Pen Dart (ex Sand Dart)

meechingman
8th March 2010, 09:28
Does anyone have a photo of this aggregate dredger that I could use in an illustrated talk I'm giving about the Newhaven tug Meeching?

I'm also looking for any information about the incident in February 1970, where Pen Dart dragged her anchors in a violent storm off Shoreham and was rescued by the Meeching. I have the tug's side of things as my father was her skipper, but I'd love to hear from anyone who was on Pen Dart.

Thanks
Andy

BillH
8th March 2010, 09:43
Does anyone have a photo of this aggregate dredger that I could use in an illustrated talk I'm giving about the Newhaven tug Meeching?

I'm also looking for any information about the incident in February 1970, where Pen Dart dragged her anchors in a violent storm off Shoreham and was rescued by the Meeching. I have the tug's side of things as my father was her skipper, but I'd love to hear from anyone who was on Pen Dart.

Thanks
Andy
No great detail to add other than she appears not to be a stranger to the coastal hazards

SAND DART
O.N. 300440. 499g. 179n. 813d. 53.04 x 9.25 x 3.506 metres oa.
As built:- xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx still to add detail
Post 1963:- 12-cyl. 4 S.C.S.A. (273 x 305mm) diesel engine made by Dorman & Company Ltd., Stafford. 720 BHP.
Suction dredger / sand carrier.
27.5.1957: Launched by P. K. Harris & Sons Ltd., Appledore (Yard No. 67), for South Coast Shipping Company Ltd., Southampton.
8.1957: Completed.
10.3.1962 until 14.10.1962: Aground at St. Albans Head, near Swanage, Dorset.
3.7.1963: Arrived at Appledore for repair by Appledore Shipbuilders Ltd, (successors to P. K. Harris & Sons Ltd.) including re-engining.
1964: Sold to Penfold & Company, Burnham, and renamed PEN DART.
2.1970: Dragged anchors off Shoreham in a storm and towed to safety.
1973: Sold to A. R. C. Marine Ltd., Southampton, and renamed ARCO DART.

scorcher
14th March 2010, 11:52
Andy I have checked my list but only have PEN TAW built 1968. I lived in Brighton
in the 70s and remember the TARPENBEK being beached. You probably have already checked but I thought that maybe the local paper THE (Brighton) ARGUS may have some reports in its archives.; http://www.theargus.co.uk/
Alan.

corlettn
30th January 2013, 22:45
Hi Meechingman
I've been viewing your many posts on Meeching with considerable interest.
She was designed by Burness Corlett & Partners Ltd (BCP), Managing Director Dr E C B Corlett (my father). I have some information from BCP publicity material which I will try to find. My brother is current MD of BCP (www.bctq.com). I remember seeing her on the slip at Appledore!
Sand Dart was a BCP design, quite interesting since I think she was the first ever jet lift dredger. I was 7 when she was launched and can remember much talk about the effectiveness of her equipment.
Contact me at nigelcorlett@hotmail.com and I will send you what I can find on Meeching but it may take me some time - very full attic!

Best regards

Nigel Corlett

gert2012
3rd February 2013, 16:18
http://www.isaris.nl/ppm/dredging/tags.php?tag=1681

only movies from Arco Dart in this database, simular vessels I would say

stoneleigh
5th February 2013, 16:59
The Arco Dart & Arco Dee were built by A.& P. Appledore in around the 1980's period, & the last time I checked they were both operational. I've no recollection of ARC Marine owning the Arco Dart you speak of, however I may have forgotten. Although I do clearly remember about 40 years ago, I saw a South Coast vessel aground on the rocks below St.Albans Head, & assume that was the vessel you mention? At the time we were walking around the top, & I remember looking down on the strickened vessel thinking how on earth are they going to re-float that! However if what has been said is true, they did!

Stevie B
5th February 2013, 18:43
The Arco Dart & Arco Dee were built by A.& P. Appledore in around the 1980's period, & the last time I checked they were both operational. I've no recollection of ARC Marine owning the Arco Dart you speak of, however I may have forgotten. Although I do clearly remember about 40 years ago, I saw a South Coast vessel aground on the rocks below St.Albans Head, & assume that was the vessel you mention? At the time we were walking around the top, & I remember looking down on the strickened vessel thinking how on earth are they going to re-float that! However if what has been said is true, they did!

Sorry but your wrong, the Arco Dee and Dart were built in 1990 by IHC in Holland and are still working hard, the Dee works on the South Coast and the Dart in the Bristol Channel.

I joined the ex Sand Dart, my first ever ship, in Littlehampton in 1974 by that time she had become the Arco Dart.

I believe she may still be working somewhere in Greece, have seen a picture of her taken in 2010 and she looked in remarkable condition for here age.

stoneleigh
5th February 2013, 23:49
Stevie B. you are right, I said I might have forgotten, (& clearly had)! The Arco Dart, & Arco Dee were built by I.H.C. as you say. Apart from the day we walked over St Albans Head, I can't ever remember seeing the earlier Arco Dart, & on that occasion it carried its previous name.