Bristol Steamship Co

Tommy Tucker
23rd February 2010, 14:03
I am trying to find out some information about the SS Capito, 1000 tons, belonging to the Bristol Steamship Co which ran aground on Hare Island in Galway Bay in 1941. I believe my father was onboard at the time being in the DEMS section of the RN. My father's name was James (Bill) Tucker.
Thanks
Tommy Tucker

R58484956
23rd February 2010, 15:13
Greetings Tommy and a warm welcome to SN from the south of England. Bon voyage.

K urgess
23rd February 2010, 17:05
Welcome aboard from East Yorkshire, Tommy.

CAPITO - Built as PORTLAND HOUSE in 1918 - changed to ARDGARROCH in 1920 and then to CAPITO in 1937. Changed again to NEREE in 1950 before being broken up at Grays, Essex, in November 1952.

Find your way around and get to know the crew.
Have a good voyage.

billyboy
23rd February 2010, 21:15
Welcome aboard from the Philippines, Enjoy all this great site has to offer

bert thompson
24th February 2010, 09:26
Welcome to this great site and pleased to see that you are getting the information you seek
Best wishes
Bert.

Tommy Tucker
25th February 2010, 11:28
Many thanks for your warm welcome and the info on SS Capito. I have in my possession several newspaper cuttings, I believe from the Galway Tribune which mention the Capito dragging her anchor and running aground on Hare Island. The Captain at the time was Captain E. Moodie a native of Bristol and the First Mate was Mr Harry Tucker, no relation to me to my knowledge.
I understand that the Capito was carrying a cargo of sulphur ammonia, and fortunately none of her sixteen man crew were hurt in the incident.
I would value any suggestions as to how I might be able to confirm that my father James (Bill) Tucker was a member of the crew at the time.
Yours aye
Tommy Tucker

K urgess
25th February 2010, 11:39
The crew list for that period are probably at the National Archives, Kew.
This is probably the best page to start.
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/looking-for-person/merchantseamanafter1917.htm?WT.lp=rg-3193
I can't find the year in question at the Canadian archive.
The official number of the CAPITO was 142743.
Cheers
Kris