Rfa Gold Rover

R736476
22nd March 2010, 02:33
Today 22nd March 2010 is the 36th anniversary of RFA GOLD ROVER being accepted into service from her builder Swan Hunter, Wallsend on Tyne.
GOLD ROVER is the longest serving of the Rover class having surpassed GREY ROVER which was in service from 10 April 1970 to 15 March 2006. Great ships!

TARBATNESS
22nd March 2010, 03:17
Great ship. I have served in her as 2/O (1979/80) and CO (2004) and each time was great.

Mick Spear
22nd March 2010, 06:06
Great ship. I have served in her as 2/O (1979/80) and CO (2004) and each time was great.

Great ship indeed. Been on her a few times myself. Second Steward 97 and 5 times as Supply Officer 2002 onwards.
Mick S

Lancastrian
22nd March 2010, 09:32
Nevertheless its time we were building a replacement.

sailorbear
22nd March 2010, 21:14
Great ship indeed. Been on her a few times myself. Second Steward 97 and 5 times as Supply Officer 2002 onwards.
Mick S

Hello Mickey, served with you on the gold in 2003/4 as Atlantic tanker south, was seasick most of the way from capetown to mare harbour, it was seeing you green around the gills that changed my mind on leaving and I stayed!, hope you're well matey? and like you said Great ship!

Ian Jameson
30th March 2010, 19:51
I have some great memories of RFA Gold Rover having taken her away on her maiden voyage from Wallsend.I spent 16 months aboard ,with a couple of leaves in between .It was my first rfa and after that my sea life centred on RFAs .

King Ratt
2nd April 2010, 11:33
Great little ship. Served in her as 1st RO when she was FOST tanker May through Sep 1984. Never a dull moment during that period.

AGAMEMNON
7th April 2010, 15:29
Served in her a few times, but she did me a very bad turn on 1 Sep 1990. And she was quite new then!!!
Anyone else here out there on that day?

hillshepherd
8th April 2010, 06:48
Sounds intriguing, Agamemnon. Aything to do with steering gear - she had problems a couple of times in the 70's and let Angus down badly once resulting in a bent Arrow. Worst Gold moment I recall was when we drove under in the North Sea, looking for a RAS course. Can't remember if you were on the bridge but we fell into a huge hole and buried the fore part right up to the bridge, if I remember. It was the most awful feeling I ever remember, Goldie fighting and shuddering to get back into air and daylight, and when she was up we started counting the damage. That's how you and I became the face of the RFA in the quality press !

AGAMEMNON
8th April 2010, 15:27
Sounds intriguing, Agamemnon. Aything to do with steering gear - she had problems a couple of times in the 70's and let Angus down badly once resulting in a bent Arrow. Worst Gold moment I recall was when we drove under in the North Sea, looking for a RAS course. Can't remember if you were on the bridge but we fell into a huge hole and buried the fore part right up to the bridge, if I remember. It was the most awful feeling I ever remember, Goldie fighting and shuddering to get back into air and daylight, and when she was up we started counting the damage. That's how you and I became the face of the RFA in the quality press !

More to do with having no rudder, Hill Shepherd. The steering gear worked perfectly throughout, but there was nowt on the other end!
I do recall you the event you mention in the North Sea (and our subsequent "rocketing to stardom" in the Sunday glossies!). I remember inspecting the foc's'le and the bulwarks had been set out, separating from the deck-edge. We could see down into to the focsle space all round, to say nothing of the damaged vents and air pipes. At least we would have sunk with the bridge above water!! Memorable times. BJ

AGAMEMNON
8th April 2010, 15:33
I was also in "Goldie" for HM's Silver Jubilee Review. Had a good job as Cdre Black Sam's SJO. Have some wonderful memories not just of the review and Sam and Joyce, but of the BBC Outside Broadcasters on board! CSB caught them unawares!

KEITH SEVILLE
11th April 2010, 17:47
Just for the records Gold Rover was towed in the Mersey to Lairds for drydocking earlier today.

Regards

Burned Toast
25th November 2010, 21:54
I have some great memories of RFA Gold Rover having taken her away on her maiden voyage from Wallsend.I spent 16 months aboard ,with a couple of leaves in between .It was my first rfa and after that my sea life centred on RFAs .

A few more tales on RFA Ian, not many have the service you gave to RFA.

Ray(Pint)

Pat Kennedy
26th November 2010, 17:18
Do any of you RFA types remember Barry Copland who was a Supply Officer in Fort Rosalie and other ships?
barry is a friend and ex colleague, working for a local housing association here on Wirral.
Regards,
Pat

Mick Spear
26th November 2010, 23:16
Do any of you RFA types remember Barry Copland who was a Supply Officer in Fort Rosalie and other ships?
barry is a friend and ex colleague, working for a local housing association here on Wirral.
Regards,
Pat

Pat

I remember him. He was ex Harrisons. Please send him my regards, i was his Second Steward on Sir Galahad and briefly on Sir Tristram.
Mick S

Pat Kennedy
27th November 2010, 12:55
Mick,
I will do that.
Regards,
Pat