Moelfre lifeboat song.

ddraigmor
28th March 2010, 23:32
I found this on the internet. It's by a local band - carreg ddu (Black Stones) and is about the 'Nafsiporos' rescue that earned Dick Evans a well deserved Gold medal.

Being a Holyhead lad and ex lifeboat crewman (ion the Trearrdur Bay ILB), I hasten to add that Holyhead also played a huge part in this rescue, although they get no mention.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCKhHS3NaIE

Jonty

hughesy
29th March 2010, 05:21
pretty good tune that jonty, how u doin??
all the best
Hughesy

makko
29th March 2010, 06:06
In 1973, I won the Sayer's Painting Contest which was themed on rescue at sea with special emphasis on the RNLI. My painting was of a lifeboat just after launching, driving into fearsome waves with a distant flare burning in the night sky. I titled it "A Flare For Rescue". Unfortunately, the poster was never returned to me, even though Mr. Sayer had promised it.

My prize was a cassette recorder and I am very proud to say that the presentation was from the hands of Coxswain Dick Evans! My Dad, brother and myself chatted for quite a while with him and found him to be a very kindly, modest and soft spoken gentleman. Knowing that my Dad and Grandfather were ex-Blue Flue, he spoke very highly of the company and encouraged me to go to sea - Which I did.

In the photo, Dick Evans, my brother Neil and myself, David Rogers (in my St. George's School, Wallasey, uniform). We were the only ones to receive the RNLI guide. I later went to tea with the Lord Mayor of Liverpool. Nothing however compared to meeting Dick Evans. I remember vividly my Dad whispering to me,"Look at his hands, son!". You can just make them out in the photo, nut brown, thick, strong and wrinkled. The true hands of a sailor.
Great on you Jonty, you have stirred up a very pleasurable memory!(Applause)

Regards,
Dave

makko
29th March 2010, 22:06
Here is Dick Evan's obituary from the Telegraph:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/1340835/Richard-Evans.html

Rgds.
Dave

ddraigmor
29th March 2010, 22:26
Fine Hughsey - and yourself?

The song has (cough, cough) caught a bit of flak from members of my home town forum.....I am being reminded that Holyhead was also out that night with a Lifeboat Inspector making up the crew!

It's is a good sog - glad it pleased many.

Jonty

makko
29th March 2010, 22:32
Jonty,
Dick's obituary makes plenty of mention of the Holyhead lifeboat being present during the rescue!
Thanks again Jonty, I have put the picture into Member's Faces. My mother has the original cutting. A few years back though, she presented me with an album containing photos from throughout my life. Some are VERY embarrassing, others are very special!
Rgds.
Dave

nhp651
29th March 2010, 23:42
One to treasure, Dave.
A REAL true hero, he was, and a figure to be admired by all today.
And I bet he never spat on a football pitch or took a dive in a penalty area.

ddraigmor
3rd April 2010, 18:51
NHP,

A true local was dick Evans, like most lifeboatmen I met when I was in the sercice. Selfless, unassuming lads who were teachers, waiters, a crane driver, a hairdresser, the local shop keeper - none professional seamen but all good hands in a boat.

Jonty