Dockmasters

wigmanite
7th March 2010, 19:32
My name is Lawrence Mallini and I had the honor to work with my father Lawrence Mallini Sr.for 20 years at Todd Galveston.He was the dockmaster for 40 years like his father before him who started at Todds in Algeirs then moved to Galveston.I handled the bow going in the dock while he was on the bridge.I worked the old YFDs and the new BIG T floating drydocks.I sure miss working with him in all kinds of weather on all kinds of ships.

K urgess
7th March 2010, 19:40
Welcome aboard from northern England, Lawrence.
Find your way around and get to know the crew.
Have a good voyage.

billyboy
7th March 2010, 22:26
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to offer

bert thompson
8th March 2010, 08:21
Welcome Lawrence to this great site
Best wishes
Bert.

R58484956
8th March 2010, 15:32
Greetings Lawrence and a warm welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

benjidog
8th March 2010, 19:48
Welcome from Lancashire - I hope you will enjoy the site.

gdynia
8th March 2010, 21:14
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

Diver1
30th July 2012, 11:23
I was the diver at Todd Galveston and knew your dad. He was a great Dockmaster.

R58484956
31st July 2012, 20:24
Greetings Diver1 and welcome to SN from across the pond. Bon voyage.

wigmanite
7th August 2012, 02:41
Thanks diver1 for the kind words about my dad.I sure miss those days.Most people don't understand what it takes to do the kind of work we did back then.

Mike S
7th August 2012, 10:41
I wonder if you guys can remember a Limey ship called the "Durham", crewed as a cadet ship and belonging to the Federal Line. We arrived in Galveston on the 10th Dec (might have been the 9th......long time ago) 1957. We had broken crankshafts in both the engines sailed away on the 10 June 1958 with those kind generous Texans all calling into the radio stations and saying "Y'all come back now!"
Todds did an amazing job of fixing those old Sulzers....they were 23 years old by then and well worn. We dry docked in May 1958 and by the time we left the old girl fairly flew.
An account of it all is on the website www.Rakaia.co.uk under Durham and those of us who stayed with the ship all those years ago have very fond memories of Galveston and not so fond memories of the black wall of the dry dock that we spent months staring at!
Thanks Todds........top job all round. (Thumb)

John Hope
7th August 2012, 11:34
I was in Galvaston, 1963 MV OTAIO, NZSC. I remember the womans prison at entry to gates.......

Union Jack
7th August 2012, 12:30
Had the pleasure recently of meeting John Stewart, formerly the Dockmaster at Garden Island Naval Base in Sydney NSW, whilst he was visiting UK with his family. An absolutely fascinating raconteur with a fund of amazing stories about his experiences.(Thumb)

Jack

wigmanite
13th August 2012, 03:23
I wonder if you guys can remember a Limey ship called the "Durham", crewed as a cadet ship and belonging to the Federal Line. We arrived in Galveston on the 10th Dec (might have been the 9th......long time ago) 1957. We had broken crankshafts in both the engines sailed away on the 10 June 1958 with those kind generous Texans all calling into the radio stations and saying "Y'all come back now!"
Todds did an amazing job of fixing those old Sulzers....they were 23 years old by then and well worn. We dry docked in May 1958 and by the time we left the old girl fairly flew.
An account of it all is on the website www.Rakaia.co.uk under Durham and those of us who stayed with the ship all those years ago have very fond memories of Galveston and not so fond memories of the black wall of the dry dock that we spent months staring at!
Thanks Todds........top job all round. (Thumb)My father Lawrence Mallini Sr was the dockmaster that drydocked your vessel at the time.It was 2 years before I was born though and that is why to this day ships and the sea will always be in my blood.