picture sought of Glenearne radar /radio room

John Earley
18th April 2010, 16:21
has anyone got a picture of the interior of the radar/radio room of a Glen ? I'd particurly like to see one of the Glenearne (my Father John served on her 1942-1945 )
He often talks of it but his memory now is so poor that he cannot remember exactly how it looked.

He thinks that it was below decks ? although the radar shack on his first ship HMS Despatch was certainly above under the aerials.

I'd appreciate any information even a verbal description would be helpful. thank you
Nick Earley (Son)

teb
19th April 2010, 11:36
has anyone got a picture of the interior of the radar/radio room of a Glen ? I'd particurly like to see one of the Glenearne (my Father John served on her 1942-1945 )
He often talks of it but his memory now is so poor that he cannot remember exactly how it looked.

He thinks that it was below decks ? although the radar shack on his first ship HMS Despatch was certainly above under the aerials.

I'd appreciate any information even a verbal description would be helpful. thank you
Nick Earley (Son)

Nick hope you are successful in your quest for photos of the radio shack on Glenearn tho fear it may be difficult for the period your father served on her. I joined her in South Shields in 1947 where she was extensvely refitted after being handed back to owners. I was 1st R/O for that first voyage a roundtrip Australia . The radio cabin then was situated midships after end boat deck. Regret have no photos of the cabin -Regards Teb (For what it is worth consider that was one of best voyages I had at sea!)

John Earley
23rd April 2010, 23:15
Hi Teb thank you very much for your reply. I guess I was being rather optimistic about a picture but you never know.

My Father's memory is failing him fast which is such a shame. He had such a fantastic memory once and was an excellent story teller.

He contributed quite a bit to the book 'In time of War by Aitkin ( about HMS Glenearn ) although I do not think he got the credit he deserved. he lent his copy of the book to his old Shipmate len Nichols who I think now also has Alzimers. Such a wicked disease.

I managed to buy him another copy from the US of all places.

Dad left the ship in 1945 just before it sailed to Hiroshima .

What equipment was fitted after the refit ? Dad described the shack as being very small, full of equipment with just enough room for two operaters ,one on one off .

ps sorry for delay in responding. Email notification doesn't seem to be working.

Tai Pan
14th May 2010, 18:33
I have a pic of Glengarry GNCS. contact me by email and I will forward.

R651400
13th July 2010, 11:47
I cannot vouch for Glenearn but having coasted Glenroy/Glenartney and have visited Glenorchy the radio room was exactly where Teb refers with 1st R/O's cabin next door.
2nd R/O down on the main deck from memory port side next to the 2nd Engineer.
Glenartney and Glenorchy were Redifon equipped and Glenroy Marconi.

hawkey01
13th July 2010, 14:26
The Denbighshire radio room was at the stern end of the boat deck on the port side with the 1st RO cabin next door on the starboard side. The equipment was Redifon with two R50's rcvrs and the old tx on a good day probably managed 80w. Mind you with the fabulous T aerial I still managed to work UK direct from the Far East. The most modern item was the auto alarm. I have attached a photo of a radio room from one of the Glens which one I cannot remember. I do apologise to the site from which I took it a longtime ago. I was so delighted at the time to find the photo I forgot to note the origin. When I was on her she had been renamed Sarpedon and had a Blue funnel.

Hawkey01

R651400
13th July 2010, 20:36
Neville, Was the Sarpedon you refer to previously Glenlochy and prior to that Ajax/GJXM?
I did a one off on Ajax/GJXM to Oz via the Cape when Suez was closed and what a great trip.
Radio room and 1st R/O in a square box also at the aft end of the boat deck and on this 1930's class looked a bit of an afterthought.
Coincidentally Denbighshire ended her days as Sarpedon 1967/69.
Regds Malcolm

hawkey01
15th July 2010, 15:39
Malcolm,

no, the Denbighshire was the one I was on when she was renamed Sarpedon at the end of the 60's. She went to scrap the trip after I left her in 1969.

Neville - Hawkey01

R651400
16th July 2010, 06:21
N

Misread your posting. Your picture of the radio-room reminds me of both Glenartney and Glenorchy and there must have been other Glenearn class with similar installations by Redifon and others like Glenroy with Marconi.

M

R651400
16th July 2010, 06:39
has anyone got a picture of the interior of the radar/radio room of a Glen ? I'd particularly like to see one of the Glenearn (my Father John served on her 1942-1945 )Nick, Ships in Focus excellent book "Glen & Shire Line" has some rare and unusual photos of Glenearn in colour.
One shot taken from the main mast of the boat deck looking forward shows the radio room and 1st R/O's accommodation directly in the foreground and clearly visible are the two long teak-wood aerial down-lead trunks.

teb
16th July 2010, 11:26
Nick, Ships in Focus excellent book "Glen & Shire Line" has some rare and unusual photos of Glenearn in colour.
One shot taken from the main mast of the boat deck looking forward shows the radio room and 1st R/O's accommodation directly in the foreground and clearly visible are the two long teak-wood aerial down-lead trunks.

Malcolm-On that first voyage after refit on being handed back to owners
1stR/O cabin was on Saloon deck starboard side next to Chief Steward(very unusual I know but thats the cabin I was given) Regards Teb.

R651400
16th July 2010, 12:09
1stR/O cabin was on Saloon deck starboard side next to Chief Steward(very unusual I know but thats the cabin I was given) Regards Teb.Lionel, can you throw any light on what in your time was the eventual 1st R/O's cabin next to the radio room and what was the radio equipment after the refit and handover? 73 Malcolm

teb
17th July 2010, 06:15
Malcolm- It's 60 odd years since I left Glenearn after that first voyage -not to sure I am going to be much help. However on that voyage the cabin next to Radio Room was the 2nd R/O's cabin not sure if it was changed the next voyage or later ?? Regarding the Radio Equipment whilst after all this time can not be100percent certain I really do believe it was Marconi Oceanspan etc.( sorry could not be more definite-Old Age really does suck ) Regards(?HUH)

R651400
2nd August 2010, 02:58
Teb I think the probable reason for the 1st R/O eventually taking the adjoining cabin to the radio room could be because that's where one of the three auto alarm bells would be situated.
In GTZB all distress tfc was handed over to the 1st R/O whose normal duties were almost non radio.
I also think Glenearn was a Marconi installation maybe eventually similar to Glenroy with Oceanspan tx, Mercury and Electra receivers and an IMR emergency receiver which nattily switched over to battery power by lifting up the lid! Regds

Tai Pan
15th August 2010, 09:33
Glengarry was Marconi CR300 and Oceanspan. 1st R/O was next door, aft end boat deck, great for parties. 2nd R/O was boat deck forward next to 3rd Mate.

John Earley
2nd September 2012, 12:36
much belated thanks to everyone who kindly contributed to this discussion. I'm afraid the post notification didn't work and after a while I didn't check back .

My father operated the radar or RDF as he frequently reminds me before we gave the technology to our American allies.(*))

I expect all of that would have been stripped out of the ship when it was refitted in 1947 . I'd love to know what the equipment looked like