Hello from Kota Kinabalu Borneo

landoburns
26th February 2010, 10:41
My first post but I recognize the names of quite a few members - I've even found my photo in some galleries. Fortunately I look quite sober in them - how did that happen then? A brief history :

Born Irvine Ayrshire 1st/Cl PMG Cert from Watt Memorial Greenock 1961 then hired by IMR joined RMS Media in L'Pool as 3rd R/O. Spent 2 yrs under red duster (Lancastrian Prince, Essex Trader & Brasil Star) then went foreign flag, first with Norwegians then Greeks. Joined National Bulk Carriers/Universe Tankers (Ludwig) in 1967. Spent about 10 years on offshore drillships (Discoverer III, Discoverer 511) living in Singapore until 1980. Went back to sea with AMPTC (Arab Maritime Petroleum Transport Co) on tankers & LPG carriers. Tanker fleet laid up, joined NSCSA (National Shipping Co of Saudi Arabia) newbuilding RO-RO Saudi Hofuf in Malmo, later on Saudi Makkah. Mid 80's resident UAE worked on salvage tugs Imsalv Lion & Imsalv Tiger in The Gulf during Iran-Iraq War, took part in 25 salvages, fi-fi, dodging missiles and avoiding boghammar 'small boats' armed with RPG's. After war joined Transocean Maritime Agencies (Monte Carlo) on bulkers for a quieter life (?). Ended up installing the GMDSS equipment on their ships until retired and moved to Kota Kinabalu, Malaysian Borneo.

Look forward to participating more in future - Cheers - (Pint) John Plenderleith

bert thompson
26th February 2010, 10:53
Welcome John. What an interesting introduction. Sure you will enjoy this great site
Best wishes
Bert.

billyboy
26th February 2010, 11:02
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to offer

R58484956
26th February 2010, 15:41
Greetings John and welcome to SN on your first interesting posting. Bon voyage.

borderreiver
26th February 2010, 17:55
Great place you live in
have you found Charlie yet local pilot who runs a small diving ship

benjidog
26th February 2010, 17:55
Welcome from Lancashire - I hope you will enjoy the site.

K urgess
26th February 2010, 19:19
Welcome aboard from East Yorkshire, John.
Plenty of us sparkies about the ship.
Find your way around and get to know the crew.
Have a good voyage.

landoburns
27th February 2010, 08:17
Great place you live in
have you found Charlie yet local pilot who runs a small diving ship

Yes, Charlie is now in the restaurant business. He had a restaurant called Charles Place which has recently moved into a new development in Kota Kinabalu called Jesselton Point. The main port has been moved from near the city centre to Sepanggar which is some way to the north of the city. The old port is now being transformed with apartments, hotels, shopping malls and leisure areas being developed. Small boats and ferries for the nearby islands still leave from a new terminal at Jesselton Point. If you are interested see : http://www.malaysiahotelreview.com/sabah/destination/jesselton-point.shtml

borderreiver
27th February 2010, 09:11
many thanks
If you see Charlie please give him my regds
ex Captain of the Silver Pride
Chris James

Nigel Wing
22nd March 2010, 23:08
Hello John, so that's where you are, I will be in touch.
Cheers
Nigel.