Searching for lost german steamer Ebenezer / Ebenser

Gnesta Vrakdykarklubb
2nd April 2010, 20:51
In 1877 the german iron steamer Ebenezer / Ebenser sank outside Ringsö, Sweden and has been lost sinse then! I hope there is somebody on this great site can help me find information of ship! The only thing we now is when it sank and the possible name, the info comes from a old newspaper
This summer our divingclub will use a Side Scan Sonar, trying to find it!
Regards Krister(Whaaa)

wightspirit
2nd June 2010, 10:12
Hello Krister

According to the 1877 edition of Lloyd's Register of Shipping, there were 5 ships named Ebenezer (none named Ebenzer). None of these ships were German built or owned. Can you give more information - the exact date of loss would be very helpful.

Dave W

Gnesta Vrakdykarklubb
11th June 2010, 19:30
Hello, The information i´l got is that she sank 26 of may 1877, she hade left Norrland ( north part off Sweden in the Baltic see) and going back to Germany with cargo of "iron ore"!
Hope that it can give some help to find it! Thanks fore trying!

Regards Krister

wightspirit
12th June 2010, 18:29
Hi Krister

I will be doing some other research later next week on shipping losses and will see if I can find something on your wreck. Will let you know how I get on.

Dave

wightspirit
17th June 2010, 15:14
Hi Krister

I tried to find more information today, and all I could find was a reference in The Times (newspaper) dated 6 June 1877 under the heading 'Latest Shipping Intelligence.' My library does not have copies of The Times for 1877 but you should be able to find what you want by paying a small fee for a day's viewing of The Times Archive online. Also, you may find additional information if you contact the National Maritime Museum in Greenwich, London. Sorry I couldn't find more.

Dave

John.H.Clark
17th June 2010, 15:41
No ship of either name appears in Lloyds Disasters at sea 1824-1962. Did she have a name change ?