M.V Adventurer

Coastie
24th October 2005, 17:31
Can anyone help a friend of mine please. His name is Gordon Buckley and he would like to know what became of a ship he used to work on when he worked for the Harrison line. The ship is, or was, called the M.V Adventurer and the keel was laid in 1953 I believe, either that or she was launched in 1953, I'm not sure. Other than that I have no further details.

Thanks.
Coastie

fred henderson
24th October 2005, 22:42
Your friend's info fails to tie in with my records Coastie. The only 1953 Harrison's ship that I know is Diplomat.
Adventurer was launched by Doxford's in April 1959 and delivered in February 1960. She had a distinctive profile with 2 short hatches, followed by the bridge, then 2 very long hatches seperated by a 180 ton Stulken derrick then the main superstructure with funnel and 4 lifeboats, the final hatch was on a raised poop deck with a small deckhouse at the stern.
In 1979 she was sold to Prospel Maritime Ltd, Greece in 1979 and finally scrapped at Gadani Beach in 1985.

Fred

ruud
25th October 2005, 00:10
Ahoy Coastie,
Is this the one your looking for?

Adventurer1960 1979 sold to Greece renamed Eleftheria. 8,971

http://img478.imageshack.us/img478/6935/adventurer1pe.jpg

http://img467.imageshack.us/img467/2386/adventurera5xy.th.jpg (http://img467.imageshack.us/my.php?image=adventurera5xy.jpg)

Built in Sunderland on 02-1960 at Wm.Doxford & Sons [S.B]Ltd.[834]
IMO:5003576
Call Sign:GFCE
Owner:Charent S.S.Co.Ltd
Manager:Thos & Jas. Harrison Ltd.
Flag:U.K.
P.o.R.:Liverpool
LOA x B x D:149.43 x 19.89 x 8.999
Eng:Oil 2SA 6Cy 670x2320 5147kW[6900bhp]
Speed:15kn

Coastie
25th October 2005, 20:34
Fred.

Many thanks for the info, I think that is the one cos I remember him saying something about it being able to lift quite a large ammount. I must be wrong about the date.

Ruud.

Many thanks for the picture and info too, if it's alright with you, I'll print it off and show it to Gordon?

Best wishes.

Coastie.

ruud
25th October 2005, 20:55
Ahoy Coastie,

Yep, that's ok doki, that's what postings are made for, to share yours with others.
Yes she can lift a lot with those derricks, they don't make them anymore like these on freighters, nowadays.

janbonde
26th October 2005, 12:15
Hi Fred when those ships were built they went over to Germany to get their running gear rigged is that right

fred henderson
26th October 2005, 16:21
Hi Fred when those ships were built they went over to Germany to get their running gear rigged is that right
Not sure about Adventurer, Janbonde. She was a one-off and it was the first time a Stulken was installed in a British ship. Later, they were certainly installed in the builders yards.

Fred

Coastie
29th October 2005, 22:51
Thanks all for your information.

Ruud. A friend of mine showed Gordon your picture and he agreed that that was his ship. When he came ashore he ran a couple of pubs for a time and I think the alchohol has befuddled his brain!

Fred. He also saw the information you had posted and thanks you, and all involved.

(Applause)

Once again, many thanks.

Best wishes.

Coastie.

Eric Parkin
14th January 2006, 14:40
Thanks Ruud for a great photo of one of my old ships. I sailed on her for 2 or 3 trips as Asst Purser and Purser, I often wondered what happend to the old girl, she was a smashing ship, good memories of her. It was amazing to see the whole ship heel over when she was Heavy Lifting with the Stulken and the Chief Officer orchestrating the men operating it. For the most part though a ' California Rig ' was employed utilising the four derricks, rather than breaking out the Stulken, which was time consuming. I had loads of photographs of her and many other Harrisons ships which were lost during a house move. Wish I had them now as I would have posted them.

Peter (Pat) Baker
15th January 2006, 12:27
Eric Parkin,
I was with Harrison Line, as Purser, at roughly the same time as you. In those days Tim Potter was Purser of the "Adventurer", do you remember him or any of the other Harrison Men of that time?. Would appreciate hearing from you.
Peter Baker.

edward
15th January 2006, 15:15
peter do you remember flash harry (chief steward) allso the milky bar kid chief cook. regards edward.

Peter (Pat) Baker
16th January 2006, 11:31
Edward,
I'm afraid those names mean nothing to me. It appears that you must have been in Harrisons just after me.
The names o Pursers that I remember are:- Nev. Thomas, Dai Jenkins, Tim Potter, Gerry Robinson, Chopper Malloy, Vic. Laird, Norman Coppel.
Chief Stewards:- Bob Hope, Jackie Moore and others too numerous to menton.
Peter.

edward
16th January 2006, 18:20
peter i remember jackie moore but can not put a face to it ,regards ,edward.

Peter (Pat) Baker
17th January 2006, 12:48
Edward,
Jackie Moore, Chief Steward, was a tall dark haired guy who was probably the best feeder in the M.N.
Rumor had it that he stole the girl friend of Russ Conway, the famous Liverpool pianist and entertainer.
Peter.

edward
17th January 2006, 18:50
thanks peter i do remember his reputation as a good chief steward i only worked by with him i was about 15/16years old at the time, two chief cooks names that i sailed with i think you might know are tommy collins/ eddie boyd he was a west indian, both left me with lasting memories all good. regards edward.

Bill Lambert
18th January 2006, 08:13
I remember Jackie Moore too. He was a great guy, always well turned out. We sailed to the Cape on the old "Barrister" in 1964. The Chief Cook was a guy called Danny who'd sailed as a Ch/Stwd and Norman "Poetry" Coppel was the purser. Jack had a girl friend in Durban, strictly platonic of course, but we didn't see much of him whilst we were there.
The Mate was a guy called Deck Head Williams who later went ashore to run a pub. The chief engineer was a ghastly man called Harrigate Smith. We broke down for a couple off days off the Canaries. We had to go into Las Palmas for a week to effect repairs. Jackie always looked after us, best food and service considering it was a Harrison ship.

Eric Parkin
18th January 2006, 09:54
Hello Pat,

I do remember your name but cant remember meeting you.
As Asst. Purser I sailed with Jim Peacock, I last heard that he was doing well in the Public House trade. Peter Oberg or Oldberg, what a character he was. Mike Best who lived over the water in wallassey, he's probably a millionaire now. I sailed with another Mike, surname I forget, he was a nice chap. Im afraid the mists of time are taking their toll on my memory. A couple of years ago I read somewhere on the net that someone, I think it was a Mr Chambers, I think he was Head of Crewing Dept, where Fred Wharton worked downstairs in Mersey Chambers or Chamberlain, was compiling a History of the Harrison Line. Wish I had kept some crew lists, I can see faces but cant fit names to them. I can remember Harrogate Smith, Ch. Engineer. and Capt. Alan Moreton, what an absolute gentleman he was. There was a Ch. Engineer who sailed on Adventurer who lived in Grey Road, Walton. Liverpool, who again was a thorough gentleman and a pleasure to sail with. I made my first trip on the Explorer, July 1969 after working around the coast,when docked at Canada Dock everyone stayed up all night watching the first landing of an astronaut on the moon, the Purser/Catering Officer was a Mr Alf Ead or was it Eadie, I did'nt get on too well with him, far too authoritarian, although for the most part I suppose he was alright. I can remember the Tactician's engine room going on fire, and she had to dock in the azores to effect repairs. I wonder whatever happend to all the Cased model ships that were displayed in the Dock Office and Mersey Chambers.

Regards, Eric.

Peter (Pat) Baker
18th January 2006, 12:22
Bill Lambert.
Glad that you remember Jackie Moore. I also remember Harrogare Smith (ugh). Norman Coppel sailed as my Assistant Purser on his 1st trip after leaving the Royal Marines, but why did you nickname him "Poetry".
If "Deckhead" Williams refers to Eric Williams who was about 7 foot tall, then I sailed with him when he was 1st Officer and also went to Oldershaw Grammar School in Wallasey some years before that.
It is strange that we never met.
Would love to hear more from you.
Pat Baker.

edward
18th January 2006, 18:51
eric, one of the cased models the mv inventor which i sailed on is/was on display at the mersey maritime museum but i did hear that they were going to be moved. i would love to know my self were the rest of the models are (some one must know). edward

DMA
18th January 2006, 22:34
Some Thos & Jos Harrison memorabilia here & what happened to it.

http://www.antiques-scotland.co.uk/bonhams/Bonhams%2003/bonhams_whisky_result_03.htm

Anyone recall a Capt Sharman / Chief Mate Mitchell ? [Adventurer early 60s]
gave lots of time off to play footie. (Thumb)
Also Capt 'Puppet' Thompson [Custodian!!]

Peter (Pat) Baker
19th January 2006, 12:04
Dave Ashton,

I remeber Capt. Sharman well. A complete gentleman, also I believe a 4 ring Captain RNR.
Loved a good party as long as everything and everybody was shipshape the following morning.
Pat Baker.

Norm
3rd February 2007, 00:49
Hi Guys,
I sailed on the Adventurer as junior eng during 1965. I recall the purser was Harry Carlos Stewart. The captain used to go around shouting "woof-woof" like a dog. The 3rd eng was Lenny ?. The 4th Eng was Rod ?.
The crew were West Indian.

colinj
3rd February 2007, 16:28
I made three voyages on Adventurer in 1964/65 as 3/0,two with Captain Sharman (also a Captain RNR) and one with Captain Ledger,who used the expression 'woof woof' a great deal for some reason.We flew the Blue Ensign for the first two voyages as I also was on List 1 RNR and this was unusual in Harrisons.The C/O was Stan Bladon.

lofty
3rd February 2007, 22:20
I sailed with captain ledger on the factor in 1960 he always shouted woof woof to get you to get a move on i.e come on lads woof woof. He was a great captain to sail with always in a good mood and ready for a laugh. I worked by on the Adventurer in june 1960 but did not sail on her as i just got spliced

lofty
3rd February 2007, 22:21
I sailed with captain ledger on the factor in 1960 he always shouted woof woof to get you to get a move on i.e come on lads woof woof. He was a great captain to sail with always in a good mood and ready for a laugh. I worked by on the Adventurer in june 1960 but did not sail on her as i just got spliced

Keith Adams
6th February 2007, 04:04
I was on the 'Scholar' when the 'Adventure' went to Hamburg to be fitted with her Stulcken derrick. At the time she was the first British ship to be fitted with the rig and and for a very brief time was the largest capacity afloat. The Company had a painting commisioned by John Stobart of her off Greenock, and used copies for advertising and calendars. Stobart got his feet wet with
Harrisons and Elder Dempster and is now big time in the USA. An auction of Harrisons office/shipping effects took place in 2003 or 2004. Snowy

scouse alan
22nd October 2007, 18:49
I worked as a stevedor storekeeper for Harrisons at the Canada dock before I went to sea so I worked on most of the fleet on deck, I remember the shore steward Regie Farrington and also my dad was a ships foreman on the dock Teddy Robinson. I think I let him down though as my first and only voyage with Harrisons came to an abrupt end when I painted the entire crew bar black with silver stars and cargo separation nets as spiders webs on the Mv Merchant. To all who had to use this bar after I paid off to continue my Merchant career on less noble lines all I can say is sorry and long live tennants in the yellow can.

Pat McCardle
22nd October 2007, 21:18
eric, one of the cased models the mv inventor which i sailed on is/was on display at the mersey maritime museum but i did hear that they were going to be moved. i would love to know my self were the rest of the models are (some one must know). edward

Edward

I will have a look around Sunderland's Museum soon, as I am sure there are some models from various shipping Co's in there, Harrison's included(Thumb)

dagnall
12th May 2008, 20:16
My grandfather ended up as chief engineer on some of the Harrison Line ships. Adventurer and Governor ring a bell. I have 8 prints of various Harrison Line ships still. Does anyone remember George Browne? (I guess it was along time ago now...)

David W
28th July 2008, 19:34
Being a new boy I have only just read the threads re Captain Sharman and the Adventurer, he was the best Skipper I ever sailed with.one of the boys, but always respected as the captain. I remember he chipped in with some clothes when an EDH had to do a pierhead jump in Birkenhead, and hadnt bought his gear with him. As for football, it was drinks all night when we beat the ARK ROYAL team in Mombasa, one of their team, a Jock, had an anchor tattoed on his doodah and showed it to everyone whether you wanted to see it or not. To the best of my knowledge Captain Sharman always flew the blue ensign and one time going into Belfast we dipped to an RNR sweeper who didnt dip back, as soon as we berthed he was off to HMS Caroline and the screams could be heard for miles. By the way his hobby was embroidery/needlework.

rod bart
26th August 2008, 15:14
Hi Guys,
I sailed on the Adventurer as junior eng during 1965. I recall the purser was Harry Carlos Stewart. The captain used to go around shouting "woof-woof" like a dog. The 3rd eng was Lenny ?. The 4th Eng was Rod ?.
The crew were West Indian.

hi Norm,

I sailed on Aventurer from 65 till 67. I was the 4th engineer. My family had a picture of the Adventurer painted for me for my 65th Birthday. I have some vague memories and thought I would try to contact someone out there who sailed at the same time.
I have photos of crew and will attempt to load onto site shortly.

Rod.

cygnus21
10th September 2008, 13:43
I sailed on the Adventures last trip with Harrison's, I will have to dig out some more information,but if I remember rightly the captain was Owen Martin Owen,and the Chief Engineer was called Ernie Allen.

Martin Carran
30th September 2008, 17:53
Hi, my Grandfather was Capt. L J Sharman who was Master for many Harrison Line vessels including the Adventurer, my brother is Robin Carran who was engineer on Harrison ships in the 1970s. I am looking for info on Capt Sharman and any good photos of the Adventurer as I am hoping to make a scratchbuilt model of her. Great to read the remarks about my Grandfather, he retired to South Africa, settling in Cape Town. He returned to the UK a few times to catch up with his family. He passed away after a short illness in 2000 aged 94. A 'good innings' I'm sure you will agree. I have book he wrote called 'Business in Great Waters' where he talks about his life at sea, not published, mine is the only copy, (actually belongs to my Mum, I must return it.) would appreciate other peoples memories of him, good or bad! Many thanks.

Robin C
3rd October 2008, 20:09
As my brother, Martin Carran, previously quoted I was a Cadet Engineer on the Adventurer in 1975 under Capt Charlie Wilde. The Adventurer is a special ship to me as I remember visiting her as a child when my Grandfather, Capt Sharman, was skipper. It was such a thrill for me to sail on her for one voyage, which was to South Africa calling at Cape Town. I was not only able to visit my Grandfather but to do so on his old ship was priceless! When I joined the ship the first thing I saw was a tapestry picture of her which could only have been done by him. I was proud to think that after all those years it was still hanging in the Officers' Bar. I often wonder what happened to it. I would love to be able to get hold of it as it means so much to me.
The 2nd Engineer was Alun Roberts, 1st electician was John Gleeson and 2nd electician was John Fearon. Can't recall any other names.

David W
26th October 2008, 18:44
Robin & Martin, As I stated above Captain Sharman was the best skipper I sailed with, a true gentleman. That tapestry picture of ADVENTURER was in the ship in the early 1960's, but possibly more important I am sure I remember him working on a full sized tapestry of HM The Queen, in full regalia, which I believe he was going to donate to the Royal Naval College Dartmouth.
It may be worth making some enquiries in that direction.

Fieldsy
3rd November 2008, 12:24
The job of purser was eventually combined with that of chief steward and some of those identified as pursers here were chief stewards when I sailed with them. I was with Harrison Line from Aug 1973 until Jan 1983.

People I remember from the names on this thread: Ernie Allen, Harrogate Smith (his name wasn’t Harrogate, he just came from there), Owen Owen, John Fearon, Nev Thomas, Dai Jenkins, Gerry Robinson, Norman Coppell, Pete Oberg.

I coasted the old Author (also sailed on the new one) from Greenock to Liverpool with Pete Oberg. We had a night out somewhere near Paisley Cross and 6 of us got rather bladdered. Pete slipped over on the ice and couldn’t get up again. We tried to help him but the sheet ice did for the rest of us and we all kept getting up then collapsing in a heap again, in fits of giggles. We drew quite a crowd before we finally managed to get everyone upright.

Ralph S
13th April 2009, 15:07
I am trying to find out information about the MV Adventurer's journey from 7th Jan 1962 out of Birkenhead arriving back in Liverpool on 15th April 1962. My father, Jeffrey Stocks was Bosun and during this journey I was born. Early recollections are that he was heading towards the Red Sea. He recently passed away and his fondest memories were his time at sea, his favourite ship was always the Adventurer. He served aboard her from the time she picked up her Stulcken derrick in Hamburg in Jan 1960 until October 1962. Any memories of him would be appreciated.

patbry
16th April 2009, 20:45
Hi, I am sure the Adventurer was only built 1963, I done a trip on her April/May 1964...think there was a Gordon aboard then he came from Tuebrook area of Liverpool.

patbry
16th April 2009, 20:49
Captain Sharman best skipper I sailed with..If my memory serves me well he had a tapestry of the Adventurer on his bulkhead.

Forde
9th September 2009, 22:57
Eric Parkin mentioned the Tactician's fire. Was that the fire of 1972? If so my dad died in it. He was third engineer Michael Forde, maybe known as Mick, or Mike, not sure. I was only 2 when he died so have no memory of him but would like to hear from anyone who knew and sailed with him. First time posting, hope this is appropriate.
Jackie

Coastie
9th September 2009, 23:38
Eric Parkin mentioned the Tactician's fire. Was that the fire of 1972? If so my dad died in it. He was third engineer Michael Forde, maybe known as Mick, or Mike, not sure. I was only 2 when he died so have no memory of him but would like to hear from anyone who knew and sailed with him. First time posting, hope this is appropriate.
Jackie

I should see Gord on Sunday and will ask him to see if he remembers.

Welcome to SN, by the way. I hope you find the answers you are looking for.

Coastie
9th September 2009, 23:40
I was on the 'Scholar' when the 'Adventure' went to Hamburg to be fitted with her Stulcken derrick. At the time she was the first British ship to be fitted with the rig and and for a very brief time was the largest capacity afloat. The Company had a painting commisioned by John Stobart of her off Greenock, and used copies for advertising and calendars. Stobart got his feet wet with
Harrisons and Elder Dempster and is now big time in the USA. An auction of Harrisons office/shipping effects took place in 2003 or 2004. Snowy

Is he anything to do with Stobart Trucking and Stobart Shipping?

Fieldsy
10th September 2009, 22:20
Jackie

Was that the incident when the Chief Engineer also died? If I recall correctly, it was a fire in the scavenge space and when the explosion doors lifted they didn't reseat, letting oxygen in which led to a second catastrophic explosion.

Forde
11th September 2009, 18:47
Yes that's the one. The Chief Engineer was my dad's good mate, I'm told. He'd asked my dad to do this tour with him especially. The Chief Engineer died immediately and my dad a couple of days later. They were far from any coast, off South Africa somewhere, and the nearest response came from a Russian ship who sent plasma and a medic over to try to help. As I never knew my dad, I was only two, I'd just be interested to know anyone who sailed with him to get an insight into his personality. Thanks a lot.

Fieldsy
14th September 2009, 16:55
Yes that's the one. The Chief Engineer was my dad's good mate, I'm told. He'd asked my dad to do this tour with him especially. The Chief Engineer died immediately and my dad a couple of days later. They were far from any coast, off South Africa somewhere, and the nearest response came from a Russian ship who sent plasma and a medic over to try to help. As I never knew my dad, I was only two, I'd just be interested to know anyone who sailed with him to get an insight into his personality. Thanks a lot.

I remember hearing about the incident but didn't actually know anyone involved - sorry.

Peter (Pat) Baker
15th September 2009, 13:09
Dagnall,
Was your grandfather nicknamed "Chester" Brown. If so I temember him well.
If I have the right guy he was a quietly spoken man who always had a pipe
in his mouth.
He was a tremendous guy to sail with.
I did 2 or 3 trips to South Africa with him in the "Governor". That was in
the late 50's early 60's.
Pat Baker.

martyn greenhalgh
7th October 2009, 09:41
I met your dad on board the Tactician before she left on that trip.I was the 5th engineer and took her from Liverpool to London where we were relieved by the deep sea crew whitch included your dad and Ch Engineer Brian Chandler.I was only with him for one night but he must have made a big impresion on me because I can still remember the night ashore we all had before I signed off,even though its nearly 40 years ago.

jclamanga
15th May 2010, 12:54
I sailed on Adventurer for 3 trips as 5th Eng when we met Ark Royal in Mombasa.

Chief Eng was Eddie Rook, 2nd Eng Dougie McGlinsky, 3rd Eng Dave Smith, 4th Eng Eric Pugh, 7th Eng Lenny from Belfast. Lenny stayed on the ship, eventually becoming 3rd Eng.

I also sailed deep-sea on Interpreter as 4th Eng and Discoverer as 4th Eng. I also coasted other Harrison ships. Left company 1965.

DICK RICHARDS
9th May 2012, 02:05
Captain Ledger certainly did say Woof Woof a lot and used to refer to the Cadets as his Pets

Essjay
17th December 2012, 17:59
Bill Lambert.
Glad that you remember Jackie Moore. I also remember Harrogare Smith (ugh). Norman Coppel sailed as my Assistant Purser on his 1st trip after leaving the Royal Marines, but why did you nickname him "Poetry".
If "Deckhead" Williams refers to Eric Williams who was about 7 foot tall, then I sailed with him when he was 1st Officer and also went to Oldershaw Grammar School in Wallasey some years before that.
It is strange that we never met.
Would love to hear more from you.
Pat Baker.

I remember ''Green Pea Smith'' C/Steward in those days. I was on the Diplomat!