London Thames Workers

karbine
30th October 2005, 14:56
Im looking for anyone who worked in the docks or on the River Thames.

If anyone knows anyone,has photos or has worked there. Please post a reply here :D thanks

danube4
8th February 2006, 15:16
Hi Karbine. I worked for Tilbury Dredging Co, late 1950s. I was a decky on Danube4 tug. We took dummy hoppers from bucket dredgers in docks, to dumping grounds near the Tongue Lightship. Round trip 12 hours. Photo, colours fading with age. On the way out with hopper Bow creek in tow.
All the best. Barney.

jim barnes
8th February 2006, 15:41

hard task there mate to find anyone working in that area

oldbosun
8th February 2006, 21:41
I done a lot of dredging work on the Thames, Salvaged a German wreck just below Tilbury, dredged West India docks, dredged Surrey Commercial Docks, some creeks up river of and just below Tower bridge,dredged Barking Creek, raised a sunken flat top barge by Cutty Sark at Greenwich. Dug up WW2 unexploded bombs, AA shells, and all kinds of other stuff.

Got plenty of pictures around somewhere.

danube4
8th February 2006, 22:14
Hi Oldbosun. What type dredgers were you on. I suppose you worked Bucket and suction dredgers. On the Thames i just worked on the tugs, towing the hoppers to the Barrow Deep, If my memory is right, up by Tongue Lightship. I worked on most type of M.D.& H.B vessels on river Mersey early 50s.: bucket dredger, Hoppers, floating crane. tug. Longest time 14months on big suction dredgers in river and Queens channel. SPD Hoyle and SPD Leviathan.

oldbosun
10th February 2006, 01:50
"Clifton" was a 3 crane grab dredger.No suction. I'll try and post her picture over this coming weekend.

Wilco
10th February 2006, 21:28
I spent 17years in the Port of London as a Cargo Superintendent, mainly in Tilbury but also in the Millwall & on river berths such as Bevan's wharf (cement), Swanscombe bouys & Purfleet Deep Wharf.Although they took a lot of stick the dockers in those days of piecework achieved some remarkable tonnages & were a great bunch of blokes, in general, to work with, with a great sense of humour.

Wilco

danube4
17th February 2006, 00:26
I spent five days trying to deliver twenty tons of paper at Tilbury dock around 1970. Arrive at dock 0600 join queue o lorrys. Book in when office opened. About 1130 Checker would come round, count so many vehicles to stay, and signe your notes and tell you to come back tomorrow. This used to happen every day. About 1530 checker would come again, count the vehicles, keep so many to last untill 1900. There over time and send the rest away. They would usually be finnished by 1830 and go home. They would unload nearly as many vehicles in there over time as they did all day. I was in and out of docks all over the courntry, i never saw a docker do a hard or full days work. The dockers down the ships holds worked hard, they where about the only ones. Liverpool. London and Tilbury were the worst. Felixstow dockers could do more in three days than the other three would do in a week. Barney.

karbine
7th April 2006, 03:29
Nice one (Applause)

Any of you work on the tugs or pleasure boats at all?

danube4
7th April 2006, 10:14
Hi Karbine. Scroll up to page 2. Pic of tug Danube4 towing hopper Bow Creek.
Barney.

billyboy
7th April 2006, 12:26
Nice one (Applause)

Worked on the "crested eagle" ex "royal lady when she was on charter to p&a campbel at nbew haven. took her back to St catherins at the end of charter.
(Thumb)

karbine
3rd May 2006, 22:07
Hi Karbine. Scroll up to page 2. Pic of tug Danube4 towing hopper Bow Creek.
Barney.

Where?

danube4
3rd May 2006, 23:13
Karbine, check all pages on this thread.
Barney.

karbine
4th May 2006, 19:09
All pages? there is only 1 page to this topic..

danube4
4th May 2006, 20:15
Karbine, look at your first anouncement when you opend this thread, 30th oct, along that line on the right you will see a one. Go down one to 8th feb. click thumb nail
Barney.

karbine
4th May 2006, 20:42
Ah yea i see the tilbury dredging photo a while back. Sorry got a bit confused

joe
5th June 2006, 19:43

If anyone knows anyone,has photos or has worked there. Please post a reply here :D thanks
Hi Karbine. Iwas on the mv Claycarrier & her relief vessel ClayTransporter for about a year before going deep sea in1957 Great days.Owned by APCM their names indicate their work. 24 hours on 48 off.If anyone can lead me to a photo & info on their demise I would be grateful.Still view the river daily from Gravesend.Joe

Paul Oliver
6th June 2006, 12:41
Hi Karbine,

I worked with George Taylor on Sydney Ferries and he used to work on the Thames, Barges I think. He retired a couple of years ago and is now living in Perth, WA.

Charles compass
22nd May 2007, 03:02
Worked as skipper upper river above teddington for Thames River Cruises
Pipers Island Caversham,Caversham Princess,Duchess of Ely,Cavesham Lady
have images ect if you require them
Charles Compass

tug
28th May 2007, 12:53
Hi
Some crew names and crew pics of Thames tug crews at
http://www.thamestugs.com.
regards
tug

R58484956
28th May 2007, 18:23
Hamburg = 2, 140 ton locomotives and 2 tenders loaded and strapped down in under 5 hours. London KGV = 1, 5 ton crane loaded and strapped down 3 1/2 days. The year was 1955.

Keltic Star
29th May 2007, 00:29
Hamburg = 2, 140 ton locomotives and 2 tenders loaded and strapped down in under 5 hours. London KGV = 1, 5 ton crane loaded and strapped down 3 1/2 days. The year was 1955.

That's why KGV is now the Excel Centre, doesn't work any better either!

deekeye
25th November 2007, 01:20
Hi Oldbosun been a long time,when I worked on the Clifton I knew you as Popeye yes my old friend this is Dick the Bow Crane driver.

london_lighterman
18th November 2008, 20:53
i think the polar engine from the clay carrier ended up in the blue circle tug called the snowcem.
which became the vortex then the general III

KYRENIA
18th November 2008, 21:19
Karbine, Hi
Worked on SUN tugs 1960/64.Went deep-sea for a couple of years then worked as ships rigger in various shore gangs until 1995. Worked all the dock systems and river berths finishing at Tilbury after the closure of the upper docks.
cheers john.

wood butcher
17th June 2010, 23:02
Hello Karbine ,I served an apprenticeship as a shipwright at Harland & Wolff Tilbury 1956-61 ,working on all sorts of ships .The drydocks were always busy ,talk about another age ,shame all gone now.I remember being on the drydocking of the East German Magdeburg the ship that had a collision in the river it was carrying British Leyland buses bound for Cuba ,the Greeks bought her and i think she sank in the Bay of Biscay when the tow line parted/ all the best.

stan mayes
17th June 2010, 23:38
Hi wood butcher -
As you worked for shiprepairers at Tilbury you probably knew shipwrights Joe Laurie -
John Trailing -Joe Livett and Peter Young and maybe Bernard Jones?
Stan

wood butcher
19th June 2010, 21:57
Hello Stan,only one name rings a bell [Joe Laurie], but i dont know if he worked for Harland & Wolff.I also worked at H&W at Nth Woolwich on the building of a mud hopper named the Asa Binns for the PLA ,at the launching she got stuck on the ways and had to be pulled off by tug .Talk about past times,Cheers.

wood butcher
22nd July 2010, 21:08
Does anyone remember the PLA tug that sank in Tilbury Dock in the 50s?, I think it was pulled over by an Orient boat while acting as a drag.I can remember seeing the mast and funnel sticking out of the water,so she must have settled on an even keel.I dont think that there were any fatalities,but having a mouthful of that water wouldnt help.

tony mullen
23rd July 2010, 02:01

yo ! meet you in the freemasons or the steps,the roundhouse or kent
arms, are these pubs still there. seaman tony mullen, also the bridgehouse or the prospects of wickby etc etc.
seems like another era. have a great day .

wood butcher
30th July 2010, 21:28
Hi Tony i remember all those pubs especially the Steps,it was my local so to speak when i was sailing out of E berth Vic Dock for CP in the 60s,all the crowd used it as a last watering hole just before sailing.

tigercub33
23rd February 2011, 17:56
jioned the pla in69 as a salvage diver working on pla salvage craft from richmond lock to the esturyand also in the docks tigercub33

plasma
6th March 2011, 15:52
I worked for the P.L.A from 1961/ 1987 on the dock tugs. The tug that sank in Tilbury docks was the Walbrook and the Plangent sank in the royal docks, nobody was killed or injured in either incident.

wood butcher
18th March 2011, 21:56
Thanks for that info Plasma,i remember the Walbrook now.The Skippers name was Evans,i believe the boiler blew when she went down and he was blown to the surface.

leslie miller
29th September 2011, 18:23
Nice one (Applause)

I worked in fact was my first job for A J ADRDLY as an apprentice lighterman for a few weeks then signed on as a boy on the Royal Sovereign a GSNCo pleasure boat went deep sea at the end of season had a great time Dusty

tigercub33
29th September 2011, 21:40
Good Evening ,Karbine ,i worked for the Port of London Authority as a salvage diver ,on their salvage craft from 70/81 ,1980,we were taken off the craft and merged with the dock divers,but as there was little to do i left and went to work in saudi

TOM ALEXANDER
30th September 2011, 01:19
Does anyone remember the PLA tug that sank in Tilbury Dock in the 50s?, I think it was pulled over by an Orient boat while acting as a drag.I can remember seeing the mast and funnel sticking out of the water,so she must have settled on an even keel.I dont think that there were any fatalities,but having a mouthful of that water wouldnt help.

Vaguely remember when a lad a tug getting under the stern of a deep sea ship at the entrance to KGV. She got rolled over and lost 5? crew. Sorry no other details. My Uncle Charlie lived on Milk Street in N. Woolwich right by the dock wall and was a crane operator there in KGV so didn't have far to go to work (or to the pub come to that.)

tigercub33
30th September 2011, 22:08
Good Evening Tom ,i can not help you with the tug that was gerted in the KGV back in the 50s as i nevered jioned the PLA till 70,we did have one in the 70s, which was the Sun Tug Vanquisher ,which was gerted outside Tilbury new entrance ,and she was afloat again in 24hrs but of corse she had to go into dry dock and be cleaned out befor returning to work, i have a book on the PLAbut there is nothing in there about the YUG you are on abouti think you will have to go on to their web site www.pla.co.uk unless some one on this site knows better

KYRENIA
1st October 2011, 08:58
Tom, Hi.
I also lived in North Woolwich. Your uncle only had to walk to the corner of Milk St to visit the "California" pub. Having worked on the tugs i cannot recall a tug sinking off K.G.V. Two Watkins tugs sank off Tilbury locks. The CERVIA in 1954 with the loss of 5 crew and the KENIA in 1964.
Cheers, John.

stan mayes
1st October 2011, 12:12
Vanquisher January 1976 -
Vanquisher was stern tug assisting the container ship Jervis Bay from Tilbury locks into the river..When the ship was clear of the locks she went ahead on her engines....Vanquisher was caught in her wash and unable to release the hook she rolled over and sank.
No lives were lost..
Jervis Bay was later on her way to breakers in Spain and the tow line parted -she ended up on a breakwater near the breakers.
Prosit,
Stan

alan ward
10th October 2011, 11:23
I once got a seagoing job with the Alfred Marks employment bureau in Liverpool,went in for a commis/chefs job and wound up back at sea.

The m.y.Destiny was at a private mooring in Kingston,Surrey at the bottom of Sir Donald Goslings garden and wa owned by a mate of his Ronnie Lyons.The Old Man was from Stricks,the engineer off the Royal Yacht Britannia and the deck hand was from the boatyard where she had been fitted out.I was supposed to be the steward but there was no cook and I had to do work in the galley and didn`t have a clue,poor lads.

On night the deckie got pissed,spewed up over the side of his bunk and due to the tumblehome my lower bunk came out further than his so I got the lot on my head.The next day we were heading downriver to Tilbury before going to the med,calling for the night at Cherry Garden Pier downriver from Tower Bridge.Taking a turn at the wheel I put my finger up to my ear for a scratch`What the f++ks that?`My ear was full of dried spew.So my memories of Thames navigation are coloured somewhat by the memory of a perfect mould of my inner ear made of reddish dried vomit.

Toddcarver2
10th June 2013, 20:39
Im looking for anyone who worked in the docks or on the River Thame
If anyone knows anyone,has photos or has worked there. Please post a reply here :D thanks.

I was a freeman on the thames,and can get a few photos.How do I get them to you. I'm a bit new to this site .

Todd

tigercub33
11th June 2013, 20:20
Hi Todd, I worked for the port of London, as a diver, with the salvage department, from there, all the diver's were then brought under one roof, and split into two teams, I worked for the port ,from 1969/1981. tiger cub 33

stan mayes
11th June 2013, 21:06
Hi,
Did you know Eddie Gray - PLA diver during your time?
Stan