Bank Line magazine

mackem
31st March 2010, 04:54
Does anyone know how to obtain copies of the Bank Line magazine ?

I'm particularly interested in the magazines covering 1978-1982 when I was on the Hazelbank, Birchbank, Pikebank and Tenchbank.

The middle pages and section showing the list of officers on each vessel is of most interest.

Alternatively, if anyone knows where copies (even old scanned ones) may be available online, this would be greatly appreciated.

Duncan112
31st March 2010, 08:03
They occasionally crop up on ebay, a member caller "pockettrout" appears to sell them (he may be a SN member also)

Good luck,

Duncan

Strath101
31st March 2010, 09:55
Pocket*trout has numerous Bankline crew lists at

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/501/page/60

You will have to go back a good few pages to find other lists

Winebuff
31st March 2010, 10:24
There have been copies on Ebay in the past.

Peter Smith
1974-84

Pocket*trout
31st March 2010, 13:50
All I have left are;
September 1978
March 1978
April 1979
October 1979

If you require any of these please get in touch.

mackem
31st March 2010, 17:52
All I have left are;
September 1978
March 1978
April 1979
October 1979

If you require any of these please get in touch.

Yes please, that would be marvellous.

Please PM me with your contact details and how to arrange forwarding etc.

Thanks again.

Mackem.

Winebuff
31st March 2010, 20:05
Ebay currently offering "Bank Line 1885-1985 Andrew&Weir World Ship Society"

On sale for another 6 days, I've been out bid already.

I must have missed this as left in 84.

Peter Smith
74-84

Alan Rawlinson
1st April 2010, 08:50
Does anyone know how to obtain copies of the Bank Line magazine ?

I'm particularly interested in the magazines covering 1978-1982 when I was on the Hazelbank, Birchbank, Pikebank and Tenchbank.

The middle pages and section showing the list of officers on each vessel is of most interest.

Alternatively, if anyone knows where copies (even old scanned ones) may be available online, this would be greatly appreciated.

I have copies of numbers 6 to 11 which covers the period

Feb 1980
Oct 1980
June 1981
Dec 1981
Sept 1982
May 1983

Would be happy to scan any of the crew lists that you would like to have, and post them here? Just let me know which ones are of interest - or maybe all?

Can anyone say when the magazine commenced and ended?

Cheers

mackem
1st April 2010, 13:40
I have copies of numbers 6 to 11 which covers the period

Feb 1980
Oct 1980
June 1981
Dec 1981
Sept 1982
May 1983

Would be happy to scan any of the crew lists that you would like to have, and post them here? Just let me know which ones are of interest - or maybe all?

Can anyone say when the magazine commenced and ended?

Cheers

Alan, that's very generous and considerate of you.

The first four you have listed are all of interest to me.

Making them available here also allows others to enjoy them.

Thanks again Alan, it's much appreciated.

Alan Rawlinson
2nd April 2010, 10:23
Alan, that's very generous and considerate of you.

The first four you have listed are all of interest to me.

Making them available here also allows others to enjoy them.

Thanks again Alan, it's much appreciated.

No problem.
These are from Feb 1980 ( Hope you can enlarge them OK)
P.S. Lived a few years in Singapore at Mandarin Gardens - penthouse apartment overlooking the Eastcoast anchorage!

Alan Rawlinson
2nd April 2010, 10:51
Is this better?

Alan Rawlinson
2nd April 2010, 10:56
bit more

Alan Rawlinson
2nd April 2010, 11:22
enlarged them here

Alan Rawlinson
2nd April 2010, 11:27
more lists from 1981

Alan Rawlinson
2nd April 2010, 11:29
Dec 1981 - last page

mackem
2nd April 2010, 18:34
Alan thanks so much for taking the time and trouble scanning those pages from the Bank Line magazine, it really is greatly appreciated.

Some may think I'm old fashioned and a sentimental fool, however I've just enjoyed a couple of hours poring over those pages and sharing some fond memories with my (very patient and understanding) wife. Little does she know.......she ain't heard half of it yet !!!

If I met some of those guys again, I think we could talk for days and days.

Seeing some of those names again brought me back to a time when we all mucked in together, worked hard and played hard. Even when things went wrong (as they occassionally do) and a few harsh words were said, we still took it 'on the chin' and just got on with it. It's that sort of spirit and attitude that got us through some long hard days (and nights).

I must also mention that the pages showing the latest vessel movements was quite a nostalgia trip and equally enjoyable. It's amazing to think that many of those ports and places around the globe although fairly well known and visited by folks these days, were completely unkown or unheard of to a lot of people back then. Oh and that includes my late father, a Chief Engineer with BP with over 30 years service.

I was tickled by your comment about Mandarin Gardens in Singapore. Thirty years ago I would never have guessed that one day I would be living and working very close to that address. Although these days I now live in Johor Bahru, the most southernly placed city in Malaysia just north and across the causeway from Singapore. If you knew what those appartments cost these days, wow, it's scary but hey, what a great location.

Thanks again Alan.

Jim the mackem.

Winebuff
2nd April 2010, 19:24
Thanks Alan for the crew lists.
Can not quite get my head round it being nearly 30 years since I passed my 2nd ticket.

As they say "If I knew then what I know now"

PWP (Peter) Smith 74-84

Alan Rawlinson
2nd April 2010, 19:51
Alan thanks so much for taking the time and trouble scanning those pages from the Bank Line magazine, it really is greatly appreciated.

Some may think I'm old fashioned and a sentimental fool, however I've just enjoyed a couple of hours poring over those pages and sharing some fond memories with my (very patient and understanding) wife. Little does she know.......she ain't heard half of it yet !!!

If I met some of those guys again, I think we could talk for days and days.

Seeing some of those names again brought me back to a time when we all mucked in together, worked hard and played hard. Even when things went wrong (as they occassionally do) and a few harsh words were said, we still took it 'on the chin' and just got on with it. It's that sort of spirit and attitude that got us through some long hard days (and nights).

I must also mention that the pages showing the latest vessel movements was quite a nostalgia trip and equally enjoyable. It's amazing to think that many of those ports and places around the globe although fairly well known and visited by folks these days, were completely unkown or unheard of to a lot of people back then. Oh and that includes my late father, a Chief Engineer with BP with over 30 years service.

I was tickled by your comment about Mandarin Gardens in Singapore. Thirty years ago I would never have guessed that one day I would be living and working very close to that address. Although these days I now live in Johor Bahru, the most southernly placed city in Malaysia just north and across the causeway from Singapore. If you knew what those appartments cost these days, wow, it's scary but hey, what a great location.

Thanks again Alan.

Jim the mackem.

There s another set to come...... one of the promised ones does not have a crew section in - must have dropped out....

in 1992 our apartment - a big one on 2 floors - was rented at 2000 per \month approx - then the Landlord sold it to a HK Chinese couple for 1.5 m cash!

Back to the magazines - do you happen to know when they started and finished?

Cheers

Alan Rawlinson
2nd April 2010, 20:14
Sept 82 extracts

Alan Rawlinson
2nd April 2010, 20:17
Last of 82

mackem
5th April 2010, 09:50
Thanks again Alan.......... very nostalgic indeed to see those names, ports and places from so many years ago. I would think your efforts will be greatly appreciated by quite a few other readers who will have their own treasured memories.

As for your old penthouse in Singapore, I guess the numbers you provided could quite easily be multiplied 3, 4 or even 5 times these days.