Captain Stanley Algar of Shell

Philip Algar
22nd February 2010, 16:32
My name is Philip Algar and my father was Captain Stanley Algar. He worked for Shell, was a POW with the Germans during the war and retired as a senior master in 1954. I know that is a long time ago but if anyone has any recollections of him, direct or indirect, I would be delighted to hear. Philip Algar

R58484956
22nd February 2010, 17:39
Greetings Philip and welcome to SN on your first posting. Good luck with your search. Plenty of ex Shell lads on board. Bon voyage.

K urgess
22nd February 2010, 18:43
Welcome aboard from East Yorkshire, Philip.
Find your way around and get to know the crew.
Have a good voyage.

billyboy
22nd February 2010, 22:22
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to offer

Hugh MacLean
22nd February 2010, 23:04
Hello and welcome Philip.
Your father's PoW number was 100040. He was held at Milag Nord Merchant Navy PoW camp at Westertimke, Germany. He was the master of AGNITA belonging to the Anglo Saxon Petroleum Co which was sunk by the German raider Kormoran on 22 March 1941. The crew of 38 became prisoners.

Regards

benjidog
22nd February 2010, 23:15
Welcome from Lancashire - I hope you will enjoy the site.

KEITH SEVILLE
23rd February 2010, 16:28
Warm welcome Philip from Merseyside. I was interested to hear about your father as I came into contact with many Shell Masters.
A bit before my time, as I got to know them from the sixties onwards.

Best Regards
Keith

Philip Algar
2nd March 2010, 11:03
Hugh, Many thanks for the message. My book, Goodbye Old Chap, A life at sea in peace and war, ISBN number 978-1-907219-04-7 traces my father's life at sea from WW1 through WW2when, as you say, he was a POW having been captured in the South Atlantic. I have undertaken a huge amount of research to provide background to the book and have used my father's diaries, kept hidden from the Germans, during the war. Are you a keen historian or, as a very young man, did you know my father? Thanks for contacting me. Best wishes Philip Algar on philipalgar@btinternet.com

Philip Algar
2nd March 2010, 11:11
Hello Keith,

Thanks for the message. My book, Goodbye Old Chap, a life at sea in peace and war, ISBN number 978-1-907219-04-7 tells the story about my father's career which commenced in WW1 and I trace his life through WW2 when, as master of the "Agnita" a Shell tanker, he was captured in the South Atlantic. Whilst a POW, he kep diaries, hidden from the Germans and I have used these to tell his story. I have also added much background to help the reader understand the day to day conditions, on land and at sea. My father's last commands were the Caprinus, Velutina and Verena. You may just recall them? Thanks for contacting me. Best wishes, Philip Algar

Philip Algar
2nd March 2010, 11:21
Many thanks for the message. I have now written a book about my father's life and times, Goodbye old chap, a life at sea in peace and war, ISBN 978-1-907219-04-7. In WW1 my father was torpedoed, mined and his vessel sank under him after a collision. In 1941, when master of the Shell tanker Agnita, he was captured in the South Atlantic and spent the rest of the war in a POW camp in Germany. Whilst there, he kept day to day diaries and I have used these, backed by substantial research, to tell his story. Fortunately, the earliest diary I have was for 1912 and this, as well as other sources, painted an intriguing picture of life all those years ago. Best wishes, Philip Algar

Steve
2nd March 2010, 12:06
Philip I'm wondering have you by any chance written a book? only you don't seem to have mentioned it anywhere.