William & Kate Johnston(Lifeboat)

WallyMalcolm
2nd March 2010, 13:10
(Wally's daughter)

My grandad served on the Lifeboat and got a medal for saving the crew on the French steamer Emile Delmas 24th Nov 1928.

I keep meaning to see if the Painting ever got put back up in the Williamson Art Gallery as it was undergoing restoration.

I was lucky enough to go on the William Kate when it came to Liverpool for the tall ships a few years ago.

Anyone have any photos of the crew etc.

nhp651
5th March 2010, 08:40
I have a nice little booklet called "a Saviour of Souls. William and Kate Johnston. The story of a legendary prototype Lifeboat", by Nicholas Leach in which it has a few distance and one close up named shot of the crew.
The close up shot names the crew who took part in that rescue, and are named as:

JOHN MOORE, GEORGE CARMODY, WILLIAM LIVERSAGE, JACK NICHOLSON, GEORGE ROBINSON ( COXS'N) WILFRED GARBUTT and SAM JONES
If you want me to scan them and send, please pm me with your email address. cheers, neil.

WallyMalcolm
5th March 2010, 14:27
I have a nice little booklet called "a Saviour of Souls. William and Kate Johnston. The story of a legendary prototype Lifeboat", by Nicholas Leach in which it has a few distance and one close up named shot of the crew.
The close up shot names the crew who took part in that rescue, and are named as:

JOHN MOORE, GEORGE CARMODY, WILLIAM LIVERSAGE, JACK NICHOLSON, GEORGE ROBINSON ( COXS'N) WILFRED GARBUTT and SAM JONES
If you want me to scan them and send, please pm me with your email address. cheers, neil.

My grandad was Wilfred Garbutt :)

motheaton63
19th October 2010, 17:20
Was Wilfred Garbutt born in Hull on3 Dec 1892?

Gulpers
19th October 2010, 18:45
There are photographs of her in our Gallery here (http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/search.php?searchid=672052). My three are from when she started to sink off South Stack, Anglesey, on her way south from River Festival at Liverpool. (EEK)

I have some more internal and external shots of her after she flooded. If they are of any interest to you, drop me a Private Message (PM). (Thumb)

tomrowland
11th November 2010, 12:33
Hi,
I am writing a piece for the London Boat Show newspaper supplement about the William and Kate Johnston, any help you can give me plus a look at the Leach book would be much appreciated.

Tom Rowland

www.tomr.eu

mburgel
13th June 2013, 08:28

Hi, not sure if this is still active but I just found out one of the above mentioned men is my Great Grandfather & I would love anything you could scan & email me.
My email address is - mburgel@bigpond.com
Thank you :)

WallyMalcolm
13th June 2013, 09:03
Was Wilfred Garbutt born in Hull on3 Dec 1892?

Sorry missed this I will need to check he was born in Hull and died about 1960 when I was small Linda great grandaughter.