re Q.E.2...

british hazel
24th March 2010, 02:47
Hi There...
Has anyone had any updates concerning Queen Elizabeth 2, am I correct in hearing that the new owners are considering selling the old girl...
Cheers Dave McConnachy...

S. Toth
24th March 2010, 11:50
yes, the last news I heard was that the owners are close to putting her on the market for sale. That was about a month ago, so that may have changed by now.
Steve

british hazel
27th March 2010, 00:46
Hello There Steve...

Many Thanks for your reply, I thought that I had heard this, where I just do not know, but thank you again...

Such a sad loss, as we could possibly see it going from owner to owner...now that would be tragic ....I think that it should come back to this country where it is well loved by everyone... I just wish that our jewels would stay in this country... they have a habit of disappearing to other places...

Bring the old girl back to the u.k.

Thanks Again Steve...

Dave McConnachy.

yes, the last news I heard was that the owners are close to putting her on the market for sale. That was about a month ago, so that may have changed by now.
Steve

Santos
27th March 2010, 01:16
I'm sorry everyone, but I see the writing on the wall - she must be heading for Alang, seriously who has the money to run her at a profit - nobody, if the middle eastern states cannot, who can.

The wish for her to come home is a foregone hope too - if a ferry ( and there is a list a mile long of those, not to mention RN ships ) cant be preserved there is no hope whatsoever for the QE2.

Lets face it - she wont see the year out.

Chris.

british hazel
27th March 2010, 01:28
Well Santos, I do hope that you are wrong about her, I can see a lifeline for her "Virgin Cruises",... that would save her for a good few years...So come on Sir Richard Branson... Get your cheque book out and save our Queen...
Cheers Dave

I'm sorry everyone, but I see the writing on the wall - she must be heading for Alang, seriously who has the money to run her at a profit - nobody, if the middle eastern states cannot, who can.

The wish for her to come home is a foregone hope too - if a ferry ( and there is a list a mile long of those, not to mention RN ships ) cant be preserved there is no hope whatsoever for the QE2.

Lets face it - she wont see the year out.

Chris.

john g
29th March 2010, 13:16
The costs of running her and maintaining the structure are way beyond anyones means, sadly nostalgia doesn't make money and the interest in her is only limited. People look towards modern facilites on ships we only have to look at P&O and how their approach is changing. Once Oriana and Aurora are moved on the market for classic cruising will have dried up as the new generation expects a different type of "quality". We know QE2 was re-engined but the rest of her machinery is probably way past its "sell by date".
The Canberra and her final destination are long forgotten by most.......it's sad but thats life.

S. Toth
30th March 2010, 12:23
I remember reading on a site I think it was ssmaritime, and a link it gave to another website that at this point she is still worth more intact then for scrap.
I went back to try to find the article, but it has been removed, with almost all other news. I think personally that as summer approaches we will start hearing more, hopefully for the good.

Britishhazel, "you are very welcome"

Best Regards, Steve

roboted
5th April 2010, 18:38
The costs of running her and maintaining the structure are way beyond anyones means, sadly nostalgia doesn't make money and the interest in her is only limited. People look towards modern facilites on ships we only have to look at P&O and how their approach is changing. Once Oriana and Aurora are moved on the market for classic cruising will have dried up as the new generation expects a different type of "quality". We know QE2 was re-engined but the rest of her machinery is probably way past its "sell by date".
The Canberra and her final destination are long forgotten by most.......it's sad but thats life.

True,but what an ignominious(?) end for a great "Trooper"

john g
12th April 2010, 22:06
As a foot note if there was any "mileage (nautical)" Carnival would have invested as the UK and US passengers (guests) would have be there, but the question is for how long ? The nostalia bods will be running out of steam and in 10 years there will be next to zero market..........

Mauretania1907
22nd April 2010, 06:41
Go to www.theqe2story.com for ongoing news and pictures. At the moment, she is still in Port Rashid, in the same condition as when she was delivered to Nakheel. They have a crew of about 36 aboard and the ship is being run by V ships, I believe. She is now registered in Port Vila, Vanuatu, not sure why that is.

PhilColebrook
24th April 2010, 19:09
At the moment, she is still in Port Rashid, in the same condition as when she was delivered to Nakheel. .

In better condition. She has had a dry-docking. Photos are on a thread at the QE2 story.