Sir John Snell

Jeff Egan
25th October 2005, 19:16
In 1980 the Sir John Snell was laid up at Newcastle quay, she eventually sailed, loaded scrap for Spain, after discharge she was also scrapped

billyboy
31st January 2006, 07:43
remember her discharging coal at shor4ham power station years ago. she always looked smart too.

nigelcollett
31st January 2006, 11:22
SJS

She was slold in 1980 to the Agmar Shipping Co Ltd, Sunderland and r/n the AGMAR I before her final journey.

Unforetunately she did not have a career without incident. On the 4.4.57, in dense fog, she was in collision with the Metcalfe vessel LISBETH M near the North Goodwin Lightship. The LM was sunk and although the SJS launched her lifeboats and picked up some of the crew there was loss of life.

Regards

NigelC
Ex R/O SJS 1963

jim barnes
31st January 2006, 11:28
them twin chimneys must bring back loads of memories, sailing in or out (Thumb)

billyboy
1st February 2006, 01:06
last i heard was that the twin chimneys were removed. my older brother used them as a landmark when he was flying into shoreham airport.thanks for the picture. thats the same berth i saw her bin all them years ago.

standby
17th March 2006, 21:26
The Sir John Snell's maiden voyage was around March 1955. Main engined by North Eastern Marine with reheat to IP cylinder, Andrews and Cameron poppet valves, Belliss and Morcambe generators that provided more than ample DC power through a dead front switchboard for Hydro Electric steering gear, Electric galley cooking ranges and other gear. Good accomodation.

I sailed as relieving 2nd eng'r during a break from tankers and was in time to be caught up in the six month guarantee surveys for a couple of month...the Electricity Generating Board built a fine ship and there were no real problems. As a tanker man I reckon the Electricity Generating Board built a fine ship, pity about the trade. Good household/steaming coal from Blyth to the continent with backload of coal duff for Littlebrooke power station (!).

Often wondered what became of her, now I know. Thanks Jeff.

Regards....standby (R345910)

Pat McCardle
17th March 2006, 22:01
Always remember Engineers showing me their 'Room' & quoting " All Steam & NO BLACKHEADS". Excellent clean E/Rm due to Engineers & Donkey/Motorman having PRIDE in their work place, unlike what happens in todays workplace!! (Thumb)

billyboy
18th March 2006, 00:53
i have to admit to being impressed with the "Keynes" engine room too. that little old steam jenny humming away quietly. and i just loved the old "up and downer" trip exp engine. would love to have sailed on her, but never a berth available when she came in.

Pat McCardle
18th March 2006, 09:55
Did Albert Le Blond, Wear Dry-dock owner, try & have her set in concrete on the sea wall at Roker as a tourist / maritime site or even restuarant?

gdynia
18th March 2006, 10:01
Did Albert Le Blond, Wear Dry-dock owner, try & have her set in concrete on the sea wall at Roker as a tourist / maritime site or even restuarant?
Think that was another collier he had in mind Pat

Pat McCardle
18th March 2006, 13:10
Think that was another collier he had in mind Pat

Could only be Cliff Quay, Sir William Walker or James Rowan then? It was definately one of the old CEGB boats. (Thumb)

gdynia
18th March 2006, 13:21
It was one of the smaller ones Pat. I done a couple of relief trips for him on the coast and can remember rumours about it

Pat McCardle
18th March 2006, 14:00
It was one of the smaller ones Pat. I done a couple of relief trips for him on the coast and can remember rumours about it

Or was it the 'Flatiron' Battersea?

gdynia
18th March 2006, 14:50
Or was it the 'Flatiron' Battersea?
Think thats the one Pat but Sunderland Council turned him down

albertwebster
26th March 2006, 02:00
Remember watching the Sir John Snell and her sisters, James Rowan and Charles H. Merz being built, (force of habit calling a ship a she, even though the ship is named after a bloke. I'd rather call a ship a she than an it. P.C. gone mad as usual). They were built at Hall Russells in Aberdeen during 1955. Used to come across them often when I was on the Thomas Livesey (flat iron, North Thame Gas Board) in 1961-1962.

ruud
26th March 2006, 09:00
Ahoy,
Found a very old piccie of her + some facts;Sorry for the quality!

graham atkinson
6th September 2006, 20:18
Think it was Cliff Quay tyhat was going to be encased in concrete at Sunderland.
Apparently the story at the time was that AGMAR stood for A.G. gibbons the ships chandlers and MARshalls the shipping agents both Sunderland based. She was not allowed to leave the Tyne becasue the Harbour Master deemed her unseaworthy so the skipper of the Spanish tug into tow her to Spain sailed out at midnight with no lights showing and she was later found drifting off Norfolk (I think) so annother tug took to the breakers.

Graham

nigelcollett
8th September 2006, 09:57
Hi Graham

Hadn't heard that little titbit before - would be grateful if anybody could expand on that.

S.J.S. was my first solo trip as R/O

Regards

NigelC

john shaw
8th September 2006, 10:12
sir John Snell

Quote:[I]Unforetunately she did not have a career without incident. /I].

attached, a photo of said ship in drydock following a shunt with the S.Shields pier 1959

nigelcollett
12th October 2006, 10:07
Hi Geordie

At the last MOT I appeared to be fine tks. At least winters coming now and the missus won't have so many jobs lined up for me to do. More time for SN

Hope your keeping okay

Regards

NigelC

ruud
30th December 2006, 11:33
In 1980 the Sir John Snell was laid up at Newcastle quay, she eventually sailed, loaded scrap for Spain, after discharge she was also scrapped

Ahoy Jeff,
Here a better shot of her, leaving Shoreham on the 25th of March 1961:

Jacktar1
19th March 2007, 05:18
Served on board as 2nd mate late 1950's. The master at the time was a Captain Hetherington, excellent accomodation and a good feeder, happy crew. remember spending one Christmas tied up in Immingham. happy memories.

ruud
19th March 2007, 09:15
Ahoy,
Here another shot of her;
Courtesy/ŠIain Lovie
http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/834/sirjohnsnell1955mediumju6.th.jpg (http://img259.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sirjohnsnell1955mediumju6.jpg)

nigelcollett
19th March 2007, 14:11
Hi Ruud

Obviously a photogenic vessel as good pics seem to be appearing all over the place

Hope your keeping well

Regards

NigelC

ruud
19th March 2007, 14:47
Ahoy Nigel,
Yes regular seen new piccies of her all over,indeed a nice vessel for a piccie.
Everything OK Doki,thanks mate, wish you all the best.
Just posted the Dame Caroline as cable-layer,not the best scan,but nevertheless.

Kit Smith
27th May 2007, 19:23
Ahoy Nigel,
Yes regular seen new piccies of her all over,indeed a nice vessel for a piccie.
Everything OK Doki,thanks mate, wish you all the best.
Just posted the Dame Caroline as cable-layer,not the best scan,but nevertheless.
I have a couple of pics of the James Rowan, which I sailed on as a 14 yr old. My uncle Capt. George McConnell allways promised me a trip. He was master of the Brunswick Warf, a flatiron, prior to the James Rowan, and I have a nice picture of that ship, in a frame that appears to be of Capt cabin quality.

Kit Smith, Calgary

wa002f0328
27th May 2007, 19:44
what about Sir Joseph Swan????

Kit Smith
27th May 2007, 20:00
One of the sisters to the James Rowan can be seen in the film Battle of Britain for a couple of seconds, probably unloading at Deptford.

Kit

barnsey
28th May 2007, 13:24
Has anyone got a photo of the Lizbeth M which "Sir John Snell" was in collision with.

There were two Worcester cadets, Cornelius and Lark doing a holiday trip on her at the time and the story is told by Cadet Cornelius of the collision, abandoning ship and 5 survivors being swept away in a huddle and being picked up 45 minutes later by a lifeboat.

I am trying now to find out about the sinking of the P&O Shillong as there was a Worcester cadet on her at the time of her collision and I have a vague memory of it being Cornelius who was aboard her .,.. there were two killed on the Shillong one of whom was a worcester cadet?

Barnsey

methc
7th July 2007, 00:46
I am trying now to find out about the sinking of the P&O Shillong as there was a Worcester cadet on her at the time of her collision and I have a vague memory of it being Cornelius who was aboard her .,.. there were two killed on the Shillong one of whom was a worcester cadet?

Barnsey

The story of the sinking of the Shillong is contained in this book "The Illustrated Diary of a Thames Pilot" (1995). by John Foot.

oceancraft
29th September 2007, 13:18
A GA of the class is available on this link:

http://www.aberdeenships.com/related.asp?offset=2680&index=97931&shipid=101562

Tinkerboy
24th October 2008, 14:14
The Sir John Snell, Yes a great ship, I was on her October 1956, we ran fron Commisoners Quay and Immingham to Littlebrooke Power Station. I joined her in Immingham. Great accomodation and food, could not fault her as one of my favourites in a fifteen year career. TB.