The Skeleton Coast

simonw4
4th March 2010, 17:15
I am trying to find out all I can about one Angus Campbell Macintyre, who was first mate on the South African Harbour Board tug Sir Charles Elliott, which stranded during the ill-fated rescue attempt on the Dunedin Star, on the Skeleton Coast of South-West Africa in 1941. Macintyre died during the attempt, and his body was never found. I have recently visited the grave where he is memorialised along with his shipmate Matthias Koraseb.
For a book I am writing I would like to find out something of Macintyre's history - was he born in Scotland, or in South Africa? Are there any relatives, that kind of thing. Thus far I have drawn a series of blanks.
The book - which is a biography of the Atlantic ocean - comes out in November; and I am thinking of dedicating it to Macintyre. But I need to know more about him. Any help would be both appreciated and acknowledged.
Thank you!

K urgess
4th March 2010, 19:46
Welcome aboard from East Yorkshire, Simon.
I'm sure someone aboard will be able to point you in the right direction.
Find your way around and get to know the crew.
Have a good voyage.

bert thompson
4th March 2010, 21:24
Welcome. What an interesting introduction. Good luck with your search
Best wishes
Bert.

billyboy
4th March 2010, 22:20
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. enjoy all this great site has to offer

R58484956
5th March 2010, 15:28
Greetings Simon and welcome to SN. Good luck with your search. Bon voyage.

woodend
5th March 2010, 15:58
Greetings and welcome from the west coast of South Africa. The owners of the tug SIR CHARLES ELLIOTT were the South African Railways and Harbours and, unfortunately, I very much doubt if there are any surviving records there having worked for them from 1966 - 2000.
I hope a site member who knew of him or a relative sees your message and is able to help you in your quest.