Delmonico's - Cape Town - free drinks for all!

donnington
12th March 2010, 14:24
Here's a jape from yesteryear which some of you Delmonico fans may find amusing. If, by the way, you were involved in this, then please have the courtesy to own up!

The closure of Delmonico's (whenever that was) coincided with two mail ships in Cape Town, one outward bound the other on her way home.

The outward bounder, upon tying-up was swamped with several hundred leaflets, announcing the closure of Delmonico's, going on to state that in view of the "many years of patronage" by the crews of each and every Cape boat, there would be free drinks for all from midnight onwards on the last night.

Apparently the place was literally heaving with all and sundry from the outward bound ship.

Midnight came and went; not one free drink in sight.

Then the truth emerged.......

Some wag in the print shop of the homeward bounder thought it would be a bit fun to print a few flyers.........

R58484956
12th March 2010, 15:59
British and American sailors in there one night, a visit the next day, it looked more like Hiroshoma than Delmonicos.

cee dee
6th May 2011, 05:51
Ah! Delmonicos, we used to come up from Simonstown by train with our allowance of alcohol for the journey as it just qualified. Show your ticket in the drinks shop at the station (what did they call those places) can't remember, get a half bottle of "Mellow Wood" gone by the time we reached Cape Town into Dels till ten then on to the Navigators Den or the Catacoombs and buy another bottle from the bouncer at three times the price of the one at the station!
Get woken up by the cleaners just in time to get the six o clock train back to Simonstown and back onboard before eight. Start the whole thing over again at four thirty!!! Those were the days.

salvina
6th May 2011, 09:48
The "drinks shop" as you call it was simply the "bottle store" A central part of life in South Africa.

iain48
6th May 2011, 11:30
The "drinks shop" as you call it was simply the "bottle store" A central part of life in South Africa.

Or "Drankwinkel"

Iain

pete
6th May 2011, 12:15
Delmonico's..never went there..... My Halo is strangling me:sweat: :sweat: (Jester).....pete

KenLin39
6th May 2011, 13:10
Tiki Hock bar at Capetown Station. Wine @ silver 3d a throw. Though why a SA 3d was called a Tiki I don't know , something to do with NZ coin of same value ?. Ken.

Tony Shaw
7th May 2011, 15:02
I remember Delmonicos and was there a Darrells ? Also, in Durban a T-bone in the Navigator's Den was a nice change from ship fare !

cee dee
8th May 2011, 04:41
Or "Drankwinkel"

Iain

Yes that was what I remember it being called. "Drankwinkel"

alan ward
12th October 2011, 15:18
PCO on the Chrysantema with a Captains bond.We called into Capetown to load fruit for Southampton.As often a bit of a wait for the cargo so we had a few days lounging about.The ships chandler came on board with his bond lists amonst the various delights including the brandy`Cape Smoke`and some lovely wines was a sparkling white called Here XV11 at a ridiculously low price so I bought several cases and put them on sale straight away.It went like wildfire everyone was right on it,with orange juice for breakfast,with brandy and angostura in the evening or just on its own.

All was oin swimminly until a bloke called Bernard Bloch came on board a friend of the mates.He blanched when he saw what we were drinking`That`s what the kaffirs buy from the shebeens`he told us.never mind we drank the lot happily.

Robinj
17th October 2011, 11:16
We always favoured the Firemans Arms which I believe is still going.

R396040
17th October 2011, 20:21
In the fifties it was Delmonicos in Capetown & The Playhouse in Durban as regular haunts for Castle Boat crews I recall.
Cape Smoke was cheap & deadly and caused me to miss the Dominion Monarch in Cape Town,her next stop was Fremantle, so three weeks incarceration followed, not pleasant. Signed on Braemar Castle to get home and another trip to clear my book.
Stuart H

joller6
27th January 2012, 00:01
just an Explanation for you on that Tiki bit you posted!
Cheers

tickey/ticky/tickie/tiki/tikki/tikkie = ticky or tickey was an old pre-decimal British silver threepenny piece (3d, equating loosely to 1p). The tickey slang was in use in 1950s UK (in Birmingham for example, thanks M Bramich), although the slang is more popular in South Africa, from which the British usage seems derived. In South Africa the various spellings refer to a SA threepenny piece, and now the equivalent SA post-decimalisation 2 cents coin. South African tickey and variations - also meaning 'small' - are first recorded in the 19th century from uncertain roots (according to Partridge and Cassells) - take your pick: African distorted interpretation of 'ticket' or 'threepenny'; from Romany tikeno and tikno (meaning small); from Dutch stukje (meaning a little bit); from Hindustani taka (a stamped silver coin); and/or from early Portuguese 'pataca' and French 'patac' (meaning what?.. Partridge doesn't say).

If you have any old ones or other denomonations keep them!
Cheers

dmerchant
4th March 2012, 17:50
just an Explanation for you on that Tiki bit you posted!
Cheers

tickey/ticky/tickie/tiki/tikki/tikkie = ticky or tickey was an old pre-decimal British silver threepenny piece (3d, equating loosely to 1p). The tickey slang was in use in 1950s UK (in Birmingham for example, thanks M Bramich), although the slang is more popular in South Africa, from which the British usage seems derived. In South Africa the various spellings refer to a SA threepenny piece, and now the equivalent SA post-decimalisation 2 cents coin. South African tickey and variations - also meaning 'small' - are first recorded in the 19th century from uncertain roots (according to Partridge and Cassells) - take your pick: African distorted interpretation of 'ticket' or 'threepenny'; from Romany tikeno and tikno (meaning small); from Dutch stukje (meaning a little bit); from Hindustani taka (a stamped silver coin); and/or from early Portuguese 'pataca' and French 'patac' (meaning what?.. Partridge doesn't say).

If you have any old ones or other denomonations keep them!
Cheers

Trying to contact you regarding DUSTY on Himalaya Email at {email address removed by moderator}
Regards David

Errol Chandler
7th March 2012, 18:15
Anyone got any information on the Winchester Castle in the mid 1930's?

david.hopcroft
14th March 2012, 21:36
"just an Explanation for you on that Tiki bit you posted!
Cheers"

I have quite a few ! Is it true they are/were silver ?

They came from my time running the bar on the Langkloof.

David
+

english margaret
22nd March 2012, 15:32
(Wave)does anyone remember the stagedoor and promenade cafes, what dumps, the food not much better either, there was the Savoy, Darryls, Cats and Navigators Den, how do I know? I was there in the '60's. If you care to Google - Billy Monk photos- Catacombs you may recognise old faces. There is also a book "Billy Monk" which is more detailed.

english margaret
23rd March 2012, 01:18
Ah! Delmonicos, we used to come up from Simonstown by train with our allowance of alcohol for the journey as it just qualified. Show your ticket in the drinks shop at the station (what did they call those places) can't remember, get a half bottle of "Mellow Wood" gone by the time we reached Cape Town into Dels till ten then on to the Navigators Den or the Catacoombs and buy another bottle from the bouncer at three times the price of the one at the station!
Get woken up by the cleaners just in time to get the six o clock train back to Simonstown and back onboard before eight. Start the whole thing over again at four thirty!!! Those were the days.

when I was clubbing in the 1960's I remember the hms leopard, lynx and puma, were you on one of those ships. what memories, both good and bad, do you remember the savoy and the promenade cafe, complete dives, but I was young and I enjoyed life, lol.(Pint)

kag52rc
27th June 2012, 21:40
Had my best times in the Spurs

suestacey
3rd February 2013, 17:30
I am doing my Family History biographies. I have a photo of my father, Harwood Reginald Richings, known as Reg, at Del Monico Restaurant Cape Town (he is sitting on far right) - I am not sure if this was WWII or linked with Korean War. His main ship was HMS Vigilant. Not sure if it will be possible, but would love to add names of others in photos!