brocklebank

dsaile
27th April 2004, 15:25
Is there anybody out there who sailed with T&J Brocklebank (Cunard-Brocklebank) in the period 1968 to 1970?
Ships I sailed on were Masirah, Mawana, Mahsud, Mangla and (I think) Maidan.
Also, is there anybody out there who did their OND Marine Engineering at Birkenhead Tech (1966 to 1968)?

Steve
27th April 2004, 18:26
Hello dsail,

Thanks for dropping by and joining i hope someone can answer your Questions ? Im sure there are some brock or OND folk out there somewhere!!

Rgds Steve

Mavtelford
16th August 2004, 10:15
Hello Dave,

Remember me - Chris Telford alias Mav(erick) ? :thumb: You were a year ahead of me at Birkenhead doing OND - we did a couple of things together that I seem to remember.

Please get in touch.

Regards ,

Chris

cboots
17th August 2004, 12:50
Is there anybody out there who sailed with T&J Brocklebank (Cunard-Brocklebank) in the period 1968 to 1970?
Ships I sailed on were Masirah, Mawana, Mahsud, Mangla and (I think) Maidan.
Also, is there anybody out there who did their OND Marine Engineering at Birkenhead Tech (1966 to 1968)?

G'dye,
I sailed with Brocks (Thos & Jos) around about 1969/1970 time. I was third mate on the Maturata and the Masirah - both beautiful ships as I recall, and also on the Mawana, a bloody wreck. The Maturata was on the North Atlantic run on Anchor Line charter I think it was, which was a bit tough on the poor old Indian crew. She was rather small by Brocklebank's normal standards and I believe originally built for a fast tea trade which did not work out too well. Although sister ships the Masirah and the Mawana were chalk and cheese, first being in pristine condition with a good crowd of officers and a Calcutta crew; the second had a Chittagong crew with an average age of around seventy. The officers were a pretty mixed bag too with a real old rajah man for a master who was on his last trip prior to retirement and was terrified of anything going wrong. Jeez, was I glad to see Liverpool at the end of that trip.
Best regards,
CBoots

Steve
17th August 2004, 17:40
Hi Cboots
And Welcome to SN, Thanks for taking the time to join our little but growing band!

R798780
28th October 2004, 11:40
I sailed on Brocklebanks from '64 to '72 on Malakand, Mahout, Malakand in that order, oldest newest oldest (ship in the fleet), followed by Maturata, Mawana, Maskeliya, Mawana, Mahseer, Makrana, Mangla, Maihar, with coastals on Matra and Manaar and a couple of Cunard cargo "Mickey Mouse" boats to get sea time in for a ticket. I never sailed on the black four but frequently met up with them in Calcutta or Colombo.

Regards

HRS

Marcus Cardew
30th October 2004, 16:01
I was an apprentice on the Maturata 1968, then 4th Mate Mahout 1969, and did the coast on Matra, Mangla, Maipura, Macharda, Maipura over the next few years. I remeber doing a Christmas relief in Dundee January 1969 on a ship with a Jute fire. Was it the Masirah? I forget.

Stuart Smith
30th October 2004, 22:10
undefined

Yes I was with Brocklebanks from 1961 to 1966 as Marine Engineer Apprentice studying at Riversdale College for 2 years, then 18 months at sea followed by 1 year back at college. I then sailed coastal for a couple of months as 5th Engineer before reluctantly leaving to work in the Car Industry as a draughtsman. I say reluctantly but on hindsight seeing what happened to the British Merchant Service after 1968 I guess I made the correct move.
My first ship was SS Maidan followed by MV Mahout, it was her second voyage. I then sailed on SS Makrana. Each of these trips were the usual UK to India (Calcutta) back to UK except for the Mahout trip which also included the Eastern United States on the return leg. I had a great time in the Service and have thought about my time with Brocklebanks many many times. This year I sourced the two volume History of Thos. and Jno. Brocklebanks and though it only goes up to the 1950s the second volume took me right back to my youth.
I am now aged 59 and still working in the automotive industry as senior designer for suspensions for Delphi Automotive, Luton.

Marcus Cardew
1st November 2004, 20:45
I was an apprentice on the Maturata 1968, then 4th Mate Mahout 1969, and did the coast on Matra, Mangla, Maipura, Macharda, Maipura over the next few years. I remeber doing a Christmas relief in Dundee January 1969 on a ship with a Jute fire. Was it the Masirah? I forget.

I checked back through my sight book and found that it was the Masirah. I spent 10 days onboard firefighting 4 & 5 holds full of blazing jute

R798780
3rd November 2004, 19:11
This site is beginning to look like a Brocklebank convention.

I'm interested to hear that you have sourced the Brocklebank history. I have just received a couple of pics from Ian at Table Bay Underway Shipping, Bengali built in 1901 and Pindari built in 1891. I'm curious to know when the white band round the hull was introduced as these, certainly the Bengali, are without it. And is there any truth that the width of the band related to deceased members of the Brocklebank family, half an inch each. I can't remember if it was 21Ĺ or 22Ĺ inches when I was sprog. Any ideas?

HRS

Bob_F
4th November 2004, 06:06
Sailed with Brocks from 1956 - 62 as jun 4th - 2nd eng on various ships starting with the maiden voyage of the Masirah. The white band around the hull came from the East Indiaman sailing ships. Brocks were the only company where the band went right around the stern.
Cheers.
Bob_F

david smith
4th November 2004, 08:55
Correct me if I am wrong, but white lines went around the stern on British India S. Nav, Shaw Savill, J&C Harrisons and other companies.

Bob_F
5th November 2004, 05:40
Correction - You are correct but the white band I was refering to was the East Indiaman band which was about 20" deep and seemed to be lower on the hull.
Cheers.
Bob_F

Stuart Smith
10th November 2004, 23:22
Stuart Smith here.
I found out some information the other day that when MV Mahout was sold off by Brocklebanks her new owners were trading in and around the Persian Gulf when she was bombed by an Iraqi plane during the Iran/ Iraq war in September 1982 resulting in the ship sinking.
Does anyone have more information about this please?
It grieves me to think of my old ship and cabin now sleeping with the fishes.

Stuart

Stuart Smith
10th November 2004, 23:25
To follow up my question re-MV Mahout, I have a nice photograph of her which I could scan and post if anyone is remotely interested.
Stuart

Fairfield
11th November 2004, 05:20
Indeed she was,under the name of EVAGELIA S she was bombed off Bandar Khomeni in September 1982 and subsequently sank.Look forward to seeing the pic.Saw her and MARKHOR building at Stephen/s yard at Linthouse.Take it you/ve seen my pic of MARKHOR in Glasgow.

R798780
11th November 2004, 10:34
I would love to see a pic of the Mahout. What livery is she in? The ship suited both the black and the white, but I'll always have a soft spot for the original Brocklebank livery as she was when I was sprog on voyage 4. Maihar and Mahsud (1969) came out with a blue band on white hull. Did Mahout / Markhor ever have the blue band?

Any pics of Brocklebank ships (and Moss Tankers) gratefully received, I've still got glaring holes in my collection.
Hugh

Stuart Smith
16th November 2004, 23:02
I have attached a Calcutta hand tinted photo of MV MAHOUT which I purchased there in 1964 when I sailed with her on her 2nd voyage. Have also attached a similar style photo of Makrana (was she the most photographed of Brock's ships?). I have been looking through my collection of slides, for the first time in 30 years, and have some nice photos of Makrana I took in Govan Dry Dock when she was in for a complete hull repaint prior to deep sea sailing around August 1964. I will get them scanned and will post them when ready. I also have quite a few photos of ship-mates, Engineers and Deck, I was with on Maidan 1963, Mahout 1964 and Makrana 1964 but unfortunately my recollections of names is not too good. I don,t know if it is right to post these without permissions. What is the general feeling on this?

Stuart Smith

Stuart Smith
16th November 2004, 23:21
To Fairfield
I have not seen your photo of Markhor in Glasgow, where can I view it?

Can you post your Brock's photos as I am trying to put together a folder of Brocklebank ships and my time with them so that my children will have some idea of what their old man did when he was younger.
To anyone else who has Brock's photos is it possible for me to see them?

If anyone wishes to get in touch then please do at spkl22@btinternet.com

This site is giving me a lot of pleasure since I recently discovered it
Cheers

Stuart Smith

Fairfield
17th November 2004, 05:42
It/s in the Brocklebank Forum.She was loading pipes in Princes Dock.

R798780
17th November 2004, 11:20
Stuart

You have the same pic of Mahout as me only better - courtesy, I think, of Druba Paul (may be an "H" in there somewhere) of Calcutta. Mine is untinted and try all the enhancement tricks I know the masts still barely show. My Mahseer, Malakand, Maskeliya and a couple of others come from the same source. I wondered if Mahout was photographed in the Suez Canal, seems she's flying black ball over "G" and I'm scratching my brain to remember where that was.

I've got some slides of others but at the mo I'm projecting them and using a digital camera. It works after a fashion!!! I need a film/transparency capable scanner but I'm torn between the resolution and the bank manager.

Ian Shiffman in Capetown - Table Bay Underway Shipping - has some very good shots and a web site but is still cataloguing 380,000 various photos and my request is months old.

Regards

Hugh

Fairfield
17th November 2004, 14:16
I was lucky enough to see her leaving Glasgow when she loaded steel pipes and this is her passing downriver from Princes Dock.As a member of the local World Ship Society branch I also was in a party shown round her.

R798780
17th November 2004, 14:31
Thanks for that I'll check it out. I'm up to Win 98 and probably stay there for a while, computer driven by steam, a bit like a car I once had, but that's another story.

Regards

Hugh

Stuart Smith
18th November 2004, 13:16
Fairfield
Thanks for posting the Markhor photo. I left Brocklebanks in 1966 and therefore didn't see, or remember seeing, any Brocks ships in anything but black hulls. I must say, now having seen white paint, that the black scheme is in my opinion much better. Maybe its just that its that scheme that reminds me so much of those times.
To everyone who's ex-Brocks I send regards and it seems that there is a definate cameraderie existing between us. Long may this 'bond' and web site prosper.
Keep posting those photographs.......its good to share.

Stuart Smith

Bob_F
21st November 2004, 04:44
The famous Mr Druba Paul wouldn't happen to be nicknamed 'The Ghost'. He used to come aboard the ship in the morning to check if anyone wanted anything up town or have mail posted, he always brought back a cert. of posting. I think he knew about everyone sailing with Brocks as we used to ask him who was on the various ship in port. I am trying to remember the barber who used to come aboard, he used to tell stories about about the senior officers when they were in the lower ranks.
Cheers.
Bob.

Bob_F
22nd November 2004, 02:05
Ron - The Barber was definately in Cal. as we used to go up to the GOH in Colombo for a haircut, after we would sit in the lounge facing the door and eye the 'Talent' from the passenger boats that were in. I brought home a few dozen of those figures myself for the kids. Over the years, most of them have dried out and disintegrated but the wife has salvaged about 8 that we have still got. Not bad after about after about 45years, boy I feel old now.
Cheers
Bob.

Marcus Cardew
23rd November 2004, 18:38
I was 3rd Mate onboard the Markhor during September/October 1972, and remember Loading a few miles of 16" pipe in Glasgow. we then proceeded to Rotterdam, got told that there was a bomb scare, and spent some twitchy hours searching them all....

tanker
23rd November 2004, 18:53
For Stuart Smith: go to the gallery photo MAHOUT for more information of
the MAHOUT struck!!

tanker
23rd November 2004, 18:55
Excuse MARKHOR Photo!!!!

Kevin radford
25th November 2004, 20:17
Hi I am a new member to this site and found your message straight away
I served my time with Brocklebank /Cunard Brocklebank on deck from 1967 to 1970
The ships I sailed on were Matra, Masirah(twice), Mangla(twice) and Scythia
The mists of time leave me with a poor recollection of names of shipmates but I do recollect my first trip with another apprentice whose dad was a doctor in Birkenhead. Another deck apprentice called "Mike" who was from Torquay and two engineer apprentices from Halifax and Bolton respectively.
Perhaps you may recall them.

Kevin

Steve
25th November 2004, 20:41
Welcome to SN Kevin

Lister
13th April 2005, 14:57
I was junior sparks in 'Maihar' 'Masirah' and 'Mahronda' 1952-54. Dave Sime was senior in Mahronda. Skippers Butterfield and Nutall. You lads talking about the 1960's make me feel very old. Regards.
Ian Lister (Tiny)

mcook
19th April 2005, 16:20
I was with Brocks during this time as a Radio Officer. I was on the Mangla June 17 to Nov. 22 1968. Makrana 28 Nov 68 to 3 April 69. Manaar from April 15 to June 23 69 and the Makrana again from July 6 to July 13 1970 and finally the Masirah from Aug 25 to Nov 20 1970.
Malcolm Cook

michael james
19th April 2005, 18:51
There are some near misses in this thread between 1968 and 1970.
I was 2nd Mate on Mangla 18.1.68 to17.6.68, Masirah 5.8.68 to 31.10.68, Mawana 31.10.68 to 3.1.69 and 10.2.69 to 15.6.69. Then a couple of coastals on Maskeliya and Andania prior to taking ticket, last trip with Brocks was Mahout 2nd Mate deep sea then Acting Ch Off on Coastal 18.6.70 to18.1.71.
To Malcolm Cook. You and I signed on and off respectively ss Mangla at Las Palmas on 17 June in 68.
To Kevin Radford your name rings a bell we may have crossed paths on Masirah and/or Mangla
To cboots you donít give exact dates that you were on Mawana but you will know from the above dates whether we sailed together. Regarding the old man on Mawana , I know exactly who you are referring to, no names no pack drill, but initials were GBT. Nice chap but of the old school.
To Ron & Co I remember the Ghost in Cal. One of the good uns.

R798780
19th April 2005, 22:41
If you're searching for a name for the old man on the Mawana would that be Yegg Thomas?

michael james
19th April 2005, 23:10
Hole in one Hugh. I did 5 long deep sea trips with him in various ships Maturata,Mangla & Mawana

Marcus Cardew
29th April 2005, 18:23
Some while back, someone recalled a 1st Mate called Alec. I sailed with him on the Luxor in Summer '74. After a bit of Dredging, I came up with "A. G. Pritchard", when last seen, I think he was heading towards the Omani Navy... Any sightings?

R798780
29th April 2005, 19:26
Thanks Marcus, I got the Alec / Alex, the Pritchard had me beat. He relieved Eric Hepenstall.

Harry Nicholson
10th November 2005, 23:23
If you're searching for a name for the old man on the Mawana would that be Yegg Thomas?

Hello chaps, I was 2nd R/O on the Mawana for her maiden voyage and joined her when she was being fitted out on the Clyde. I was with her Sep 58 to March 59.
I dont remember the Captains name but he was past middle age at the time. Apparently he had been torpedoed on a Brock ship off the Californian coast. The ship did not sink but the US authorities refused to believe that the Japanese could be so close to their coast and the captain had to attend a hearing where it was put to him that the problem was due to an internal explosion. His reply was "That's the first internal explosion that I've seen surface and rake my ship with machine gun fire". Later on some fragments of the torpedo warhead were found and analysed, they proved to be made of British steel from some old scrapped ship which had been sold to Japan.
I recall that one day on the Mawana he was peeling an apple on the wing of the bridge, ate it, took out his false teeth, cleaned them, wrapped the peelings and core and his false teeth in some paper and threw the lot over the side.
Every day he and the chief R/0 would take a constitional on the boatdeck, pounding up and down together for ages, I think my cabin was below them... anyway they used to disturb my sleep.

Cunarder
10th November 2005, 23:35
I sailed on Mawana as 2nd R/O in '68 and '69 with Phil Marriott as the Chief R/O. He left at that point to go join "The Pig".

To Cboots - I'd have to dispute your description of Mawana as "a wreck". I found her a most comfortable and efficient ship...

Oh happy days........
Alan Marsden

Derek Roger
11th November 2005, 16:02
I was with Brocks from 63 to 75 . Regarding the period you refer to and ships you were on ( 68-70 ) I have checked my book and the only match in time seems a possible I think is the Mawana Jan 69 where I did a costal from Liverpool to Middlesboro . Chief was Bill Beeby and I think the 3rd eng was John Sandy ( from Redcar ) I was 4th Eng . We sailed north about around Cape Wrath with bloody awfull weather ; Mawana was a bit tender and we took some realy big rolls . I left in Jan and had a couple of days home then flew to Calcutta to Join the Markor as 3 rd eng . George Simmons ( Dundee ) was skipper and I think Phil Owen was mate . Norman Hatton was an apprentice on my watch and Rickey Ward was 4 th Eng . I cant remember for sure who the Chief was Bill sherrat I think ? if not it was George Black .

Regards Derek

Derek Roger
12th November 2005, 01:05
We all remember him well . Would give him a shopping list and he would go up to the new market and purchase for about 1/4 what we would have paid .
Eggs / Ducks eggs were a favorite.

I recollect he had a very British name . Called himself Alistair Simm I think ? Certainley not what he was Christened .
Can anyone confirm Alistair ?? or if I am wrong what it was ??
Derek

R58484956
12th November 2005, 12:11
Welcome Kevin to the site of SN, enjoy all it has to offer, we do.

wood butcher
15th June 2010, 17:45
Hi, been reading about Brocklebank with great interest.I worked on quite a few in Tilbury Docks in the 50s when i was serving my apprenticeship as a shipwright.My late Brother sailed on the Malakand as Carpenter in the early 50s his name was Harry James but obviously he would have been known just as Chippy but someone hopefully might remember him .

billyboy
16th June 2010, 00:23
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer.

sidsal
17th June 2010, 21:28
Harry: The master who was torpedoed was probably Eccleston with whom I sailed on teh old Mathura just after ww2. The ship concerned was the Fort Camosun which was torpedoed hours after leaving on her maiden voyage from Vancouver> She was again torpedoed in the G of Aden and didn't sink. I joined her in Greythorpe on the Tees where she was being repaired after being brought home. It was then under Capt Dick Humble and he was master on the trip I was on her too. He was very nevous when we went again through the G of Aden where the Japs were very active.

EricAirlie
21st June 2010, 15:25
I sailed with T & J from 1965 to 1973
as Apprentice to second mate Manipur, Maipura, Manaar, Mahanada,Mahout (Motor not steam) and Luxor (Moss tankers)
Most memorable was in Boston east coast dock strike - 3 months sitting on 8,000 tons whickey from Glasgow. Plus we got the east coast bonus - eventually!
Second on the Mahout on Blue Port charter to New Zealand with Captain Tait last trip for him with his wife.- previously he was Staff Captain QE Party Party Party

Eric Lauritsen

davidsaile
9th November 2010, 14:53
Hi I am a new member to this site and found your message straight away
I served my time with Brocklebank /Cunard Brocklebank on deck from 1967 to 1970
The ships I sailed on were Matra, Masirah(twice), Mangla(twice) and Scythia
The mists of time leave me with a poor recollection of names of shipmates but I do recollect my first trip with another apprentice whose dad was a doctor in Birkenhead. Another deck apprentice called "Mike" who was from Torquay and two engineer apprentices from Halifax and Bolton respectively.
Perhaps you may recall them.

Kevin
Just saw this posting from Kevin Radford from 2004 (better late than never). I was the engineer apprentice from Bolton. I recall that the other deckie was Mike Wilde from Torquay and the other engineer apprentice was Tony Shaw from Halifax. Great memories from that trip. If there's anybody out there who sailed on Masirah or Mawana around 1968/1969 it would be special to hear from you.

alex mcwilliam
15th March 2012, 02:14
just saw the poet by Eric on memorable trip on Maturata.Boston strike 1969 .I was engineer on that trip. Alex Mcwilliam.... Hello Eric its been long time ...we had some good times

Tony Selman
15th March 2012, 11:46
Alex, I remember you very well. I was the R/O on that trip and the subsequent trip. You were on both I am almost certain. I think you were 4/E from memory, or was it 3/E. We had some great parties in Boston and we had had very good relations with the local natives! I might even have a photo of you buried in the depths somewhere. There is a photo of Maturata alongside in the snow in Boston in my Gallery. Good to hear from you again.

alex mcwilliam
15th March 2012, 15:07
Hi Tony
Good to hear from you to.Yes that was good times in Boston .
I know live there !!!!
Cheers Alex

alex mcwilliam
2nd July 2012, 20:50
Alex, I remember you very well. I was the R/O on that trip and the subsequent trip. You were on both I am almost certain. I think you were 4/E from memory, or was it 3/E. We had some great parties in Boston and we had had very good relations with the local natives! I might even have a photo of you buried in the depths somewhere. There is a photo of Maturata alongside in the snow in Boston in my Gallery. Good to hear from you again.

Hello Tony,
Yes we did have some memorable days in Boston.I moved here soon after,still talk fondly of those days.
Hard to believe it was such a long time ago. Was just in East Boston on Sunday,not quite the same
Cheers Alex

Tony Selman
2nd July 2012, 22:53
Hello Alex
Yes it was over 40 years ago but we had a good set up in Boston. Lots of parties with the nurses but can't remember the hospital. Got to know a family in East Boston and through them I became a Boston Bruins fan and I follow them to this day. I can remember going ashore on one freezing cold night and making a call to a nurse I was 'friendly' with and a car pulled up and asked for directions to the sailing ship that was a restaurant near where we were berthed. The lady in the back 'just loved my accent' and the group invited me to dinner and we had a most enjoyable evening. Typical of the American hospitality we received during that time. Cold weather but warm memories.

alex mcwilliam
2nd July 2012, 23:31
Hi Tony
The Hospital was named

alex mcwilliam
2nd July 2012, 23:34
Hi Tony,
The hospital was named BOSTON HOSPITAL FOR WOMAN mow known as Brigham Hospital