Ss Alavi

maximus
1st March 2010, 11:18
Hello
I would like to know more about this steamship.
At the moment I have this information:

Alavi
Bombay & Persia Steam Navigation Co. ; 1893; Tyne iron Shipbuilding Co. ; 3627 tons; 335X43X27; 280 n.h.p.; 8.5 knots; triple-expansion engines.
The steamship Alavi was intercepted by a german submarine six miles N.E. of Cape Palos, near Cartagena, on October 19th, 1917.
The submarine opened fire from the surface and sank the vessel with shells.
Thirteen men were killed. The captain was among the survivors.

Thanks for your help

Maximus

ted nutt
1st March 2010, 16:33
Maximus,afternoon built for Red"R"S.S. Co Ltd(Stephen&Mawson)Newcastle as William Storrs O.N.101823 Yard#98
1901 same owners (Stephens,Sutton&Stephensmgrs)
1906 Sold to Bombay&Persia Steam Navigation Co Ltd Bombay Re Alavi
13/10/1917 Shelled and sunk byU 35,6mls NE of Cape Palos o.v Genoa-Carthagena,ballast. Ted

kiwiguide
20th May 2012, 13:04
My father served as an engineer on the SS Alavi during the second world war. I have a photo of the ship plus one taken of him with some of the crew members

kaycher diving
20th May 2013, 19:14
My father served as an engineer on the SS Alavi during the second world war. I have a photo of the ship plus one taken of him with some of the crew members

Hi Kiwiguide this is a shipwreck that i'm looking for at the moment, I have found the other three ships that where sunk by the same Sub on the same day if you have any photos that may be of great help to me and i'll keep you informed if we find anything

Stuart