Ali Bain
28th March 2010, 10:10
Thanks for the update Iain, yes as you say very good company. He also had a helluva memory for phone numbers as I found out to my cost a couple of times after a good run ashore. We had a very good bunch on the 'lomond around that time, happy days.
Regards-Ali. Bain.

john fraser
28th March 2010, 19:52
Ali, Stuart is working as control room operator on the Stena Clyde in Australia,he now lives in Spain ,near Alicante i think.
Cheers
Tam Fairweather
Tam.
Stuarts claim to fame was that Don Revie was his uncle.I was on the Gloe with both Stuart and yourself,Rab Traill was C/E. You still got your fancy jacket?

tam fairweather
30th March 2010, 16:58
Hi John, i gave up the fancy jacket when folk were thinking i was the only gay in the village.(*))

Paul Barford
8th May 2010, 03:35
(Hippy) Always thought YOU WERE the only gay in the village Tam !

All the best, Paul

I know the comments a bit late, but just signed off in Incheon and sat in the hotel waiting to fly home. Incheon is not what it was....................

tam fairweather
10th May 2010, 05:27
Paul,
Al scratch your eyes out if you say that again.
Enjoy your long flight home and your leave
Cheers

Tam
(Thumb)

Waighty
1st June 2011, 18:38
HI George,

Rgds Ian.

Jimmy Anggang used to like smoked haddock mixed in with his porridge sometimes; I tried it once and it wasn't too bad. I was always puzzled by the poached egg on top of a plate of minced collops! I do remember on Benvannoch a 3rd Engr from Aberdeen (Pat something, may have been MacFadyen) who after a marathon swally session to celebrate his birthday just toppled into the collops when he sat down in the saloon - egg and collops everywhere. Not too badly burned either.

petemac46
2nd June 2011, 11:34
Always remember Jimmy Anggang used to have porrige and fried egg for breakfast on the Benvannoch----never forget that!!

John Retired
23rd June 2011, 00:22
One of the lads on the Benvenue (1964) Jimmy Dalzeil (not sure of the spelling)
came from Shetland at the end of the trip gave his teeth a scrub with VIM & the were not false teeth

John (Ginger)

Paul Barford
21st August 2011, 20:11
Talking of eggs, always remember in the 'Saloon' being told "Two eggs? no bacon!" Over eating was never a problem as I recall!!

Ben Boat Jim
27th September 2011, 23:43
Remember an old adage that came from Chief Stewards on "rough feeders"....."One egg per man, per week, PERHAPS.

Never had those problems on Willie Tamsons navy they were all good feeders.
Jim Morrison ex Ben Line 1956.