S.s.troilus.

john russell
29th October 2005, 16:00
can any one help with info about ss Troilus? i was on Laomedon we was toeing a dutch sub to Colombo,for repair,when it came through that a B.F.ship had been torpoed ,i think it must have been Troilus,date about aug or sep 1944, if so it must have been the last Blue Funnel ship lost? when in Colombo met up with a lad off Demodocus,told me german u boats wher in the indian ocean? any info would be welcome,

Bruce Carson
29th October 2005, 16:29
Hello John:
Here's a link to some information on the 'Troilus' and other Blue Funnel ships.
Hope it helps some.

http://www.red-duster.co.uk/BLUEFUN14.htm

Bruce C.

john russell
29th October 2005, 17:24
Hi Brjuce ,meny thanks,will try this, john.russ,

john russell
29th October 2005, 17:34
its me , Bruce nice pic of your dog, ihave a jack russell,///

Bruce Carson
29th October 2005, 17:55
"I have a jack russell,"

Surprise, Surprise, I wonder why? :-)
I hope he (she) ain't as spoiled as my darned beagle.

Best,
Bruce C.

John, it's a long shot as yours is a common name.
When you were a teenager did you ever live on Rotherwood Avenue in Glasgow?

john russell
29th October 2005, 18:28
my dog shes No i wife No2 iam after the cat//. no its not me,dad did get about abit? i love scotland hence the flage now live Margate uk ,get to see few ships ,when we get north gales, new to this pc lark,

japottinger
29th October 2005, 19:32
Troilus, completed by Scotts' of Greenock in 1921 for China Mutual.
had a very charmed life on Malta convoy during Operation Harpoon, she shot down four German aircraft. Torpedoed by U-859 on Aug. 31 1944 east of Socotra, en route to Colombo-Aden-Liverpool, 2,00 tons tea, 400 tons copra,300 tons coconut oil & mail. Crew 71, 12 gunners & 18 passengers. 4 crew and 2 pass. lost.

Hugh Ferguson
9th September 2006, 17:09
can any one help with info about ss Troilus? i was on Laomedon we was toeing a dutch sub to Colombo,for repair,when it came through that a B.F.ship had been torpoed ,i think it must have been Troilus,date about aug or sep 1944, if so it must have been the last Blue Funnel ship lost? when in Colombo met up with a lad off Demodocus,told me german u boats wher in the indian ocean? any info would be welcome,

Correct. She was the last of 52 ships, owned or managed by the company, to be lost during the war. Date of loss 1st Sept. 1944. Postion, off N.W. of Socotra bound Aden. Yours, Hugh Ferguson.

Position of loss was 300 miles N.E. of Socotra. 4 crew and 2 passengers lost.
Survivors landed at Aden, 10th Sept. by H.M.S. Taff. Hugh.