Ferry passenger problems at port (BBC News)

SN NewsCaster
19th April 2010, 13:40
An influx in foot passengers because of the flight ban due to the volcanic ash from Iceland causes problems at Portsmouth ferry port.

More from BBC News... (http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/news/int/search/news%2Bsport/ship/-/2/hi/uk_news/england/8629097.stm)

richardc
19th April 2010, 20:19
This is situation normal with the so called Border Control. The problem is they don't necessarily look at your passport but scan it to add to Gordons database. Scanning takes longer than a visual look hence the delays. It often takes up to an hour to get through 'Border Control' at Plymouth due to this process.
On 2 out of the last 3 times I have come back through I have looked out of the window away from the booth and have not been asked to show my face. A couple of years ago we had my daughter and her baby in the car and no request was made to check the identity of the child.
It must be a nightmare for Brittany Ferries in busy times as the ferry arrives at 2030 and departs at 2200 on some nights and the sheer number of cars and lack of lanes ashore make it difficult to clear the ferry.
In my opinion it's all a scam to keep a check on us and keep tabs on the number of times we go abroad!!
Richard.

CAPTAIN JEREMY
21st April 2010, 14:13
This is situation normal with the so called Border Control. The problem is they don't necessarily look at your passport but scan it to add to Gordons database. Scanning takes longer than a visual look hence the delays. It often takes up to an hour to get through 'Border Control' at Plymouth due to this process.
On 2 out of the last 3 times I have come back through I have looked out of the window away from the booth and have not been asked to show my face. A couple of years ago we had my daughter and her baby in the car and no request was made to check the identity of the child.
It must be a nightmare for Brittany Ferries in busy times as the ferry arrives at 2030 and departs at 2200 on some nights and the sheer number of cars and lack of lanes ashore make it difficult to clear the ferry.
In my opinion it's all a scam to keep a check on us and keep tabs on the number of times we go abroad!!
Richard.

They certainly do look at them. I am frequently questioned about the number of stamps I have in my passport. Although I have been non resident in the UK for nearly 30 years, I am more than happy that the UKBA are taking the time to make proper checks, after all there are many stolen British passports out there. I am even more supportive of the checks, as I am just in the process of moving back to the UK. It is mildly frustrating to have to wait while my non EU wife has to fill in a landing card at the booth, despite having settlement visas for both France and the UK. C'est la vie.