Brandenburg,sank jan 12th 1971 in Dover Straits.

strangelights
21st March 2010, 20:45
Hi,i,m looking for any information concerning the "Brandenburg",the west german freighter which sank on Jan 12th 1971,after hitting the wreckage of the "Texaco Caribbean" in the Dover Straits,with the loss of most of its crew members.I,m looking for info regarding the crew members,list of names,who survived and who didnt.also of the 32 on board,was they all crew or some on a budget type cruise?also what type of cargo was it carrying?,from where and where to.also any info regarding the court action taken by the relatives of the lost crew members.what was the final outcome?i,ve found many German websites regarding the incident but unfortunatly i cannot translate with my antique pc.any info would be greatfully received.Please note that info is purely for my own research as a hobby and not for any commercial purposes or gain. P.S.,any info at all concerning the ship will be most welcome.MANY THANKS.

Ron Stringer
21st March 2010, 23:16
If you scroll up the page, just above the time display, you will see a grey band across the page. At the extreme right of that band is the legend Search Forums. Click on that, type in the name of the ship in which you are interested and press Go. You will get a listing of all the postings on the site that refer to that ship. For the Brandenburg and the Texaco Caribbean there are plenty of them.

Good hunting.

strangelights
22nd March 2010, 08:48
Thanks for your help.Just tried that but no new info.i,m sure somebody out there will be able to help.

cueball44
10th May 2010, 22:12
the 'brandenburg' sank after ignoreing warnings about the wreck of the 'texaco caribbean', she steamed right through the middle and ripped her bottom out sinking within minutes with a great loss of life,it seems it was all down to the ships captain's negligence, it was mentioned on a programme about 'lifeboats' & 'air sea rescue' on BBC4 on the 9th of may 2010,win hawker 'cueball44'.

strangelights
11th May 2010, 00:00
cheers,cueball.I cant believe i,ve missed that programme.I was aware that it was being made,waited so long to see it.I just hope that it maybe repeated.I,m surprised that it was due to Captains negligence.I thought that it was due to the sunken wreck of the Texaco Caribbean,being wrongly marked by Trinity house.I had heard that the owners of the Brandenburg and familys of lost crew members took legal action.I had always thought that the Niki had sunk due to captains negligence.Not the Brandenburg...thanks for your reply.

Ron Stringer
11th May 2010, 00:14
cheers,cueball.I cant believe i,ve missed that programme.I was aware that it was being made,waited so long to see it.I just hope that it maybe repeated.I,m surprised that it was due to Captains negligence.I thought that it
nk due to captains negligence.Not the Brandenburg...thanks for your reply.

If you are in the UK, have a look here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00s96rw/Sea_Fever_For_Those_in_Peril/

strangelights
11th May 2010, 10:18
Cheers Ron,i watched the whole prog.very interesting stuff.I didnt know that you could on here.My pc skills are very limited.A while ago i contacted the owners of the Brandenburg-(Hapag-Lloyd) to see if they could give me any info of if their ship was at fault or not but they was far to busy to help.I think i,ll have to try and learn German so i can check out the other websites. Thanks for the link..

Ron Stringer
11th May 2010, 10:54
Cheers Ron,i watched the whole prog.very interesting stuff.I didnt know that you could on here.My pc skills are very limited.A while ago i contacted the owners of the Brandenburg-(Hapag-Lloyd) to see if they could give me any info of if their ship was at fault or not but they was far to busy to help.I think i,ll have to try and learn German so i can check out the other websites. Thanks for the link..

That is the BBC site. ITV have a similar arrangement at

http://www.itv.com/ITVPlayer/default.html

and Channel 4 are at

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/4od/

andysk
11th May 2010, 12:21
...... I think i,ll have to try and learn German ......

You could always try copying the German text into Google Translate, link from Google search, this gives a reasonably good translation from the major European languages. It will throw up some oddities of course but on the whole it's pretty good.

I just tried it with Indonesian into English, and got a surprisingly good result. One oddity though - the translation of Indonesian phrase "Menunggu Pandu Laut" came out as "waiting for Sea Scouts".