Palm Line Matty !

Lisa9
29th March 2010, 13:20
Hi

Do any of you remember my father Matty Roberts (Edward) ? He worked on the Palm Line from late 1950's to mid 1980's ?

Sadly he passed recently and I would love to find out more about his merchant navy life, he really did love it !

Best Wishes

Lisa

K urgess
29th March 2010, 13:25
I've moved your post into the Palm Line forum for a better response, Lisa.

ccurtis1
29th March 2010, 14:52
Hi

Do any of you remember my father Matty Roberts (Edward) ? He worked on the Palm Line from late 1950's to mid 1980's ?

Sadly he passed recently and I would love to find out more about his merchant navy life, he really did love it !

Best Wishes

Lisa

So sorry to hear of your dads passing. Deep condolensces to Sandra and all of his family. I sailed with your dad a couple of times in the 70,s, and just last year we had a mini reunion in Tyne & Wear for ex Palm Line lads, where your dads name frequently cropped up and was fondly remembered. Like me, Matty was a Sunderland supporter, even though he lived many miles from the SoL
Kind regards
C.Curtis

cacique
30th March 2010, 00:07
So very sorry to learn that Matty has crossed the bar, condolences to his family and friends.

I sailed frequently with Matty from the early 70's until the closure of Palm Line on various ships, Matty as 3rd and myself as 4th.

An excellent shipmate and a dab-hand at Scrabble (passing away the evenings at sea whilst UMS).

I think I have some photos somewhere, will look them out and post them.

Kind Regards, David Wilson.

Howard S
4th April 2010, 22:51
Lisa sorry to hear of your father's passing - I sailed with him quite a few times both deep sea and on the coast. Truly one of nature's gentlemen. There are many who write in this forum who will remember him better than I.
Best wishes;

johntmorley
6th April 2010, 21:28
Matty was one of lifes gentleman, I did several turn arounds with Matty and was always pleased to see his name on the crewlist. Will be remembered fondly.
John Morley.

dixiedog
21st March 2011, 23:39
I sailed as cadet and 5th Engineer with Mr roberts. He was my favourite Engineer to be on watch with - I always remember he loved a drop of Grog after the watch and always had a great story to tell! he was truly one of my favourite people of all time - I seem to remember nothing flustered him and he would constantly twiddle a matchstick in his hands. he was a great teacher and I learnt a lot from him. I have very fond memories of matty!What a Great Guy!
Sorry to hear of your loss