What can you remember

tsell
22nd March 2010, 01:52
Who remembers the voyage on rangitata departed nov 1956 london
Capt Hopkins in command and in Wellington picked up the U.S.Navy explorer
Admiral Byrd are any deck officers still around Ch Officer was Phil Odgen
What can you remember

Airman

If you Google 'British Pathe' there is a brief film showing Sir Anthony Eden's departure from Royal Albert Docks in 1957 on the Rangitata. A couple of good shots of her.
Be warned, the Pathe News site is very addictive!

Taff

alex page
23rd March 2010, 03:40
I think you will find that was Paul Ogden .Later became Master last heard of ashore in P and O London office back in the 80's
Alex

rivet
27th April 2010, 00:24
Captain Ogden is still going strong i sailed with him in the 60's and i had a chat with him
on the 23rd April at the Durham Association Ladies lunch in Liverpool.
Rivet

john palmer
2nd February 2013, 13:54
I was 'Tiger' to Commander P.A.Ogden aboard the " CAMBRIDGE" on Voyage 12. . .and still have the ship's Christmas menu which was 1961. The Captain was a real pleasure to look after, and I remember he was a great fan of the Ian Fleming character James Bond, and used to spend some of his leisure time around afternoon tea,in his day cabin reading from the collection of new books he always had with him. . . . .and frequently loaned me the Bond books. . .to 'educate' me! I remember also, that while in Athens the ship's agents there offered him the use of a chauffeur driven car for sightseeing one afternoon which he declined personally, but offered it to me ! As I said, a real nice man and a pleasure to look after. Following that voyage the ship went to Japan to be broken up, I believe, and while I would have loved to have done that trip with Captain Ogden, he had reccomended me for a Second Stewards position and shortly after I was sent down to Falmouth to take over the HINAKURA. Oh what times they were. Thanks for reading and keep well.