Magazine Photos

Ron Stringer
23rd October 2005, 17:44
I have a heap of Marconi Marine house magazines (the 'Mariner'), some dating from 1948. They contain a large number of photos of ships and ship radio rooms; most of the older photos are of fairly dodgy quality but latterly they improved. Each issue from around the late 1950s contained a section reporting vessels that had been fitted with Marconi equipment in the previous 3 months or so; each of the reports was accompanied by an external photo of the ship. The majority of the photos were provided by the shipyard and so would remain subject to their copyright; a few were from Skyfotos or similar organisations.

A couple of years ago I scanned all these photos into my PC, which subsequently suffered a hard drive crash and everything was lost. The replacement PC has the ability to burn CDs and DVDs so I was thinking about repeating the (very lengthy) exercise of scanning them all in again, this time saving them to CD/DVD.

If I did so, would any of them be of interest to this site, or would there be copyright problems?

If I were to go ahead, the results would be dribbled onto the site, I wouldn't expect to have scanned them all for several months.

I certainly don't want to cause the site and its owners any legal problems. Could someone give me a decision?

Ron Stringer

Fairfield
23rd October 2005, 21:43
This subject has produced a great deal of comment and if you look in the Members' Notice Board you can read all that/s been said. Having said that there are many photos on the site which obviously have come from magazines and books;I/ve posted a few in my time also,old press cuttings etc.
My own personal opinion ,and this is NOT a decision, is that if the source is mentioned and there is no financial gain to be made,it SEEMS in order to post this kind of shot to illustrate a particular point. However, will wait and see what anyone else thinks.

jordiboy
24th October 2005, 20:51
Music and song copyright lapses after fifty years, is that not the same for photos ?

flyer682
25th October 2005, 06:43
I concur with what Fairfield has said. As long as the source is acknowledged, there shouldn't be a problem.

danube4
25th October 2005, 21:55
Hi Flyer. Do you know Bob Gerrat, I think he's a manager on container quay Port Lyttelton? Barney

cynter
29th October 2005, 08:25
I have a heap of Marconi Marine house magazines (the 'Mariner'), some dating from 1948. They contain a large number of photos of ships and ship radio rooms; most of the older photos are of fairly dodgy quality but latterly they improved. Each issue from around the late 1950s contained a section reporting vessels that had been fitted with Marconi equipment in the previous 3 months or so; each of the reports was accompanied by an external photo of the ship. The majority of the photos were provided by the shipyard and so would remain subject to their copyright; a few were from Skyfotos or similar organisations.

A couple of years ago I scanned all these photos into my PC, which subsequently suffered a hard drive crash and everything was lost. The replacement PC has the ability to burn CDs and DVDs so I was thinking about repeating the (very lengthy) exercise of scanning them all in again, this time saving them to CD/DVD.

If I did so, would any of them be of interest to this site, or would there be copyright problems?

If I were to go ahead, the results would be dribbled onto the site, I wouldn't expect to have scanned them all for several months.

I certainly don't want to cause the site and its owners any legal problems. Could someone give me a decision?

Ron Stringer

Hi Ron....

I've got the perfect decision.... go ahead.!!

I was an R/O with marconi marine 55 to 61 and can identify with all that you've said.... would dearly like to have a look back at the old mags.

Give me a call anyway.... I live in Aussie now.. Perth, WA.
I'm around your age...born '38 and guess we have a lot in common....

Cheers for now....hope to hear from you soon....Terry Glover

Doug H
29th October 2005, 08:55
Ron, I think you'll find that there are a whole lot of us who would be VERY interested in these. If you are able to give it the time, I'm sure it would be appreciated. Kind regards, Doug H

Doug H
29th October 2005, 09:27
Cynter: Greetings Terry! Your name is very familiar to me. Did we know eachother at Hamble in the 50's or did we meet somewhere else? Send me a PM if you wish. Doug H

cynter
29th October 2005, 11:41
Doug H: G'day Doug H... I didn't have the luxury of Hamble... was bundled off to sea very pronto after getting my PMG in Bridlington, E.Yorks.
I've only lived in Oz for 21 years unlike yourslf... but I visited here lots in the 50's and have very fond memories of same.
Fantastic site this, eh? I only found it recently.
Cheers... Terry

william dillon
30th October 2005, 21:43
I don't see any problem posting 'photos as we are not selling them or gaining revenue from them, they are purely for "recreational purposes" so to my mind no harm is being done.
Billy

william dillon
30th October 2005, 21:47
P.S.
I have no objections to anyone reproducing or using any of the 'photos I have posted, I don't even want an acknowledgement if they are used, they are for everyones use.
Billy

danube4
30th October 2005, 22:06
That go'es for me to, if you want anything. just take. If any good to you. You are very welcome. Barney.